Forums

Help › Forums

No Virtual Open Championship in 2012

Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:53 AM (139 replies)
  • SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 3:58 PM

Heh-WGT quietly dropped this pearl in another thread today. That should be interesting.

Statements like that should have a big head line not just put into an old thread.

• amb1923
    223 Posts
    Wed, Jun 20 2012 9:21 PM

Very much appreciate the final word on the Open & RLSA, since many have been asking about it for a while.  Also appreciate the increase WGT presence on the forums.  Still, I agree with YJ and others that going down to one HD course/year is a big disappointment.  ANY chance there's an alternative course (not TruGolf) in the works?

• labordayk
    389 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 12:12 PM

MisterWGT:

Greetings my fellow WGT players...

WGT regrets to announce that it will not be running the Virtual Open Championship this year, as we were not able to photograph and produce the Royal Lytham & St Annes course, as we’ve done in the past two years with the Royal St George's and St Andrews courses.

We're disappointed for all the WGT players out there, so in place of the 2012 Virtual Open Championship, WGT will be running a few special tournaments this summer that will coincide with real-world golf tournaments. As a special thank you to all our players, WGT will be giving away a variety of prizes in these tournaments to players of all different skill levels.

The WGT Summer Tournament Series will include...

WGT Congressional Championship - Special tournament the week of 6/25 on Congressional

WGT St Andrews Championship - Special tournament the week of 7/16 on St Andrews

WGT Kiawah Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/6 on Kiawah--featuring brand new WGT hole locations on Kiawah

WGT Bethpage Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/20 on Bethpage

Stay tuned for more details on all these tournaments and prizes.

Thanks for the update, Mr. WGT.  It's never easy to be the bearer of bad news, but I think we all appreciate knowing what's going on be it good or ill.

I would imagine that we would all also like to know if there are any more courses in the works, and if any will arrive before the end of the year?

As a proponent of multi-round, particularly 72 hole tourneys, I think these course championships are a great idea.  I've been doing them manually for my CC, Players' Way, since last summer.

However, while making everyone play a round a day, 4 days in a row, sounds good in theory, I think it can make it difficult for many players to participate.  For example, the recent 4 day muliti-round on Olympic, I was travelling, and didn't get a chance to play on Thursday, so missed the whole tourney.

When I set up a multi-round, or any CC tourney, for that matter, since I have players all over the world, with different work schedules and such, and everyone's free time is going to be different, I always give everyone a week to play.  If it's a 72 hole tournament, I'll have 2 rounds running at the same time the 1st week, and the last 2 the next week.

While I think it's fine to have everyone play all 4 rounds in one week, I think many of us need the whole week to play them.

What you could do is stagger the 4 rounds.  Open each one a week before the normal tournament day it would be played, Thurs - 1st Round, Friday 2nd Round, etc.  But don't show the scores for each round till the last day of that round.  That way those that could, could play each day Thurs - Sunday like a real PGA tournament, but those that couldn't play the 4 days in a row, could still play earlier but without knowledge of the leaderboard.

Thanks.

• TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 2:58 PM

MisterWGT:

WGT Congressional Championship - Special tournament the week of 6/25 on Congressional

WGT St Andrews Championship - Special tournament the week of 7/16 on St Andrews

WGT Kiawah Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/6 on Kiawah--featuring brand new WGT hole locations on Kiawah

WGT Bethpage Championship - Special tournament the week of 8/20 on Bethpage

Stay tuned for more details on all these tournaments and prizes.

Not even close to the same......!!!  but I understand :(

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 3:17 PM

This is the beginning of the end I feel.

One HD course a year.

After a while no HD course a year.

Putting a new title on a tourney on an existing course is not going to compensate.

This should have been announced months ago.

And before anyone else says it, I know there is a lot of work in producing a new couse. That's why up until now, they have only released 2 a year.

But the fact is they did release 2 a year, and now they have decided to keep the $500K for themselves.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 5:59 PM

seanobrien:
    But the fact is they did release 2 a year, and now they have decided to keep the $500K for themselves.

I don't know that this is the case but the mere mention of this type of situation does not bode well. Is it a conservative move to protect the future or is it something else?

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:11 PM

gsoup:

bigdaddie1:
    at least give us a full 18 on one of the CTTH courses

YES

I think that if WGT has full photographs of the CTTH courses we would already have access to stroke play etc on those tracks..

• bearclaw27
    553 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 7:53 PM

MisterWGT:

Greetings my fellow WGT players...

WGT regrets to announce that it will not be running the Virtual Open Championship this year, as we were not able to photograph and produce the Royal Lytham & St Annes course, as we’ve done in the past two years with the Royal St George's and St Andrews courses.

Dear Sir,

Just 1 question..

Can you please tell us why WGT was unable to photograph and produce the Royal Lytham & St Annes course..?

thank you

--bear

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:26 PM

It's very dissapointing that there's not gonna be a British Open (recognised as the main major by the majority of pros)....however, it's not happening so wait and see what plans WGT have in mind. It's quite possible their were contractual difficulties with the R&A or Royal Lytham. Maybe Chad can elaborate on why there's not going to be a British Open.

To be honest....I'm quite looking forward to the 4 tournaments he's mentioned and maybe we should wait and let the story unfold.

There's other plans in the pipeline with regards to new tiers....pin placements etc ...and probably a ton more we don't know about.

There seems to be a new freshness around this place...new mods etc, so the WGT guys have been in discussions with how to make this place run better and possibly what improvements the game requires. As of yet we will just have to wait and see what's in store for us.

It's already been stated that WGT are holding 'm going to wait and hear the outcome of that.

Do I think it's the end of WGT....or do I think they've just chucked the British Open to save $500k?   No I don't.

If it means chucking the British Open to save the $500K so that the new improvements to the game etc and all other stuff can be completed....then I'm all for that.

I honestly don't think WGT would let us down in the long run. They seem to have pretty good business acumen.

Let's wait and see the whole story unfold fellow WGT addicts.

TBE

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Thu, Jun 21 2012 11:30 PM

If any folks are concerned about what is happening.....then they have their chance to ask WGT and Chad questions direct in the IRC Chat session which has been arranged.

tbe

RSS