Forums

Help › Forums

punch shots

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 19 2012 10:04 PM (22 replies)
  • CTZNY
    7 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 12:45 PM

I've seen come comments here and there about using punch shots from people who seem to use them for more than just hitting low to stay below a tree branch, at least for wedges.  Is there any rule of thumb for what % of your club's FULL swing would yield for what a punch shot would get you from the fairway ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Aug 10 2012 1:10 PM

CTZNY:
    Is there any rule of thumb for what % of your club's FULL swing would yield for what a punch shot would get you from the fairway ?

If I understand what you're asking here, how much to choke a full swing to get the punch yardage, there's something you should keep in mind. If you have to choke a club that much you might be using the wrong club. Drop down a club and take a fuller swing.

Those punch shots are good gap fillers, fly lower so the wind doesn't affect them as much and are fairly easy to master. They handle rough much better than full swings and are quite useful out of traps.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:04 AM

CTZNY:
    Is there any rule of thumb

I swear by the punch as an extra 3 wedges.

I punch from the sand, i punch from the greens rough and i love to punch approaches around 40 - 50Y

Select your Lob Wedge, then select PUNCH, you will see the distance it gives you, try to keep your length CLOSE to what the caddy says the punch will do for that wedge and Full Back Spin (depending on your wedges and balls) and you will also learn to love it for short approach shots.

Other than that, Punch are great for fairways out of the rough to save your hide.
    Select your 'safe distance' out of the deep rough onto the fairway. Select punch and chose the club to give you that distance. Full Bottom spin.

Hybrid clubs punch well.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 12:43 AM

...and don't forget that you can use punch with your driver from the tee.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 1:30 AM

Not this one I assume? (automatic club change I assume)

Regarding the %-question above:

The punch percentage of my clubs is quite variable, from 81.8 % (SW) to 94.7 % (Hybrid).

Each punch shot has a nominal yardage indicated, no need to guess.

My SW for instance is 77 yds, the punch is 63 yds. Nice step to my LW @50 yds.

While the stepping is good between the 54°, 60° and 64° wedges (and I selected them to fit well below the PW), the stepping inside my G20 set is unfortunate:

Differences between a punch and the full next club range from 0 to 3 % only :(

Add the fact that punches fly lower and tend to roll more - not much use in this direction. Of course, they are good savers from rough above 25%.

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Sun, Aug 12 2012 7:11 AM

OP,

I used to think the same thing about punches.....they are only for severe trouble and/or getting under things.  That's all I've ever really used them for in real golf.  

However, a punch is a vital weapon to scoring here at WGT.  Like others have said with de-emphasizing wind, getting you out of traps/heavy rough, and doubling the effectiveness of your wedges, punches are really only another type of shot that happens to carry the label...punch.

But, you have to play with them to learn them....and what courses they are more effective on.  I would suggest playing a round with the commitment to punching all approach shots.  Do this for about two rounds and you'll pick up on new areas to use the shot....and where not to.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Aug 14 2012 11:11 AM

I use the punch shot every round...I carry three wedges (in addition to the PW)....the punch shot for each of these wedges gives one three additional wedges and nicely fills the gaps between these wedges if properly spaced...HB3

• cpatterson22
    257 Posts
    Fri, Aug 17 2012 5:28 PM

idk if it's different for other clubs, but i have starters, and even with an 18 mph headwind it actually usually goes further just to do full swing from the tee rather than punch, which i find pretty stupid.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2012 12:51 AM

cpatterson22:

idk if it's different for other clubs, but i have starters, and even with an 18 mph headwind it actually usually goes further just to do full swing from the tee rather than punch, which i find pretty stupid.

This may be independent of the type of clubs - full shots go further than punches. Alas, a punch may be 5 % shorter while a full shot would lose 10 % (as an example), and the effect of side winds should be less with a punch.

The main advantages are

- saves from higher percentage roughs,

- double no. of full wedge distances, with the reservation of different carry and roll.

• dflop
    1,877 Posts
    Sat, Aug 18 2012 3:07 AM

piztaker:
    and don't forget that you can use punch with your driver from the tee.

Gee piz i have never used my punch on my driver off the tee , on what circumstances would  this come in handy  ?

Would love to know the best situation to try this !

dflop  !

RSS