Forums

Help › Forums

StoneCold's Putting Clinic

Mon, Sep 24 2018 2:25 AM (96 replies)
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Thu, Oct 8 2015 8:27 PM

Tightrope:

Imagine that to mean "1-2 widths of the line moving across the meter". I guess that line is 3-4 pixels. You can not visually detect see any smaller increments anyway.

I assume you are practising the "miss ding" technique? If you do that, then I suggest you leave it and practice the "ding" technique instead. Then, eventually, you will learn how much difference a missed ding makes. It is club dependent.

In my opinion,  only very short putts, less than 4 ft, should be intentionally "missed". A missed ding increase the "randoms" that affects the shot and you'll become a victim of circumstances.

yes look at how the putt moves , knowing how fast the dots are going.

use practice, and find you prefered speed.

a perfect read and hit to soft or hard will still miss.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2015 3:30 AM

siggipj76:
    a perfect read and hit to soft or hard will still miss

Yes, very important. The speed needs to become your "constant", something you can rely upon and the factor you base you break "calculations" on. I usually try to have speed for 2 ft behind the pin, some go for 3-4ft and will have a straighter, more stable, roll at the risk of having another tricky one if missed. Too precise with distance and you might end up an inch short because the elevation indicator is rounded, it might say 1up but in reality might be almost 2. But above all - when the ball slows down it will break more so "need for luck" percentage increases when you play it very soft.

I play, or played, a lot of alt-shots in the days when you could do that without disco, and I'd say the majority of the players have problem finding the right amount of power for their putts. A Putting Pal is a good investment.

• LuckyTaurus
    2,633 Posts
    Tue, Nov 10 2015 5:41 PM

where do i find out how to use the grid lock feature? an how does it help

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 3:23 AM

Next to the aim point there should be a small lock, just click it. After that you can drag the grid around. Why?
    Well, imagine the distance between the grid lines is around two feet. You look at them and the putt look straight, but inbetween two lines there is a little something (or in the case of Cabo and Whistler: A big something). You do not see it because the grid lines do not go over it. If you suspect that, unlock the grid and drag it so you can see the whole intended putting line.

That said, if you have not discovered "why", then maybe it is too early to make things complicated. Just keep it in mind and when you see a putt make a turn that you did not see comning, then you think to yourself "ack, I should have unlocked and checked a bit better".

Either that or you do as many others and post in these forums: "Game is broken, straight putt went way to the right" :)

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 5:33 AM

Tightrope:

Either that or you do as many others and post in these forums: "Game is broken, straight putt went way to the right" :)

very succinct

haha

• MTBR
    182 Posts
    Fri, Nov 13 2015 6:56 AM

Tightrope:

Imagine that to mean "1-2 widths of the line moving across the meter". I guess that line is 3-4 pixels. You can not visually detect see any smaller increments anyway.

I assume you are practising the "miss ding" technique? If you do that, then I suggest you leave it and practice the "ding" technique instead. Then, eventually, you will learn how much difference a missed ding makes. It is club dependent.

In my opinion,  only very short putts, less than 4 ft, should be intentionally "missed". A missed ding increase the "randoms" that affects the shot and you'll become a victim of circumstances.

Then I suggest you leave it and practice the "ding" technique instead"  I see your reasoning but having to hit that small line also increases your chances of hitting it on the wrong side of the line. off dinging will only move the ball a half cup at most. You have to move the arrow AND off ding it. I can aim at a quarter inch space on the correct side (uphill into the break) and hit that mark much easier than i can a fine line. I've increased my chances of hitting a decent putt way more than your chances of hitting a perfect putt only  a pixel away from hitting it on the wrong side of the line. When you hit it on the wrong side of the line, you're taking out all the break you put into it by moving the arrow. It forgives a hell of a lot more at least on the correct side of the dinger than it does a miss on the wrong side of that dinger. So, off ding is not perfect by all means, but it does increase your chances of being on the correct side of the cup (high side). A short sided putt never had a chance, where at least a putt on the high side had a chance of falling in. Short shots or putts NEVER fall in. Increase your odds of making a decent putt by at least hitting that dinger on the correct side and NOT trying to hit a perfect dinger..Dingers will go immmediately with the break as soon as it leaves the club head, therefore your ball is headed the wrong direction in a break situation. You would have to move that arrow way more to sink a dinger putt. and that's IF you actually hit your mark perfect....I have never looked at this game as trying to be perfect, only increasing my odds of making a great shot or putt by hitting a general area or mark. YOU may be perfect but I'm not. The precision comes in by hitting the correct power more than it does hitting a perfect dinger. ONLY a straight in putt would require a dinger but i get forgiveness on that too sometimes. POWER on the meter and arrow movement is KING. (not the ding) ....only the correct side within a quarter inch or less (half cup at most). I use this method on every shot, not just putts....Into the wind sideways and into the break sideways

If i told you to hit that mark within a quarter inch on the correct side of the line, you could do it.(Left or right)....If i told you to hit that dinger line perfect every shot, odds are you can't do it.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2015 8:39 AM

True what you say, MTBR, but my point is that one should not start "off dinging" before one has learned how to read the putts since it gives a bad reference. Did I read it wrong? Did I not "off ding" enough? If you ding, then you can immediately evaluate your read.

"off ding" should, IMO,  considered as an advanced technique and it will only help you if you already know how to read the putt.

Many newbies are looking for short cuts, but no technique can help you if you can not imagine the balls path by studying the dots and the elevation. And your imagination can not help you unless you can also calculate the power needed for the ball to reach the point you aim for. And that point is not the hole, it is a couple of feet behind :)

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Mon, Nov 16 2015 8:55 AM

Tightrope:
    "off ding" should, IMO,  considered as an advanced technique and it will only help you if you already know how to read the putt.

+1

• MrCinelli
    6 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2016 1:24 AM

Choppography:

Best putting guide I've read to date based on content and ease of application.

%0
  • WGT Green Speed Chart
    SLOW STANDARD FAST VERY FAST T 11 T 12 CHAMPION
    10 0.9 1 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5
    15 1.35 1.5 1.65 1.8 1.95 2.1 2.25
    25 2.25 2.5 2.75 3 3.25 3.5 3.75
    30 2.7 3 3.3 3.6 3.9 4.2 4.5
    50 4.5 5 5.5 6 6.5 7 7.5
    60 5.4 6 6.6 7.2 7.8 8.4 9
    90 8.1 9 9.9 10.8 11.7 12.6 13.5
    MrCinelli
    6 Posts