Help › Forums

Pitch Shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 17 2012 5:18 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:22 PM

The yardages listed for pitch shots are significantly shorter than they they read.  Is there a close calculation that can be used for them?  ie:  Add 10%..15%..20% etc.  Is there also a calculation for out of 20-25%, 30-40%, or 50-60% rough?

Thx in advance for your input.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 2:53 PM

gerryniswonger:
    The yardages listed for pitch shots are significantly shorter than they they read.

I don't quite understand what you mean here, Gerry. Are your pitches stopping before they get to the yardage the spec says it should go? This would be really unusual because pitches roll after landing, usually much longer than what it's rated at (on flat landings.) Even with premium balls and backspin you get some rollout.

I don't chart the actual difference out of the different roughs but will subtract a couple of yards for 30-40 and about 4 or so for 40-50.  Pitches out of rough and sand are hard to stop so you have to play the roll which is what makes your question a little puzzling. 

50-60 rough is a punch for me, not even sure if a pitch works

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 3:25 PM
    The yardages listed for pitch shots are significantly shorter than they they read
    I'm sorry, I tried to be clear. As I said, the spec will say a yardage but the shot rolls well past that point. Is there a rough calculation of yardes to add to the spec (ie: 10-20-30%) for the roll-out.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:25 PM

gerryniswonger:
    the spec will say a yardage but the shot rolls well past that point.

This is what I was looking for as I figured that's what you meant. Don't go by that yardage because the pitch is supposed to roll and is severely affected by the green speed and slope. Your best way of knowing what to expect is only going to come from you using it or practicing with it. It's a great shot to use around greens and from traps so it's worth spending the time to learn it. 

The Chip and Pitch Tips in the FAQs does a good job of explaining it. GL.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:51 PM

It also depends a lot on the slope in your landing and roll-out area of the green, as well as elevation from lie to landing spot. 

I personally don't like to pitch onto a down-slope because the roll-out is so dang unpredictable.

But, to a flat landing area and especially into an up-slope, the pitch is a regular part of my arsenal. In these conditions, out of 30-40 rough with a bit of backspin and good wedges, the rated distance can be close to what you actually get.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 4:53 PM

My way was to perfect one pitch, the 17 yard pitch with a 64º cleveland wedge, this will stop after one bounce if you play it with full backspin.   Callaway balls.

e.g. short of the 18th at STA  you very often can end up just short of green with an elevated shot of about 16 - 18 yards to the pin. This pitch works perfectly there. I take 10% off the power if i want 13 - 14 yards. Reducing the amount of spin will obviously give you more roll, so there is room for a lot of variation depending on the situation.

Cheaper balls like Tour - SD and G12-S don't work so well.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Oct 15 2012 5:30 PM

gerryniswonger:

The yardages listed for pitch shots are significantly shorter than they they read.  Is there a close calculation that can be used for them?  ie:  Add 10%..15%..20% etc.  Is there also a calculation for out of 20-25%, 30-40%, or 50-60% rough?

Thx in advance for your input.

Unfortunately the answer to your question is no, in my experience. There are too many variables due to the different wedges and balls that people play. It really is a case of practice, making mental notes and knowing how the ball will react on any given green.

Stick with it though as once you get it sussed you will see your holed shots increase dramatically. The pitch shot gives you the best opportunity of holing out around the green.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 12:42 PM

The yardage is "measured" on fairway. Greens cause faster and further roll, largely depending on green speed and slope.

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:34 PM

del.

• cadillac1961
    268 Posts
    Tue, Oct 16 2012 1:37 PM

del.

• PAGES
RSS