Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Tips, calibrate any putter with this formula

Mon, Aug 13 2018 10:59 AM (49 replies)
  • bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:02 PM

If no one prosecutes, he/she should at least be banned. Strictly an ol' guy's personal opinion.

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Sun, Oct 21 2012 4:03 PM

Oldbayrunner:

SorryThreespot...I didn;t know he tok your material also or would have given you netion also...

No worries, no one recognized it as mine because it's from one not very significant post early last year. Everybody knows nivlac's write up - it's pinned and is the starting point for every beginner who is serious about learning this game.

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 4:41 AM

well after all this time i just looked at this post, due to me not making sure all what i wanted posted wasn't. SORRY, it happens, this formula wasn't stolen or meant to take from anyones ideas or facts,but using the basic STARTER putter Formula, any type of putter can be Calibrated, for the purpose of Distances. Ive had multiple putters and rented a few and have notes on all of what i have used, & what i discovered was eye opening, to me as well as allot of players,

Ok here is the break down,  When calibrating  the 1.st thing you should do, for quick reference!.  is write  down  the total # of movements, Per Each Power Setting,     Example, using  the 300foot setting,   It has a total of 9 movements.  Write down how much power Per movement is Totaling..   Example.    1st. move. 33.33ft.      2.moves= 66.66ft.       3.moves 99.99ft.       4.moves133.32ft.        5.moves166.64ft.       6. moves199.97ft.       7.moves233.31ft.      8.moves266.64ft.       9.moves299.97ft.  

Now, after counting out each  movement  Per each setting,  Than make a graph for quick reference! 

NOTE!

Ok,   you Must Always Use This Rule!  >   ADD 1.Foot,  per every INCH  going up Hill, To get your total Distance. & Subtract 1.Foot Per every Inch going down.

Below, is the Starter Putter formula.

1. 30 foot setting =   5 moves  X  6.ft   = 30ft.       so its =   6ft. `12ft. 18ft. 24ft. 30ft per movement 
    2. 60 foot setting   = 5 moves X 12.ft   = 60ft.    = 12. ft, 24ft, 36.ft.  48ft . & so on, GOT IT?
    3. 150 Ft setting    = 9 moves X  16. 66"  = 150ft
    4. 300 Ft setting   = 9 moves X  33. 33"  = 300ft

TIP:  Watch the green speeds!  On faster greens you may find your 6 foot putts travel an additional foot or two.  You'll need to adjust your ranges for the varying green speeds.

If you're using a putter other than the Starter, you'll need to apply the formula and figure out the movements for yourself.  Draw the putter back slowly and count each time your avatar physically moves. Note the space between the movements to see if they are the same.  If they are the same then this is easy.  You simply divide the number of feet (30, 60, 90 etc) by the number of movements.  If all but the last movement is equal then most likely the last movement is a half and you'll need to do a little guessing.  For example, the 60ft iWi Anser putter scale has 7 full movements and 1 half movement.  If we multiply 7.5 x 8, we get 60.  After a few putts of verification, you'll know if you guessed your measurements right.

TIP:  When you purchase a new putter, always map your distances first in a practice round!  Start with standard speed to get your baseline and then move to the green speed that you play the most.

BONUS TIP:  Male and Female avatars have different ranges and movement numbers on the same putters!  For example, Female avatars using the 30 foot starter putter actually have 6 movements with 5 feet per movement instead of 5 for 6 like the men.  Be sure to watch out for this ladies!

Having plenty of speed is important, because an ideal putt does not fall in the front door drunk.  If you are not familiar with the phrase "Never up, never in", it's all about leaving your putt short.  The ball can't go in the hole if it doesn't have enough power to get there, so good putts will always have enough speed to run 2 or 3 feet beyond the hole.  The added speed is important and helps the putt "hold the line" so it will roll more true. 

When it comes to elevation changes the general rule of thumb is to add 1 foot of power for every inch uphill and subtract 1 foot for each inch downhill.  Please remember that this is not an exact formula. Green speed will have a lot to do with your calculation here, so practice is the only way to zero in on the right approach.  Tinker with it and you'll eventually find the right touch that works for you.

Downhill putts generally go slow.  We strike them with less force because we don't want to ram them way past the hole.  When you are putting downhill you can expect the break to have a more noticeable effect because the ball does not have as much forward motion to fight the break.  Conversely, uphill putts move faster and break less because they are struck firmly with enough power to fight against the break.  When you're putting uphill you're not usually worried about going too far past the hole, so don't be afraid to hit it.  Give it a good stroke and expect less break than normal.  Just like the PGA Pros, you'll want to familiarize yourself with the topography of the greens.  Knowing where to land your approach so you leave yourself a straight uphill putt is crucial to knocking off those extra strokes, especially on difficult courses like Oakmont where position is everything on the green.

Finally, always... ALWAYS pay extra special attention to the color of the putting grid.  Black sections are flat, blue sections indicate an uphill swing and red sections indicate downhill.  The more vibrant the color, the more severe the change in elevation. 

Also, here is the True to form explanation of Green Speeds, 

Explaining the formula in the chat box during game play, however, could be distracting to players not interested in the knowledge.  It seemed to me that more advantage would be gained by referring players to here for proper perusal - good digestion is key to every diet, and that includes golfing tips.

This formula is a three step process.  I recommend that players shoot a round or two solo when first learning to apply it.  The shot clock has an unnerving affect on my arithmetic, and I hope to correctly assume that I'm not the only person who can't add under pressure.

First, let's lay down some constants:

Tournament Speed = -30% (yes, that's a minus sign)

Very Fast = -20%

Fast =-0%

Standard =+10%

Slow =+20%

Got that?  It's a predictable trend, and since most of us end up shooting on Very Fast or Tournament greens, only the top two are really important to remember.  Now, for the formula:

Distance = ((feet to cup - (percentage) + Xft) + (elevation x 1ft)

Confusing, right?  Here's an example:

Imagine that you're 18ft from the cup on a Very Fast green, and the blue panel has a down arrow with 3in.  That means that the cup is 3 inches below the ball, right?  Let's apply the formula:

18ft - 20% = 14.4ft.  On a VERY FAST green, add 2 feet to that for 16.4ft.  Now, subtract 3 feet (3in drop, remember?) and you get 13.4 feet.  As always, add a little bit more to your putt so it doesn't stop right on the rim.  So you'd shoot this for about 14ft.

But what if the panel indicates a rise of, say, 4 inches?  Let's see:

18ft - 20% = 14.4ft.  Add 2 feet to that for 16.4 ft.  So far the same.  But this time, we ADD 4 feet because the cup is 4 inches HIGHER than the ball.  So in this case, we have a total distance of 20.4 feet.  Again, remember to add a little to that to make sure the ball doesn't stop an inch short.  I would shoot this one about 21.4 feet to make sure.

Now let's work these two examples for a Tournament green:

3 inch drop - 18ft. -30% = 12.6 ft.  Add ONE foot for 13.6ft.  Now subtract the 3 feet for the 3 in. drop, you get 10.6 feet.  Again, add just a tiny bit.  I'd shoot this 18 foot putt about 11.5 ft worth. 

4 inch rise - 18ft. -30% = 12.6ft.  Add ONE foot for 13.6ft.  Now ADD 4 feet for the 4in. rise, for a total of 17.6ft.  Now add a foot to that (my rule of thumb, on long level putts and uphill putts I add a foot.  Less for downhill).  Your total is 18.6ft.

Hopefully you can see the trend.  Just think percentage (Tournament = -30%, VF = -20%, etc), then add either one or two feet (depending on VF or T), then account for drop or rise by adding or subtracting a foot for every inch or rise or drop, as necessary.  Then add a bit to make sure.  Once you get into the rhythm it becomes second nature.

This takes PRACTICE!  But mastering this formula will guarantee that you'll almost never three-putt a green again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 10:02 AM

LarkinPat1:
    well after all this time i just looked at this post, due to me not making sure all what i wanted posted wasn't. SORRY, it happens, this formula wasn't stolen or meant to take from anyones ideas or facts,

Hogwash. You are copying directly from the original post and calling it yours. This came right off your blog........Word for word, identical to Nivlac's tutorial and then claimed as yours. WTF are you trying to pull?!!!  And you're failing miserably at learning from the post in the first place. Save sharing your calculations, your credibility is zippo.

****************************************************************************************

PLEASE NOTE -

This tutorial was written for the WGT Starter Putter on Fast and very fast Green Speeds.  If you are on slow or fast greens or using a different putter then the ranges and "movements" discussed within will vary for you.  However, regardless of what the green speed is or the putter you are using the formula to discover your ranges and movements is the same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ability to putt well is the most important tool in your bag because putting represents a whopping 42% of your score.

"Distance control is the key to great putting.  The speed you hit the putt determines its line; therefore, every putt other than a straight putt is determined by how hard you hit it."

This guide will show you how to more consistently control your distance with the putter, so that you can shave a few important strokes off your score.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------by LarkinPat1

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 1:29 PM

Hmnn,

Maybe he should grab Niv's profile as well;)

Putting Avg. Per Hole  1.80
    Putting Avg. Per Round  18.66
    One Putt %  32.48%

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 3:25 PM

That's not yer putter pal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,pal!

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 6:29 PM

PAL? from your tone, i guess I'm far from your Pal,   thanks for that i guess? gee can any one please in plain English explain what is so wrong, that all you say is Pal? in anger  I dont get it.. . when i joined this site a legend shared this information,   so whats the big deal?  this sharing thing has been going on for ever..is there a copy wright? are ya mad  at me because I'm trying to help?  Im sharing?      is there some thing wrong with that? is it a closely guarded secret   Codo's perhaps , just trying to help, am I gaining anything from it?  I doint get what your trying to convey,

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:40 AM

LarkinPat1:
    I doint get what your trying to convey,

It's theft. You are stealing somebody else's work and calling it your own. That is objectionable in most civilized societies. Helping would be referring somebody to the FAQs where that information has been posted for 4 years. You don't even bother to credit the author. 

What do you suppose would happen if you took War and Peace, made a new cover with your name on it and "shared" it with everybody as something you did? How different is what you're doing than looking over the shoulder of the student next to you and copying their answers on your test? You get the idea?

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:40 PM

Yes I get the idea, but first you must under stand some thing, I never thought for a moment that i was plagiarizing anyones work, nor at any time did i think that for a second, i was stealing &/or trying to play make believe that this subject is all my doing, and for you to assume that i did, is also in bad form, i mean its not my fault so many people had done you wrong in life, that its tough for you too see whats real, & just assume.. the information that I'm getting so much flak over is from allot of different players. not just one Author, and most are grateful for the information and some ask ware can they  find it?  think its just as WGT Posted to begin with, lol after all it really is, isn't it, the basic premise after all it was shown to me through an e-mail to begin with, not all but 70% of it, and like you, I assumed, it was from who wrote it, for i never had any reason not to believe him. So I posted it on my profile and added to it as I progressed, adding to my home page,  when some players asked for help i copied it on to there home pages. and that was about the extent of it. Not until i got flooded with thanks from players, & praise for teaching them side by side. I enjoyed it, and still do. Whats even more nuts, Is when I 1ST started & not until Pro tier, I looked and looked for some way to make sense of that dam Starter putter, WGT hadn't yet added the putter formula in its break down form until not so long ago! My point is this, why in the world would anyone keep information under lock and key, for as long as you say this post was originally from, seems because I posted what i thought was Good Stuff, and thought all Hacks, should of had the information given to them, as soon as they joined have it available, & as I'm sure you know,I had only just recently posted. I wish you, and all of the Authors, as well as there friends had  Posted this topic, instead of guarding it. Not sharing is also considered sand bagging too.  So anyway I'm Happy as hell its out there now!  It's about time, don't you think Its popular now? as it should of been! lol  

• LarkinPat1
    83 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 11:50 PM

wow so quick to judge!  go on call me a  post thief. I know you know what they say, about when you assume about others, well it's true.

RSS