Forums

Help › Forums

StoneCold's Putting Clinic

Mon, Sep 24 2018 2:25 AM (96 replies)
  • gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Fri, Nov 2 2012 3:48 PM

Thanks Stony, super treatment of a trick topic!

It helps to know that WGt uses normal rounding for elevation differences; it's in feet if lie is off the green, and in inches when your ball is on the green.

So, if the target is anywhere between 1.5" - 2.5" above or below your lie, the display will read (up or down) 2". Since I'm a formula putter (with adjustments for elevation, break, and wind) and add 1.5 ft on flat or uphill putts to avoid the 'never up, never in' syndrome, on the initial aim check from reverse view I drag the aim arrow towards me that 1.5 ft beyond the hole and note the elevation at that point for use in adjusting the flat formula result.

Downhill and/or downwind putts - especially at the 'O' courses - I may reduce or even remove that 1.5 foot safety factor, depending on how severe the drop is and the length of the putt. 

One last point: if the break is very severe, your ball will take a significantly longer path to the hole than the 'as the crow flies' displayed distance. On putts longer than 6 - 8 ft, you may need to add a bit more power. How much? Depends on severity of the break but I use ~5% if in doubt.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Nov 7 2012 11:54 AM

And my bromance for G deepens.......:::::::::::::sigh:::::::::::::::::

• ddaukas
    20 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:00 AM

Great post thanks for the time of putting together all the pictures.

• Hoangvn10
    162 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 4:36 PM

"Confidence is 90% of the battle, I make almost every putt i hit confidently.  No one will make every putt, but keeping the confidence level high is important" said StoneColdKille. I think this is best putting tip. 100% agreed. 

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:40 PM

Agreed, just use caution on adding too much power IF the putt is severely down hill also.

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Fri, Nov 9 2012 5:42 PM

Indeed,confidence AND making sure the putt is not short.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2012 12:12 PM

wow just read your "clinic" that's in depth and little complicated to understand. (esp about figuring the break in 2 sqares). will have to read it several times , may have questions.

thanks

• cawillis850
    45 Posts
    Tue, Dec 25 2012 1:25 PM

ty for nivlac s clinic. also im a master an you give some tips i havent thought of.i got my notes and of to pratctice .

thanks very much

ps you think it will help me in real golf? putting is my weakness, lol

• looselugnutz
    1,328 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 11:52 AM

A very impressive post, I must say. But I've a putting question for StoneCold, or anyone else who may have some insight. All things being equal (green speed, line, rise/fall, nailing the ding, etc.), am I better off hitting a 30 ft putt at 100% on the 25 ft scale or at 50% on the 50 ft scale? Obviously the distances and percentages don't matter and are only being used here as examples, but does stroking a putt with more power affect the potential of the putt going offline?

Thanks,

loose

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:37 PM

looselugnutz:
    am I better off hitting a 30 ft putt at 100% on the 25 ft scale or at 50% on the 50 ft scale?

I've been putting this way since the beginning-using larger scales for shorter putts- and the one problem with doing it this way is that the misses are exaggerated with the larger scales, particularly if your putter has low balance specs.  That means if you're off a little on your read with the larger scale it actually becomes more than the same miss with the smaller scale. 

RSS