Forums

Help › Forums

How to read greens?

Sun, Dec 15 2019 4:25 PM (20 replies)
  • Woogmoog
    45 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 12:24 PM

Hi everybody, I'm having a hard time to understand how it works the grid and the dots to read the greens, I read a great tutorial here for putting wich helped me a lot.

Someone could help me and other beginners? Sorry to be asking this, but I bet it's not only me that have this kind of doubts. 

Thanks to everybody.

Wagner.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 4:34 PM

hi me also plz help how do i read the dots wat do they represent how much do i move shot n so on? any help wpould be appreaciated

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 4:47 PM

559.aspx

136065.aspx

two of the best...read....re-read...n.....read again.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 5:07 PM

Oldbayrunner:

559.aspx

136065.aspx

two of the best...read....re-read...n.....read again.

+1 and I still read them again and again

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2012 8:52 PM

Just read it and learned something already....

The pointer will be checking to see if the elevation changes behind the hole in future...might stop a few coming up short.

• Woogmoog
    45 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 4:42 AM

Ok, Thank you guys, I read both tutorials the one about the speed is the one I mentioned here on the post. That one it really helped me. 

But I read the following 2 you send the link and I still don't understand how can I see the break point on the green and place the cursor properly to have more accuracy while putting. We know this is very hard, but some puttings seems to be almost impossible to nail it, ie, like when you have dots going to your right on the beggining and then from the left close to the hole and the speed of them is fast.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:20 AM

Woogmoog:

Ok, Thank you guys, I read both tutorials the one about the speed is the one I mentioned here on the post. That one it really helped me. 

But I read the following 2 you send the link and I still don't understand how can I see the break point on the green and place the cursor properly to have more accuracy while putting. We know this is very hard, but some puttings seems to be almost impossible to nail it, ie, like when you have dots going to your right on the beggining and then from the left close to the hole and the speed of them is fast.

I agree double breaking putts are very hard to gauge well. For these putts I try to break the putt into 2, working out the speed and break for the first break, then do the same for the second break.

There is a post on how to calculate breaks, I have tried to use this with limited success as it is very complicated but here is the link.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/99536.aspx

As you play the game take notes of where to try and play the approach to. sometimes you are better off leaving a longer but makeable putt rather than a shorter fast breaking putt. As like most players putting is still work in progress for me but is satisifying when you do nail a difficult putt.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 11:41 AM

ditto to all the advice so far.read it all again and then practice , practice practice. some times all you can do is get a long putt in close to make the second one easier.but the sure method is practice practice practice.have fun on the greens !!

• Woogmoog
    45 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 5:55 PM

Yeah that's true, what I was trying to do myself maybe you'll think it's a little bit crazy but sometimes worked sometimes didn't. 

I was trying to see how many dots would be aligned at the beggining of they start to move. That shows a clean flow between them and right after starts to get messy if they are moving fast. I tried to cross a straight line, taking in count the bumps and etc... and see where it would be the point I would aim to. As I said sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. And that's why I made the post I just don't know how to do it in another way.

So first I knew I needed to understand everything about to come up with a solution that works for me. I read everything you posted guys and I appreciate your support but I'm still trying to understand.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 2:17 AM

The First thing I do is to look at the putt in reverse View.....  This will give you a better idea of what the dots are doing. It can also give you a totally different dot movement too.

In Reverse View... If there is a grid line that goes straight from you to the hole....  the ball will sit on one side of that line......  follow the dots on the side the ball is sitting on.

Sometimes you might see the dots going in different speeds either side of the line...

One side of line is slow, the other fast,  use the line the ball is sitting on.

If you see the dots moving towards each other to the grid line... then it's a straight putt, but be careful... there could be one square that the dot could move in one direction.

Change back to normal view and Putt, if you're a miss the ding putter.

When in Doubt....  Just hit it straight....  If there is a snake.... hit it straight, but as previously said... note down what it does for next time.

If you on an angle in reverse View.... then it's just close your eyes and hit  for me....lol, well not that bad.

Of course....  on some holes, those theories get thrown out the door.... then is just experience that gets you through it.... some times....lol

-Roger

RSS