Help › Forums

Out of Bounds/Lost balls

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 20 2011 10:28 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Randellpoet1
    37 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 3:35 PM

I am wondering why when I hit a ball out of bounds I lose the ball? I can understand if the ball goes into the water or lost in some bushes or anything like that. But I hit the ball out of bounds on St. Andrews 17th hole and I could still see the ball. Realistically if I did that I would walk across the path and pick up my ball (actually I would play it). So if this game is trying to be realistic then how is a ball I can see laying on the cart path "lost". I already get penalized the shot. Why must I also be penalized a ball? It doesn't make any sense at all.

I think it is bad enough that there is an "out of bounds" in the first place. When I play golf for real I shoot from where ever the ball lands and there is no real out of bounds. When I watch the PGA  I have see players hit from all kinds of places that on these courses are considered "out of bounds." If you really want to be realistic than you should give players drops when the ball lands where it is "unplayable."  And in real life I only lose balls when they are hit in the water or deep in some thorn bushes I don't want to reach into to retrieve the ball.

GET REAL! No more losing balls for out of bounds shots is real and what is right! I am no longer spending my money on balls until this is changed.

• ballwasher1
    1 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 3:55 PM

i think he is right so do not take our balls if they go out of bounds WGT. in the water you can have em thank you

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 4:29 PM

Imagine it from their perspective. 

They want to create the course while taking up as little space as possible on their systems... Often this means that they must mark certain areas of the course, which typically wouldn't be identified as "Out of Bounds" or a "Hazard," like an adjacent fairway or fescue, as Out of Bounds. 

It was their choice to make that Out of Bounds and you'll have to learn to play that way... Simply put: Don't hit it over there. 

• Randellpoet1
    37 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 5:44 PM

All they have to do is make it so a "out of bounds" shot doesn't cost a ball and a "hazard/water" shot does. It's not that big of a deal as far as programing goes. If they need "out of bounds" for programing sake that's fine but I think it's wrong to penalize me a ball ($$$) because I hit 2 yards off the course. Besides half of the time I hit out of bounds it's because their meter sticks. Hey when I become a perfect golfer like you than I won't hit it over there but until then I'd rather not get fined money for hitting out of bounds because essentially that is what they are doing. Because when it comes right down to it money is where their perspective truly is at.

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 6:12 PM

Randellpoet1:

Hey when I become a perfect golfer like you...

That's the spirit! 

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 7:50 PM

Randellpoet1:
    I am wondering why when I hit a ball out of bounds I lose the ball? I can understand if the ball goes into the water or lost in some bushes or anything like that. But I hit the ball out of bounds on St. Andrews 17th hole and I could still see the ball. Realistically if I did that I would walk across the path and pick up my ball (actually I would play it).

Way off base here man.  The game is quite realistic for most golfers who play by the rules.  You mean you actually hit the ball IRL from where it lies out of bounds?  Do you also improve your lie every chance you get?  Do you take mulligans on every hole you need one?  Why not just put a 72 on your card and save the hassle of playing the game?

Out of bounds= lost ball. 

3-4. Refusal to Comply with a Rule

If a competitor refuses to comply with a Rule he is disqualified.

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

b. Ball Out of Bounds

If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

Yes it's frustrating but in golfing terms that's called "rub of the green".  IRL if you retrieve a ball that you have hit out of bounds (say in someone's yard) you can actually be prosecuted for trespassing in many places.  I witnessed this first hand last year when a friend of mine went into someone's yard to get his ball.  The homeowner asked him to not walk in his yard.  My friend obliged with a friendly FU, went into the guy's yard and got his ball.  The men in blue were waiting at the clubhouse when we made the turn and my buddy got cuffed and a court date.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 8:20 PM

jakestanfill7:
    The game is quite realistic for most golfers who play by the rules. 

Good point Jake.

Randellpoet1:
    Because when it comes right down to it money is where their perspective truly is at.

Bingo!

Keep in mind Randell, the game is still free to play. WGT is aware of the out of bounds bug because of the other two to three threads on this issue. Using-up vital server space with frivolous threads is the reason your swing meter is so jumpy.  : )

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 8:33 PM

Jake... that is an incredible story about your buddy getting busted.  Did the homeowner have to come over and identify him?  Or did he snap a photo of the guy in his yard?

A few years ago I was playing Bandon Dunes and hit a second shot on a par 5 just off the fairway.  I was using a brand new Titleist Pro-V1 and it was barely 10 feet into an "environmentally sensitive" area.  It was in plain sight but my caddy wouldn't allow me to go grab it.  If he did he could lose his job.  Kinda like WGT where you know you could find the ball but you have to suffer the financial loss instead.

• Randellpoet1
    37 Posts
    Mon, May 17 2010 9:15 PM

Not at all! I play by USGA rules below (the same ones you're quoting). But if my ball is not on private property such as on the cart path (considered "in bounds" on most courses) or another part of the course I am going to pick it up and not waist money. Wouldn't you or would you just leave the ball sitting on the cart path. And out of bounds does not "=" lost ball. They are even listed in different sub-sections of the rules. I not only play real golf I watch it every weekend and I see players taking drops a lot. Mickelson landed in a drain (unplayable) at the Masters and took a drop and I don't hear anyone calling him a cheater. I've even seen players on the PGA hit from the across a cart path (considered "out of bounds" here) and the announcers never comment that they should just write a 72 and head home. So don't comment on my character if you don't know me. All I want is for this game to not penalize me the cost of a ball just because I hit it a few yards out of bounds. I also don't care what your friend did. I am not him and would never go in someones yard to snag a ball. That's a lost ball to me. But not all "out of bounds" areas are off the course (especially here in this game). I don't think it's right that every "out of bounds" shot should cost me a ball. Someone else in this thread mentioned that the game is free but that is not entirely true. It is free if you want to play with virtual "crappy  gear" and hit bogeys on every hole. But I spent money on clubs and balls which so I can play at a competitive level. That's not the definition of free to me. And when I spend money on something (no matter how cheap it is) I don't want it to just disappear because I hit it 2 yards "out of bounds." That's why I would walk over and bend down and pick the damn thing up on a real course. Only a rich fool wouldn't.

Copied from the USGA website ... Normal.dotm 0 0 1 200 1143 University of Colorado at Denver 9 2 1403 12.0 0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false

27-1. Stroke and Distance; Ball Out of Bounds; Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

b. Ball Out of Bounds

If a ball is out of bounds, the player must play a ball, under penalty of one stroke, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5).

Rule 28. Ball Unplayable

Definitions

All defined terms are in italics and are listed alphabetically in the Definitions section.

The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.

If the player deems his ball to be unplayable, he must, under penalty of one stroke:

a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or

b. Drop a ball behind the point where the ball lay, keeping that point directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind that point the ball may be dropped; or

c. Drop a ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball lay, but not nearer the hole.

If the unplayable ball is in a bunker, the player may proceed under Clause a, b or c. If he elects to proceed under Clause b or c, a ball must be dropped in the bunker.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Tue, May 18 2010 12:42 AM

There is a flaw in citing the Rules of Golf. As this is a virtual game... so you need to cite the Virtual Rules of Golf.... which say....

" ...when was the last time you saw a games  programmer play golf!..."

• PAGES
RSS