Help › Forums

Last week of the Virtual U.S. Open Qualifier on WGT

Sun, Apr 9 2023 9:34 PM (125 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2015 12:11 PM

fatdan:
    when they move the tees back

You think they will rotate tees throughout the 4 rounds?

Would be interesting for sure!

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2015 12:25 PM

LOL, meant to say "if" they move them back....course plays a little tougher using the back door link, throw in a hefty wind it could play a lot different...

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sat, May 16 2015 5:14 PM

Yes, this will be an interesting Open for sure ... if they play heavy winds and championship tees, there are no par 5's reachable in two with headwinds, and two or three par 4's (at least) unreachable ... it will be a slaughter. Many mid to high 60's rounds will be recorded ... could you see 4 rounds of 4 to 5 under apiece being a winner?

:-)

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2015 10:03 AM

MBaggese:

fatdan:

I can see 4 rounds completely different settings. Can expect Mud greens too i would imagine. We had them at Olympic on Red Tees i think 2nd round

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, May 30 2015 10:28 AM

PRIESTESS:
    I can see 4 rounds completely different settings. Can expect Mud greens too i would imagine. We had them at Olympic on Red Tees i think 2nd round

I don't recall the short tees at OLY, I do recall low wind and slow greens though?

• dasmonputt
    13 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2015 4:32 AM

good Day my fellow canuck!!!. I agree with you totally regarding waste of credits and no control of your game?!.

Example; Play a lot of games from tournaments to stroke play by myself and last week and a half ago using the same equipment, shot 7-under and 4-unders etc...., Kiawa and St.Andrews and since then???????????????????????????????.

I haven't been able to shoot better then a 2-under and just shot +13 in the transamerica challenge where as the last week and a half has revealed that approach shots that were close then are 7+ yards too far or 30-feet too short or every put is on but finding EVERY way imaginable?, to the point of total confusion????????????????. it amazes me how nothing drops for pars or birdies regardless of what i do!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????, i probably skim the edge or soot right on to 4 feet and still with a 0 left on the shot meter have to tap in. it is unfare to me that WE cannot play a better game or be consistent due to the WGT frequent shot meter glitches etc..... that put you into a bad spot at the worst of times or how par fives seem to have a consistent habit of flubbing one of five shots along the way. Please WGT fix this ***. Sincerely DASMONPUTT.

p.s; how one can shoot 7-under on a coarse or at the least 4-under one week and then for the next week on the same coarse am lucky to shoot even par regardless of efforts????????????.

• tanneralis
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:51 PM

MBaggese:

fatdan:

They should move them back and keep them back.....the qualifying should have been off the back tees as well for TL and L players, everyone else off their respective tier tees.......from the back tees good shots will decide who does well instead of who gets the fortunate wind directions.

Greg.

• tanneralis
    419 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2015 3:57 PM

mjeepp83:

why did you start charging Cabo, and Whistler again? thanks

WGT should remove them....both courses are rubbish.....Cabo is for players to get their averages down to a level that they are nowhere near and whistler is an absolute joke....the dots on the greens may as well not be there at all.

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2015 7:45 PM

I've played in all the US Opens excepting the first one in mid 2009.    Not all of them were the four rounders that we have today but I can never recall WGT moving the tees around on any of them.

They have changed the wind speed and green speed, but to my admittedly not great memory, I can not think of a time when we didn't use the same tees for the Qualifier and every round of the Open thought last year at Pinehurst.

If they move the tees around, it makes your course notes pretty useless which I heavily rely upon for new courses.   Green speed is bad, when it goes between fast and championship, if they vary all that stuff the scores will suffer.

Since the cut moved to 55, we probably lost almost 100 players who would have been in the tournament.  I really wish that WGT would allow anyone within 5 strokes of the lowest score into the tournament and have a cut after round 2 of the Open, maybe only pay the credits to those who make the cut.

• SliceNDiceIsNice
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 9:29 AM

boo

RSS