Forums

Help › Forums

Virtual U.S. Open Qualifier Winner Announced, and more...

Fri, Nov 26 2021 12:50 PM (192 replies)
  • TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 5:52 PM

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 7:46 PM

PRIESTESS:

Over the rounds the winds normally level out. if you get bad winds in one round you will probably get better in the next and vice versa

Thing is, as the first round of the VUSO was set up, there's only a few strokes, via Eagle, that can be made with "good"-AKA tail winds, right?

The par 5 on the  front 9 requires a tailwind to get on the green in two for an eagle putt, or you're hoping for a punch in.

The back 9 par 5 is pretty tough (IMO) to get an eagle putt with a "good wind" as the ball loves to roll to the back...but...tail wind there is better than head wind any day.

Then the 17th...my danged 3 putt for par there, grrrrr... needs a proper wind to have a good chance at Eagle putt.

So even with "bad winds", it doesn't make that much of a difference at Oakmont...but again we're talking the moderate winds...been awhile since I've been on that track with heavy winds.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 8:19 PM

MBaggese:

So even with "bad winds", it doesn't make that much of a difference at Oakmont...but again we're talking the moderate winds...been awhile since I've been on that track with heavy winds.

And you can bet that heavy winds and slow greens will show up at some point...wgt's way of saying, "Eff all you mooks!"

;-)

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 9:11 PM

mkg335:
    And you can bet that heavy winds and slow greens will show up at some point...wgt's way of saying, "Eff all you mooks!"

Ya know...I've noticed Champ 14.5 greens in some weekly tourney's...that would really make Oak stand up and roar!

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 9:14 PM

Heavy winds and champ 14.5 at Oak would be like playing on an ice rink in a perpetual motion machine.

• PRIESTESS
    10,700 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 3:36 AM

mkg335:

Heavy winds and champ 14.5 at Oak would be like playing on an ice rink in a perpetual motion machine.

Be like playing in a real Open no?? Didn't see many scores under 60 in the real one did you:)?

• PRIESTESS
    10,700 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 5:11 AM

MBaggese:
    The par 5 on the  front 9 requires a tailwind to get on the green in two for an eagle putt, or you're hoping for a punch in.

I disagree there:) you can have very slightly wind against and still make it if you hit the  driver on the other FW to the right.

The last par 5 on the back the 12th i had a tail wind which is not what you want off a shorter tee although the pitch back is a cert bird. Ideal windl there would be slightly holding.

• PRIESTESS
    10,700 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 5:15 AM

MBaggese:
    So even with "bad winds", it doesn't make that much of a difference at Oakmont

I agree!!  Oak is about not leaving them tricky downhill sliders which i failed to avoid in round one but did make a few to hang in there with a solid score.You cannot be off with the putter around Oak .I started par par which did me a favor because it wound me up and got me pissed:) 28 on front. Let 2 putts slip by under 9 feet on the back and a relatively easy 11 footer under the pin on 18 which brought me in with a 30 on the back. Was looking for 29 min , but i'l take the 58 and move on:)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 9:37 AM

PRIESTESS:

mkg335:

Be like playing in a real Open no?? Didn't see many scores under 60 in the real one did you:)?

Indeed, it's the closest thing here to the real thing.  Feel like I'm in good company with an opening 58.  Was -8 through 15 then managed to play the last three holes in -4...doubt I can can count on doing that again.

;-)

• AgentBrown123
    907 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 2:55 PM

Nice rounds guys/girls... Always tough to keep in it mentally after f ups...

I managed to miss birdie on the par 5 4th from 5 feet, leaving it 2 feet short because I thought I shifted down from 50 to 20 meter... It was on 20 down to 10 increment...lol!!.... In the past I would have gotten flustered by it and folded. Was only -4 going into tough holes 8 and 9, went birdie birdie for 29. Then had 8 straight birdies for 27. I'll take it.

Good luck rest of way all.

AB

RSS