Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven lie tutorial

Wed, Nov 6 2019 11:24 AM (120 replies)
  • PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 8:03 PM

+1 CD though I don't think it's harsh at all what I said.

It's true that a lot of players out there have their ego stroked by being able to ding those robotic strokes but quit when the going gets tough. UL makes it tough so it's easier to spot the good players.

My point is that UL is great for the reason you mentioned. You don't play those same shots every time - the lie makes it different. Making it a better test of ones ability.

To me tier means nothing. I have respect for those regardless of tier that are good to play a game with and can show consistency in their game across EL and UL.

I really like the challenge that comes with UL too. UL Best of Par 4 from the champ tees with champ greens and high winds is a favourite. Olympic Park and RSG are also fun.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Jan 12 2015 2:07 PM

Here's something I posted in our CC Forum. If it helps someone facing this situation, I'm good with that. 

------------------

Did the BPB today. Here's a tale. 

Drew a left to right 8 MPH wind on #2. Need I go on? Quad. 

Hung in there. Got a little groove going on the back and got back to 1 under. On 18 I was woefully early on the approach and ended up in this. 

Bunker

That was the best cam view I had to work with. I even sent a bug report, and took the screeny to share. So, I set up my aim about halfway between the hole and the edge of the green closest to the tree you can see on the right. Dialed in a 25ish yard bunker shot. Ding.

Like to see the 

Result ?

• Zayante
    45 Posts
    Fri, May 29 2015 5:32 PM

I started a new Country Club for players who like Uneven Lies. It can be frustrating to hook up with people for match and alternate shot games that play UEL, so let's band together and make it happen!

Send me a note for an invite or search for Uneven Liers in Country Clubs.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, May 31 2015 8:11 AM

Zayante:

I started a new Country Club for players who like Uneven Lies. It can be frustrating to hook up with people for match and alternate shot games that play UEL, so let's band together and make it happen!

Send me a note for an invite or search for Uneven Liers in Country Clubs.

Dear Zayante,

It has been my idea to make a CC with only UEL players for long time, since more & more players have started to play UEL regularly.

I did suggest WGT the chance to be part of two CC thinking about the same situation but I never received an answer or even a comment about it.

Pity, it would be cool to be part of your original CC and be also member of this particular CC for UEL players.

As only a few of the players in friends list play UEL but now 30-40% of my CC colleagues play UEL, the need to make a separated UEL CC is perhaps not the best option.....however, it would make things easier for everyone.

Good luck with your UEL CC, hope many players join it.

Sincerely, Eric 

• Zayante
    45 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2015 8:16 PM

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the encouragement, it is something I've kicked around a little in my short time here as well. Being a real life golfer I immediately enjoyed the game, but thought it was pretty lame when guys were hitting out of deep rough, horrendous bunkers and crazy lies to stick it 2' from the flag. There was not much consequence for a bad shot until I found Uneven Lies. I still play both ways, and enjoy the competition in either format, but find UEL to be  a great challenge and fair equalizer of levels and experience.

Finding others to play UEL can be a difficult, so I thought if I made a club where everyone is a player would make sense. I am starting to get some members from many levels and destinations and hope we can grow into a strong community.

Look forward to seeing you around !

Tchau, Robert

• GolfNIKE222
    14 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2015 8:59 AM

As a real golfer I agree the effects are greatly exaggerated especially around the green. Also in real golf if you have a sidehill lie above your feet which would cause a slight hook left and a wind of 8-10 mph to the right the effect is to cancel each other and basically the ball will go straight. This does not seem to be the case in WGT. CHIPS that go sideways??? Very difficult to hit an accurate shot when green slope says to play to the ball high right for break, but lie indicates you need to hit to the left for a straight shot always leaving you way off line for the roll to the flagstick and way below the hole. Its so ridiculous I won't play uneven lies until my tier absolutely demands it or WGT makes it more realistic.

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2016 6:35 AM

JimbeauC:

Here's something I posted in our CC Forum. If it helps someone facing this situation, I'm good with that. 

------------------

Did the BPB today. Here's a tale. 

Drew a left to right 8 MPH wind on #2. Need I go on? Quad. 

Hung in there. Got a little groove going on the back and got back to 1 under. On 18 I was woefully early on the approach and ended up in this. 

Bunker

That was the best cam view I had to work with. I even sent a bug report, and took the screeny to share. So, I set up my aim about halfway between the hole and the edge of the green closest to the tree you can see on the right. Dialed in a 25ish yard bunker shot. Ding.

Like to see the 

Result ?

Awesome shot Jim ; )).

I am starting to see that those red square lies can also be played forward if you have a better understanding of the lie, direction & shot type....experience with UEL I guess : ))

Regards, Eric 

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Wed, Mar 9 2016 7:34 AM

Corwyn:
    You can gain a measure of control with a sidehill lie by deliberately missing the ding against the slope,

I echo this comment.  If the fairway dots are moving with any pace side to side, you will need to aim off line AND hit early or late to get the ball on line.  Now, IF WGT were to give us the ability to hit draws or fades by moving the dot on the ball left or right, it would really help.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2016 8:16 AM

I've been observing the "Garden Spot" appears to be a signal to UEL players that you have landed in the most advantagious position off the tee re: the fairway lie, for our approach shots to the greens. I  had a "Garden Spot" call on a layup to a par5 when it hit me.

Anyone else think this could be true?

~CD~

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Apr 17 2016 12:20 PM

CerinoDevoti:

I've been observing the "Garden Spot" appears to be a signal to UEL players that you have landed in the most advantagious position off the tee re: the fairway lie, for our approach shots to the greens. I  had a "Garden Spot" call on a layup to a par5 when it hit me.

Anyone else think this could be true?

~CD~

What is a garden spot?

Eric

• RSS