Forums

Help › Forums

StoneCold's Putting Clinic

Mon, Sep 24 2018 2:25 AM (96 replies)
  • DrussTheLegend
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 7:04 AM

StoneColdKiller:
    I completely endorse and recommend you read Nivlac’s putting guide before reading this

I recommend your post is attached to Nivlac's guide as part two - and stickied in the tips and guides section.....

Excellent stuff for anyone looking for that little bit more - and very clearly written and easy to understand.   Two thumbs up, SCK.

I pretty much do everything in your post - but the bit about "playing the averages" was a real eye opener - I will have to seriously consider implementing something along those lines (pun intended).

When my putting is abysmal - I resort to a mathematical formula (similar to Gold's putting method - but for me, a much simpler way to calculate the break).  I have hundreds of putts in the database and I am continually tweaking it as WGT keeps us all on our toes.  But mostly I just look at the putt, imagine the ball sliding along those dots and pick a spot - but when I am consistently way off - I revert back to the old formula to give me some help....

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:53 AM

stickied! :)

very very impressive. 

• Ang1K
    86 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 2:11 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I do the reverse chip view method you presented and it works wonders for judging putts. 

Question?

I recently bought the max putter over my low level ghost. If I read a putt correctly and I barely miss the dinger; 9 times out of 10 it will barely miss on the side I missed on. So, I don't know how/if missing intentionally will increase my odds of making more putts.  

Thanks for the tip on wind. I did not know it affected putts. 

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 3:39 PM

Nice job stoney, thanks for helping out.

• pjctas0822
    4,548 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:25 PM

Yo Stone cant I just webcam with you (camera pointed at my screen) and let you help me that way ? :)

Just kidding . I love it when the Elite players offer advice like this. It is priceless and its because of players like you (I wont start naming names but you know who you are) that makes players like me able to comp[ete at least on a high CC level.

Thanks to all that make vids , post comments, or even give advice to players in PM's or on their walls.

Again I have read this 10 times and I am now ready to change my name from 3puttpaul to 1puttpaul. Feeling motivated again TY.

• gbarto
    141 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:32 PM

Thank you,good to see top players giving back to help all improve. Still for the life of me I have tried the chipping view every which way and still never seems to give me any better read on the break than regular putting grid.

• Funkyjunkie3000
    722 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 4:53 PM

i knew you wer still alive :)

btw really nice guide iv read the 1st half and you sight the putt and use the exact same routine i use apart from i play the ding

• redhottea
    32 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:01 PM

All very true....practise and patience. 

• Willsstrs
    632 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:02 PM

Thanks stone for unveiling your stuff to the world...i remember when u only unveiled it to the Devs and TCC and the chickens...it really helped my putting back then...

the only comment i have is that when you have hilly putts, always do your speed formula BEFORE adding or subtracting for the hill! The ball is only in rolling over the green for the distance to the hole, so doing the speed formula on your Oakmont putt was also working against you...

I found this really come into play on holes like RSG hole 3 where I get on the bottom level a lot and have to putt up. I would always come up short.

Say I have a 30 ft putt uphill 20 ft. I used to say 30+20=50, 25% of 50= about 14 ft, 50-14=36 ft, +2 ft for speed...I ALWAYS CAME UP SHORT...

Now I say 25% of 30= about 8 ft, 30-8=22, 22+20=42 ft, add 1.5 ft for speed, and I get 43.5 ft...and I started to make a couple of that kind of putt!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 5:08 PM

Fantastic post on the art of putting, and I have read many. Much easier to comprehend than others too.

Thanks for sharing and taking the time to do so, useful for every single player.

Alan

RSS