Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven lie tutorial

Wed, Nov 6 2019 11:24 AM (120 replies)
  • caker72
    307 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:20 PM

^^^A very well worded and thought out reply,i'm sure other golfers within the wgt community wholeheartedly agree with you.May be a step in the right direction if the feature was updated a bit more frequently so we can give you more feedback?The current tourneys seem to be a great success but from many players better than lil ol me,the consensus seems to be that further work is required.Many of the players look forward to having dialogue with wgt so we can fix the CLEAR inconsistancys within this format.Look forward to a reply.

Cheers.

lil ol me.

ps,sorry for the lack of paragraphs etc.

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:54 PM

Imbroglio:

My only observation is that, while the uneven lie feature is both a welcome and wonderful concept, the effect on distance and direction of the various lies is ridiculously exaggerated.

If you play real golf at all - and know a bit of what you're doing (I'm a 5 handicap) - you know that the effect is much more subtle in reality than is portrayed in the game.

I do agree the distances for the uneven lies are still very iffy. I managed to shot a 63 in the tourny thus far (load of lucky shots) and I guessed half of my lies. You really need to pay close attention to the lie of the fairway and the slope.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:16 PM

Very Good Thread.

Question about dots that are moving up or down.

How hard or less would you hit the ball?   

If the dots are moving down (towards me) , that is telling me the ball is on a downslope.

If the dots are moving up (away from me), that is telling me the ball is on a uphill Lie.

Is that right or is it the other way around.

-Roger

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 10:17 PM

other way around mate .. dots moving toward u indicate a uphill lie .. & vice versa

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:30 PM

mantis0014:

If the dots are moving down (towards me) , that is telling me the ball is on a downslope.

If the dots are moving up (away from me), that is telling me the ball is on a uphill Lie.

-Roger

What 
    Chris said, Roger. Imagine a giant 3ft x 6ft grooved cutting board like this one::top of board towards target.

Lay it on turf where your lie box is. Place a white marble in the middle of any side groove, and it will roll downhill.

If the marbles on the short sides roll 'up' towards the target area it's a downhill lie and the ball will come out low and short with a lot of roll, because your club has been 'de-lofted' by the lie. If the side balls roll 'down' towards the viewer, it's an uphill lie; the ball flight will be high and short with little roll, because your club's effective loft has been increased by the up-slope.

Likewise, if the balls in the 'sidehill' grooves move to the right, the ball is below your feet. A normal hit will curve to the right (the same direction the marbles are moving!)and you'll lose distance. Conversely, If  the ball is above your feet, the marbles are rolling to the left, and the struck ball will curve that direction - left.

As it stands now, the corrections need to be pretty significant for all but the slightest slopes. (this is what is aggravating to real life golfers playing UEL, because IRL only slight adjustment need to be made except for extreme slopes).

The first few posts in this thread have laid out the strategy pretty well. Avoid trouble, even at the expense of distance - a choked down driver or even a 3W may be a better option than bombing that R11 full blast.

Be willing to take 1, 2 even 3 more clubs on approaches to compensate for the uneven lie 'distance penalty'. Distance lost can be 5% to 30% in a green box lie, depending on slope. Yellow-orange boxes mean 40% - 70% distance loss. Red box, you're screwed.

For side-slope compensation I move the aiming point 'into the slope' AND try to miss the ding' on that same side. Ball above feet? aim right, hit late. Ball below feet? aim left, hit early. The larger the slope, the more you have to compensate with aim and meter timing ... and the more club you need to use.

Final point: consider punch shots over full shots - I believe the directional penalty for a sidehill lie is reduced for punched shots.

As pointed out, these are tough courses, and par is a good score. Think of the most recent US Open at Oly; most players finished OVER par!

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:58 PM

gr8flbob:

mantis0014:

-Roger

What 
    Chris said, Roger. Imagine a giant 3ft x 6ft grooved cutting board like this one::top of board towards target.

Lay it on turf where your lie box is. Place a white marble in the middle of any side groove, and it will roll downhill.

If the marbles on the short sides roll 'up' towards the target area it's a downhill lie and the ball will come out low and short with a lot of roll, because your club has been 'de-lofted' by the lie. If the side balls roll 'down' towards the viewer, it's an uphill lie; the ball flight will be high and short with little roll, because your club's effective loft has been increased by the up-slope.

Likewise, if the balls in the 'sidehill' grooves move to the right, the ball is below your feet. A normal hit will curve to the right (the same direction the marbles are moving!)and you'll lose distance. Conversely, If  the ball is above your feet, the marbles are rolling to the left, and the struck ball will curve that direction - left.

As it stands now, the corrections need to be pretty significant for all but the slightest slopes. (this is what is aggravating to real life golfers playing UEL, because IRL only slight adjustment need to be made except for extreme slopes).

The first few posts in this thread have laid out the strategy pretty well. Avoid trouble, even at the expense of distance - a choked down driver or even a 3W may be a better option than bombing that R11 full blast.

Thks Guys a big help, I'm not as confused now.

I kinda worked out the Left/Right Slope with the missing ding. A bit like I play normal with wind.

With the Up/Down slope...  would that same compensation work with Back and Top Spin and of course the extra Distance in Clubs.

I noticed the closer to the hole you the harder it gets. Punch shot, now that's something new to think about.

3W off the fairway is quite good to use if it's a good U/Lie.  Better than an Iron at the same spot..

Just a small tip from me.....  Beth#2... It's better to be Left on Fairway than the Higher Right Side on the Fairway.

Thanks again Guys

Roger

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Jan 3 2013 6:36 AM

FYI, here's another Uneven lies thread that dropped off the first page of Game Tips. It's got some very good advice in it. Instead of copying and pasting what I had written, I thought it best to just link the thread here. It's a must read for Uneven lies.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/146602.aspx?PageIndex=1

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:06 PM

CerinoDevoti:

FYI, here's another Uneven lies thread that dropped off the first page of Game Tips. It's got some very good advice in it. Instead of copying and pasting what I had written, I thought it best to just link the thread here. It's a must read for Uneven lies.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/146602.aspx?PageIndex=1

Grazie, signore!

I composed late night and forgot to include at least your suggested thread. The contributions by yourself, Corwyn, and a few others, on using course design as part of UEL strategy  are particularly illuminating.

Ciao,

Roberto

• TarheelsRule
    5,455 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:09 AM

I've stayed away from the uneven lies for the most part since playing a few times and realizing how unrealistic they are in terms of how real golf is played.

I'm all for the use of these, however what I find is that the effect of a sidehill lie is 2 to 3 times what it would be in real golf.  More importantly you can adjust for uneven lies as you can in real golf by chocking up or down, using a more flat or upright swing, moving the ball up or back in your stance.

The issues are even more pronounced in the rough or in bunkers.  The experiment is a good idea but not really good enough to be used for now.  I'll stay on the sidelines until they get this fixed.

• Imbroglio
    26 Posts
    Fri, Jan 11 2013 11:41 AM

Fully agreed.

RSS