Help › Forums

Back spin when wind is with you

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 20 2014 5:28 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HikerJnr
    5 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 10:04 AM

How can I hold my shot on the green it keeps shooting off the green - it's ok for 9Ir and PWs but anything below the spin doesn't work when the wind is 20 mph behind me - I have G20 clubs which normally work great but this is the only shot I can't conqueror.

Any ideas?

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:17 PM

HikerJnr:
    Any ideas?
    Land the ball earlier!!  simple! how do you think top players coped when they only had starter irons and starter balls to use:)

• chris5214
    1,937 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 3:19 PM

even with a top premium spin ball like the lvl71 Nike you won't be able to hold the green with that kind of tailwind, much less with the balls you are using .. which means you will have to allow for some measure of roll out depending on tail wind strength, green slope, etc ..

even with top irons like the Burners & R11's some roll out allowance will have to be accounted for with winds of that velocity, albeit substantially less than with the G20's ..

• foregettaboutit
    227 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 6:04 PM

Unless you are you using a ball with a high spin rating, downwind shots on certain holes are virtually impossible to stop dead. Its no coincedence that most players that produce good scores are using the top level nike ball. Only a few out there (like PRIESTESS) can probably use any ball with success.

Fore

• saleason
    1 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 3:01 AM

changing subject sorry,,, dont know where to publish this,,,,  I,m getting quite sick of people quitting the game because they drop 1or 2 shots,,, they are sore losers in my eyes,,, surely a ban for a certain length of time would prevent this,, ie,, (quit more than 6 times in a week 1 week ban).  just an idea thats all,,,

thanks for reading

saleason

• HikerJnr
    5 Posts
    Thu, Dec 6 2012 9:23 AM

If the green is too small then that's not an option. From the other guys replies it looks like the type of balls will help - I don't buy Nike balls so maybe that's it...

I thought it might of been something simple I was not doing thats why I asked.

Thanks for all your input thou...

K.

• steveosh
    102 Posts
    Tue, Dec 18 2012 8:01 AM

What i do, with out wind I find the ball will go 10 yards short with full backspin. so if i am 170 yards to the hole with full back spin the Ball will go 160ish yards.

I find hitting with the wind >10 mph  I find the ball pushes 5-6 yards  and <10 mph i find it pushes the ball 6 yard or more  so with less than 10mph wind I'd hit that ball 170 and will land before the tee, depending on how much spin you have. and more than 10pmh i would hit it 160-165 .

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Wed, Dec 19 2012 6:14 AM

There are also just certain shots you won't be able to hit with the G's.  Bethpage has a couple.  Olympic and Oakmont have a couple.  St. George and St. Andrews too.  If you draw the wrong wind on one of those holes, you just focus on trying to hold the green.

You can still score well with the Gs.  

All the lower level clubs serve to do is teach you the game inside and out.  That way when you get the R11s you should be able to fly it and stick it as well as play some run out based on previous experiences in knowing the greens AND your ball flights.

Embrace it.

• Jimmyboy661
    4 Posts
    Wed, Apr 30 2014 11:34 AM

I agree with you. It has happened so many times to me also, or take gimme 6 ft putts. why play the game 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Apr 30 2014 1:10 PM

The longer the club the less back spin it can produce, and the less likely you will be able to stop the ball on downwind shots to the green.

But. When the hole is playing downwind you have the opportunity to boom a drive so you are making your approach shot with a shorter club than normal.

So part of the equation is knowing how to use ball spin to get the longest drive possible so your approach shot can be made with the shortest iron.

Indeed with a following wind you can drive the green on some par 4's and not have to make an approach shot.

• PAGES
RSS