• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 5:19 AM

PaulTon:

pdb1:

ArgyleScott:

OMG! they have really amped up the vem.

Sure seems like it . 

Neither of your score histories show any improvement in your play, so VEM (if it is used in WGT) would not be an issue with your game. Neither of you are playing well enough to be experiencing VEM.

If shite like yours gets read and believed by newer players it will seriously hinder their progress and improvement in the game.

Game blaming is a self delusional smokescreen.

It's funny how most people, complaining about VEM, are the ones who are not affected by it in a negative way.

The majority of people apparently have no idea, what VEM is and how it works. Let's try to explain.

Every club has a circle of precision and a circle of forgiveness. The ball can land anywhere in the circle of precision, when the shot is dinged. Let's say the circle is 4 yards in diameter for a 4i. That means that a "perfect" shot can land anywhere inside 4 yards of the pin, left, right, long or short. All depends where in that circle the programme is. that's why there can be an 8 yards difference in length (but almost never is) with the same shot.

The circle of forgiveness only comes into play, when the ding is missed. It can only move your shot left or right. The bigger the forgiveness, the less the centre of the circle of precision will shift to either left or right, depending on if you're early or late. The distance will also be less affected by a miss, when your forgiveness level is high.

NOW, to explain what VEM does. When the game detects a significant improvement in your scores, your circle of precision gets bigger. let's say, if it was 4 yards before, it's now 5. So your "perfect" shot can land a yard further from the hole than before. At the same time, your circle of forgiveness shrinks (smaller sweet spot). So a missed ding can result in a larger sideways shift of your circle of precision.

But, when the game detects your game is stagnant, or even becoming worse, the VEM starts working in the opposite direction. The circle of precision gets smaller (balls land closer to the pin on "perfect" shots) and the forgiveness level increases.

I have to say, that given all that, most people, who are complaining about VEM, really shouldn't. Cause VEM is just about the only thing that's keeping their balls inside the bounds of the course ;-)

• ArgyleScott
    1,267 Posts
    Tue, May 9 2017 5:56 AM

SO that's what VEM is. I thought it was programed mis-shots. There is a spot in the program where, no matter what, the ball strike is way later than my click. Twice in a row.

By the same token there is a spot where I am almost  guarantied two dings in a row.

I thought VEM was when the side slip is faster than normal, the wind is totally  fickled, depending what your shot is. Not to mention the  horrendous wind shear that appears over the bunkers.  

Good thing I like jokes. Oh yeah, let's not forget precise putts for par that miss while sloppy putts for bogey, no problem.

• BlueJ53
    4 Posts
    Mon, May 15 2017 2:10 AM

I agree....This game is full of inconsistencies from the numbers not matching to the effect (or non effect) of the wind to the breaks on the greens. As an example to its being far from reality, I've played a lot of real golf and I've never ever played a course where if your approach shot hits 10 - 15 yards in front of the green it then proceeds to run through it to10 - 15 yards off the back. It's so far from reality that it's almost laughable but instead it's actually cursable. The WGT devs responsible for this crap should be ashamed of themselves and get their act together. Maybe they should get off their lazy asses and go out and play the real thing so they can learn how the mechanics of the game really work.

It's got great game potential but certainly not as long as this kind of lame fantasy style algorithm writing continues to plague it to this rediculous extent.  

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Mon, May 15 2017 10:47 AM

BlueJ53:

I agree....This game is full of inconsistencies from the numbers not matching to the effect (or non effect) of the wind to the breaks on the greens. As an example to its being far from reality, I've played a lot of real golf and I've never ever played a course where if your approach shot hits 10 - 15 yards in front of the green it then proceeds to run through it to10 - 15 yards off the back. It's so far from reality that it's almost laughable but instead it's actually cursable. The WGT devs responsible for this crap should be ashamed of themselves and get their act together. Maybe they should get off their lazy asses and go out and play the real thing so they can learn how the mechanics of the game really work.

It's got great game potential but certainly not as long as this kind of lame fantasy style algorithm writing continues to plague it to this rediculous extent.  

I'll make this short. You've been playing for a month and you're using starter gear. It sucks. So does your game (at this point). 

So, hush, practice, spent 6-7k of credits on gear when you reach L59 and you might just realise how little you knew, when you wrote this post.

Or, keep moaning, do nothing and miss out on great fun this game can offer. Actually, one can still have fun with the free stuff, but it takes a hell of a lot more effort and practice and you don't sound like the type that would do that ;-)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, May 15 2017 2:22 PM

BlueJ53:

It's got great game potential 

Oh well, i will carry on then. Here`s me thinking it was the best Golf game out there.

Cant wait, cheers.

• HandyMcNab
    58 Posts
    Mon, May 15 2017 9:44 PM

If the game mimics real golf why are not all the WGT experts  professional golfers earning themselves a fortune? It is just a computer game and the only way it mimics the real game is the unbelievable amount of nonsense talked by the players. In real golf if you were given Tiger Wood's driver it would alter the standard of your golf very little.

• Hackaroon
    31 Posts
    Tue, May 16 2017 9:31 AM

The game is fun, but anyone that plays for money or spends excessive amounts of money here is just throwing money away, I agree. What has happened is that you have probably gotten better than the game, but the game won't allow that, oh no! For example, you may be in the zone on your way to a great score, then out of nowhere your golf ball becomes full of lead when you lined up and hit the ball perfectly! Or the swing meter drastically changes to a million miles/per/hour...LOL. I guess that's how they make the course difficult. Then you forfeit the game because it's obviously getting so ridiculous that you have no choice and in no way am I talking quitting the game just because I missed an ordinary shot. Like I said, It's a great game and a whole lotta fun, but if you want my money, you gotta make your game better because the money's the only thing that's real here...don't make a game of taking it..

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Tue, May 16 2017 10:39 AM

HandyMcNab:
    If the game mimics real golf... In real golf if you were given Tiger Wood's driver it would alter the standard of your golf very little.

I've always said, "If Jack Nicklaus swung the worst set of clubs I ever owned he'd probably still shoot close to par...unlike me". 

Just an FYI...there are WGT members with the best clubs and best balls who still play like hacks.  The "WGT Experts", as you call them, are really good at this game and I venture to believe that only 5%-10% of them have actually swung a RL club on a RL course for 18 holes.

Hackaroon:

The game is fun, but anyone that plays for money or spends excessive amounts of money here is just throwing money away, I agree. What has happened is that you have probably gotten better than the game, but the game won't allow that, oh no! For example, you may be in the zone on your way to a great score, then out of nowhere your golf ball becomes full of lead when you lined up and hit the ball perfectly! Or the swing meter drastically changes to a million miles/per/hour...LOL. I guess that's how they make the course difficult. Then you forfeit the game because it's obviously getting so ridiculous that you have no choice and in no way am I talking quitting the game just because I missed an ordinary shot. Like I said, It's a great game and a whole lotta fun, but if you want my money, you gotta make your game better because the money's the only thing that's real here...don't make a game of taking it..

And in RL golf I've experienced the same inconsistencies in my own game.  So to me, the game plays pretty true to life.  I love those mis-dings that actually pan out making me look like I planned it that way.

RSS