Forums

Help › Forums

How to read greens?

Sun, Dec 15 2019 4:25 PM (20 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:30 AM

Following on to my previous post......   When I first started, I had a two putt approach (within reason) to every green.  I didn't try to sink every putt, just get it close enough to sink the next one.  My brain can be a bit slow at times, but after quite awhile I was sinking those first putts.

Nowadays it's every putt, I try to sink...but back then....   2 putts was good..

-Roger

• darrenpaulLMB
    180 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 3:57 PM

I've noticed that the dots on the putting grid mean nothing most of the time. as far as I understand it, if the dots move slowly there is hardly any break, if they move quickly then it indicates that the break is more severe. but I have seen on countless greens where the dots are hardly moving, then as soon as you hit the ball you discover a severe break that you had no idea was there. on the other hand, the dots could be moving quickly indicating a severe break, you adjust your aim to compensate for the break and your putt misses because the break wasn't as severe as the dots on the putting grid would leave you to believe. anyone know why this happens?

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 4:14 PM

The dots move along the gridlines to show which way a ball would roll down that gridline. If your view is not looking directly parallel to the gridlines, then the moving dots will be showing a component of both the sidehill slope AND the elevation change. With significant elevation change in your putt and a non-parallel view, you can get fast moving dots all due to the elevation change with no sidehill component at all.

It makes it very hard to judge the side slopes when you can't get a parallel view. Best to use forward and reverse view, in chip mode, to try and find the most parallel view. And if you can't find a good view, you have to go on experience and by trying to visualise the effect the elevation change AND side slope combined is having on the moving dots. 

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 6:03 PM

If you go into your game settings we now have a new feature under the Advanced tab, called Display putting power.  if you turn this on, it will help give you a general guide as to how much power you should use.  It includes a calculation for, green speed, distance and up and down slopes but not side slopes.

• DECDEV
    749 Posts
    Tue, Jul 8 2014 12:12 PM

i

WGTadmin2:

If you go into your game settings we now have a new feature under the Advanced tab, called Display putting power.  if you turn this on, it will help give you a general guide as to how much power you should use.  It includes a calculation for, green speed, distance and up and down slopes but not side slopes.

hi i have found how to turn on the feature but cant see it when i took it out to course for practice round

regards

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Tue, Jul 8 2014 5:20 PM

DECDEV: Can you take a screenshot of your view when putting so that we can see what you are viewing? Thank you.

http://take-a-screenshot.org/

• DECDEV
    749 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 3:21 AM

Sorry my bad found it i was not in practice mode just quick nine mode

i cant upload maybe its me i took picture with snipping tool   but anyway i have seen it  its a green bar in area of swing meter

Thank you

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 4:53 PM

darrenpaulLMB:
    then as soon as you hit the ball you discover a severe break that you had no idea was there

Don't forget to include the dot behind you. The first part of the putt may move more quickly or slowly than the others. This is especially true from the fringe. (I almost never putt from fringe.)

• Yasch
    310 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 5:46 PM

DECDEV:
    i cant upload maybe its me i took picture with snipping tool 

It would be all too easy if we could upload images taken by using snipping tool. You were not wrong to use that resource, but in order to post that image in the forums, a site such as tinypic needs to be utilized.

http://tinypic.com/index.php

There are numerous videos on Y**tube if you require additional help.

Cheers!

• browndude54
    3 Posts
    Sun, Dec 15 2019 8:46 AM

Darren paul i totally agree with you i dont understand why this is or why they have the beads running at different speeds as its not consistant

RSS