Forums

Help › Forums

Bilko's Wind Calculator Now A Program

Mon, Aug 14 2023 7:11 PM (175 replies)
  • Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 1:55 PM

Aaron17 and the others having heartburn with this program - remember, it was written assuming the you are using the same ball as Bilko did when he put the figures together.  I do not recall which one he used but with the Callaway L33 ball, I normally have to subtract a few yards to get an accurate shot. In fact, that correction even changes depending upon which club I'm using.  If you use Bilko's number - hit the proper club (because you mapped them & know what they'll do)) - ding the shot and your ball goes 3 yards long - then subtract 3 yards the next time you play that hole.  This is why keeping notes will help.

P.S. Pay attention - WGT will change the elevation measurements to inches on some holes just to mess with your head - I will guarantee you that Bilko  not work correctly if you enter the 'inches' figure.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 2:00 PM

For DocDriver - do not think a MAC version has ever been published, HOWEVER, If you can get one of your buds with a Windows machine to download the "Original" program (in Excel) and print out the formulae - you can convert it to "Numbers".  "you have "Numbers" in your MAC as it is a part of their standard program package.  I did this a few years ago for my (rich) MAC playing brothers and it will work.

• WEGiffels
    806 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 2:42 PM

My experience with it shows that the program loses accuracy with either strong winds or large changes in elevation.  A strong headwind (15+) will cause your shot to come up shorter than what the program estimates, and a large change in elevation either up or down (especially up) will also cause your shot to come up short.  It's not a big difference, but it's enough that I always overhit in those situations, especially when short = trouble.  I'm using the L33 Cally Slow Meter ball with G20 irons.

As for the putting program, it's basically useless.  I don't know what ball he was using, but it's off by at least 15-20% on VF or faster greens.

• chank038
    19 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 6:46 PM

You got it right Aaron.

• pdxdriver
    2,628 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 9:44 AM

I have just tried both the wind & the putting calcs,i like them both but they are only as good as the person holding the mouse.Get your putt line wrong or miss the ding either side and it's game over,butl it doesn't hurt to give things a try peeps if they help you with your game.

JMO :)

• Milfshake
    1,260 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 10:41 AM

pdxdriver:

I have just tried both the wind & the putting calcs,i like them both but they are only as good as the person holding the mouse.Get your putt line wrong or miss the ding either side and it's game over,butl it doesn't hurt to give things a try peeps if they help you with your game.

JMO :)

I like to think of these kinda of tools has reverse learning aids.  After a while you want need them, once your eyes adjust to the measurements. I recommend these tools to anyone.. 

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sun, Jan 19 2014 11:07 AM

Wheels65:
    P.S. Pay attention - WGT will change the elevation measurements to inches on some holes just to mess with your head - I will guarantee you that Bilko  not work correctly if you enter the 'inches' figure.

They only do this when the elevation is less than 2 feet, there is no messing with anyone.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Sun, Jun 29 2014 10:25 AM

First of all, I'm computer illiterate....It said it was downloaded and to go to "All Programs". It wasn't there.  What name would it be under?

Also it has "Chrome" in it's name.  I use IE.  Is this a deal breaker? 

• DayDay90
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 3:59 PM

the download wont work for me idk why

• BILLNPATTY
    1,094 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 5:39 PM

I use a Mac computer and the Wind Calculator is not compatible.  Any suggestions on an inexpensive Tablet that would allow the download?

RSS