Forums

Help › Forums

Bilko's Wind Calculator Now A Program

Mon, Aug 14 2023 7:11 PM (175 replies)
  • TommyK1981
    126 Posts
    Wed, Jan 15 2014 7:54 AM

This calculator is way off!! sends me way past the hole every time!! I will stick with my own way of calculating Legend tourney green putts!! Thanx anyway!!

• DocDriver
    2 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2014 3:38 AM

does anyone know a calculator for mac computers?

• Aaronl7
    23 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:16 AM

Hi,

Love your wind program it's great!

Just have a question. It seems when I get over 200 yards away the program goes wacky.  

I have input the following:

To pin: 215
    Wind: 9
    Up elevation: 0                                                                                                                                   Dn elevation: 10

Your program is telling me with a tailwind the shot will go 203 and with a headwind the shot will go 220.

Just from real-life experience a shot 10 yards downhill and a tail wind my shot will go past 215, and if my shot was 10 yards downhill but into the wind the shot will come up short of 215 yards.

• chank038
    19 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 2:29 PM

Aaronl7:

Hi,

Just have a question. It seems when I get over 200 yards away the program goes wacky.  

Up elevation: 0                                                                                                                                   Dn elevation: 10

Your program is telling me with a tailwind the shot will go 203 and with a headwind the shot will go 220.

Just from real-life experience a shot 10 yards downhill and a tail wind my shot will go past 215, and if my shot was 10 yards downhill but into the wind the shot will come up short of 215 yards.

The upill and downhill is measured in FEET not yards.

• Aaronl7
    23 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 10:49 PM

chank038:

Aaronl7:

Hi,

The upill and downhill is measured in FEET not yards.

You're missing the point.

If it is measured in FEET like you say, which would be very odd since 98% of the time the game gives you your yardage in YARDS not FEET, so I have no idea why Bilko would make people convert yards to FEET before using his program, but I may be wrong, the point is still that a shot with a tailwind should go further than the same shot with a headwind!!!

But since you told me his program is in FEET for the elevation, I input the following:

Up elevation: 0                                                                                                                                   Dn elevation: 30 (10 YARDS x 3 FEET)

Your program is telling me with a tailwind the shot will go 197 and with a headwind the shot will go 213.

Please CHANK answer me how it makes sense for a shot downhill with a tailwind will not got as far as a shot downhill with a headwind??? 

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Jan 17 2014 11:51 PM

Aaronl7:

But since you told me his program is in FEET for the elevation, I input the following:

Up elevation: 0                                                                                                                                   Dn elevation: 30 (10 YARDS x 3 FEET)

Your program is telling me with a tailwind the shot will go 197 and with a headwind the shot will go 213.

Please CHANK answer me how it makes sense for a shot downhill with a tailwind will not got as far as a shot downhill with a headwind??? 

While I've never used this ap, the way I'm reading the output is you NEED to select a club that will produce 197 yards if you're hitting with a tailwind and 213 yards if you are hitting into a headwind.

Actually, it looks pretty accurate to me.  In order to get close to the pin, if I'm hitting with winds at my back, I will select a club and adjust the spin to get 197 yards.  With the downhill elevation and tailwind, The ball should carry 215 yards.  If I'm hitting into a headwind, I will select a club and adjust the spin so I can get to 213 yards.  Even though I will gain yardage with the downhill elevation, I'm going to lose yardage with the headwind.

Make sense now?  I'd trust it ... looks really close to me!

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 12:57 AM

Aaronl7:
    You're missing the point.

If it is measured in FEET like you say, which would be very odd since 98% of the time the game gives you your yardage in YARDS not FEET,

I would say you are missing how to you this tool. Distance is in yards and elevation is in feet.

Aaronl7:
    I have no idea why Bilko would make people convert yards to FEET before using his program

You don't convert the elevation to feet because it is already given in feet. You convert it to yards.

Aaronl7:

So your calculation would be:

Yard to pin 215

Wind          9 tailwind

Dn elev. 10 ft divide by 3 = 3.3

Shot distance 206 with headwind 222 yds.

• chank038
    19 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 6:34 AM

Good grief guys.  I've been using I for years and it's accurate 99% of the time, and I'm sure the 1% is when I misread the wind direction slightly. 

WGT GIVES YOUR ELEVATION IN FEET...NOT YARDS...DO NOT CONVERT ELEVATION TO YARDS...YOUR ELEVATION INPUT TO THE CALCULATOR SHOULD BE IN FEET...THE RESULTING CALCULATION GIVES YOU THE STRENGTH OF THE SHOT YOU MUST HIT.

Now, first kick yourself, then apologize...You're welcome.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 9:31 AM

You're both missing the point.Like Chanko said you don't have to convert the elevation at all. You just enter it into the proper box. The elevation is almost always given in feet, the only time it isn't are a few instances at St. Andrews like # 1  # 10 and  # 12 where the elevation is given in inches. And quite easy to tell. It clearly says ft if the elevation is in feet and in if it is in inches.

• Aaronl7
    23 Posts
    Sat, Jan 18 2014 11:06 AM

Ok I will rephrase my question...

Hi,

Just from real-life experience a shot 10 FEET downhill and a tail wind my shot will go past 215, and if my shot was 10 FEET downhill but into the wind the shot will come up short of 215 yards. 

Maybe I understood the program, but I thought the program was telling you: Ok you have 215 yards to pin, 9MPH tailwind, 10 FEET downhill, you ball will only travel 203 yards, maybe the program is telling you to hit the ball 203 yards, and it will finish up at 213 yards?? 

RSS