Forums

Help › Forums

Average Score

Mon, Oct 29 2018 5:06 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hugonaut
    3 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 7:00 AM

I recently moved up to the Master tier. Since then I've been playing ranked stroke matches and shooting below par yet my average score is slowly getting higher. Is this normal and why does it go up and not down? Thanks.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:28 PM

If your scores are higher than your average then that will go up. For 40 rounds anyway.

• Hugonaut
    3 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 12:46 PM

Thanks for the rapid reply. I agree. If I were shooting above par I would expect my average score to rise, however, I am consistently shooting between -1 and -3 yet my average score is slowly inching upward. I would think it would decrease. Something else is being factored into it.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sat, Dec 29 2012 3:51 PM

Courtney is correct.

I'll add this though, once you tier up your average resets and then it is worked out on your scores of your BEST 10 games.

Eventually you will reach a plateau in which you average wont increase any further.

Don’t drop out of games thinking it will have negative affect on your average. You need those games to have the ‘minimum’ amount of games. You need to get to those number of games so your average is no longer affected by bad games.

You can use this as a guide as to what to expect;

• When your average score is equal or smaller than 100 you go from Hack to Amateur.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 80 you go from Amateur to Pro.
    • When it is equal or smaller than 72 you go from Pro to Tour Pro
    • When it is equal or smaller than 67 you go from Tour Pro to Master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 63 you go from Master to Tour master
    • When it is equal or smaller than 61 you go from Tour master to legend 
    • When it is equal or smaller than 60 you go from Legend to Tour Legend*

and

• you need to play at least 5 ranked rounds as Hack before reaching Amateur
    • you need to play at least 10 ranked rounds as Amateur before reaching Pro
    • you need to play at least 20 ranked rounds as Pro before reaching Tour pro
    • you need to play at least 25 ranked rounds as Tour pro before reaching Master
    • you need to play at least 40 ranked rounds as Master before reaching Tour Master
    • you need to play at least 50 ranked rounds as Tour Master before reaching Legend
    • You need at least 100 ranked rounds as Legend before reaching Tour Legend

Notice that those minimal number of ranked rounds are also the number of best rounds used to compute your average in that particular tier. So if you are Tour Master for example, your average is computed with your best 50 ranked round (that's why you need at least 50 rounds to move up).

• Hugonaut
    3 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2012 9:10 AM

Shrude,

Thanks for the information. That's the kind of hard data that I was looking for. I'm not keeping track of the number of games I play but was curious as to how my score was computed and how it factored into my tier.

Thanks again!

Hugonaut...

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2012 10:28 AM

Hugonaut:
    I'm not keeping track of the number of games I play

next time you tier up, look at how many ranked games you have played.

right now you have 101, you would have needed 60 before getting to Master.

Don't avoid bad rounds, you need those to make up your games.

If you avoid them it is harder to lower your average once it does level out.
    (this is where quitters stuff themselves up)

Kiawah Back 9 and St Andrews Front 9 are the easiest to do well on, but getting - 4 on one of those wont reduce your average as much as the same score on say Oakmont, St Georges or Olympic.
    Bethpage is also a course which wont reduce your average much when you do well on it. Bethpage F9, is the easiest to putt on.

Also, beating a higher tier in a Matchplay round will reduce your average by a larger margin again.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Sun, Dec 30 2012 11:34 AM

well said sir !!

• thedex0
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 6:07 PM

When you say rounds do you mean the three hole games or what.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2017 8:43 PM

thedex0:

Old thread so not accurate, however ranked rounds are 9 hole rounds which a multiplied by 2 to equate to an 18 hole "average".Please note Par 3 and 5 courses are excluded fro calculations (and probably Custom Courses).

I have not tried mobile, but believe that all averages are calculated on a nine hole (minimum) score.  

Below is a recent thread.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/444512.aspx?PageIndex=1

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 1:50 AM

thedex0:

The 3 hole games on mobile are in the practice mode and have no affect on your stroke average. I also think the 9 hole coin games on mobile are in the practice mode as well.

• PAGES
RSS