Pitch Shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 17 2012 5:18 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:28 PM

cadillac1961:
    We need a special factor counting for lies and distances.

Then go out and figure it out like all the others that know how to use it did. There is no chart or formula that would cover the way a pitch works.  It all starts with understanding how the pitch works and that guide is invaluable for this.

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:41 PM

del.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 2:51 PM

cadillac1961:
    Would be illustrated when some people here would participate in order to find a basis for it.

This is what is hard to do. Pitches are really influenced by ball type and green conditions. It would not be fair to say a particular pitch is going to go so far because of this. The only way you'll know is by trying.

For instance, using the CG64 (pitches 17) and a Callaway (s) ball, I can get that shot to stop right at 17 yards with full backspin. It will hop and stop on a flat green. The exact same shot with a Tour-SD ball will go about 19 yards. It doesn't hop and stop. The SD ball has less spin so it rolls more. You can only know this by practicing the shot with the equipment you use.

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 3:02 PM

Its all ok. Jim.

I know the different options with balls and clubs. I agree that i do the performance with the CG16 # 64  and Callaway Balls. There are so much players here, they dont have a change to do a right Pitch. Allways to short ore very long far from hole. It will be a interessting to working on more information on it. i rember that i was a hack and amateur i have had a lot of nice pitches ...but this is hystorie......  LOL 

Regards  Cad61 

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 5:24 PM

The reason there is no formula for pitch shots is that a huge factor in how the ball will react is where it lands 1st bounce. It is not unrealistic for you to have a shot that shows +5 at the hole but the landing area for the 1st bounce is actually downhill causing the ball to shoot forward more aggressively than you'd thought. Where the green is slightly raised this is very common.

Royal St George's has many holes where this occurs and it is the course I find hardest to judge the correct strength to hit my pitch.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 17 2012 5:18 AM

tiffer67:
    It is not unrealistic for you to have a shot that shows +5 at the hole but the landing area for the 1st bounce is actually downhill causing the ball to shoot forward more aggressively than you'd thought

Exactly. This is why dragging the aimer from the hole to your position is critical. Watch the way the elevation changes for clues on how to play the shot. Aim your pitches like they were putts, paying attention to the line from where the ball lands (or will land) to the hole.

• PAGES
RSS