Reading the break

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 28 2010 11:08 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 2:32 AM

Hi Michlen,

As far as the putting goes - yeh, its the most difficult aspect of the game.

I am no great putter, I'm far from the worst either - so, heres my approach.

1. You need to get your putting speed sorted out first. Whatever speed of green you are playing on, get the weight of the putt sorted out so that whatever length of putt you have, you can get your ball to go say 2 or 3ft  past the hole. Dont worry about getting the ball in the hole right now. Just make sure your putts are ending up 2 to 3ft past the pin. If they drop - great.

2. So - you know you can get your putt up to the hole, so you dont have to worry about the speed. Now you can concentrate on working on the line - and this is going to take some practice.

3. I always putt from the reverse angle - that way you can see the read of the putt so much better, and you can watch the ball coming towards you. You get a much better idea of what the break is doing to the ball. Also, as Lee mentioned in another thread -  try and visualize the putt before you hit the ball, just like IRL.

At the end of the day - its just practice and heaps of it.

Hole that helps.

Cheers

Doug

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 5:15 AM

dorkfeatures:
    3. I always putt from the reverse angle - that way you can see the read of the putt so much better, and you can watch the ball coming towards you. You get a much better idea of what the break is doing to the ball.

Good point, Doug-the speed is key. I putt from the reverse angle too but when I was at mick's stage of frustration I tried practicing a little different with putts. Instead of aiming in the reverse view, aim in the forward view where you think it looks correct and then look at where you put the aimer in the reverse view. This is how I discovered that I wasn't giving the ball enough room to break. The reverse view is good but because it can be skewed a bit by being so close to the hole you need to compare the 2 views to get the hang of it.

ALee's conceptualize tip is a good one and the first time I read that from him also included another fine tip-trust your first instinct. GL

• DWAYNE66
    250 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 9:16 AM

ill tell yall my little trick i also putt from reverse  but  aim in forward i d pretty good .but my other little trick with my distance i make a set of scales for every foot putter i  have (ect)...15ft  30ft  60  90ft  150 ft  putter ....ok my trick is (AND IT WORKS ) IS MAKE A SET OF SCALES .the way you do it is  take a index card  .(works best )...when the  putting meter comes up take the index card put one edge of it on the line where the swing starts .thats the tall thin line ...then mark the end f the put .then cut it to length .and cut the hole thing in a thin strip  for better folding...once you have it cut to length  fold it in half .that will give you half the length putt .if was a 30 ft putter the fold would be 15ft mark .mark the fold with a pin .then take both ends an fold them to the half way fold  you just made .that will give you 7.5 ft mark an the 22.5 mark .mark them with a pin .and just keep folding and dividing the the numbers .i think yall can figure the rest out .i no some will say to much work BUT THE SCALES DO WORK  VERY GOOD .every one that ive told and they made them (correctly) it has dropped there score by 2 shoots .if you have  any ????on the scales  drop me a message on my page or wright on my wall .hope this helps some1 out like it has me .........

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Wed, Apr 28 2010 11:08 AM

A friend of mine made me aware that this game has to be based on some sort of mathematical equation, a grid lets call it. So lets take Dwaynes idea a little further and assume that for this putt we are about to make we've calculated the proper distance and only need to find the direction...   IE: Bottom of the Cup! 

Reading the break:

From the reverse view look at the cup and call the distance from where the pin is in the middle of the cup to either edge of the cup 1, which on my monitor = 1/8".  Now at any given time there are 4 or 5 (sometimes more... lol) different speeds of white balls moving regarding your putt line and how it is going to break. Lets pick a speed that is in the middle of those ever changing speeds and give that a number value of 1. Of course when reading your putt you must take into account all of the balls you see but lets try and keep it as simple as we can and come up with a number of balls right or left of the cup depending on what your looking at.

After you've counted the breaking balls and made a decision as to WHAT you see, now you can adjust for that particicular putt right or left. From there you can use some type of ruler or index card placed against your monitor to make your measurment from the pin / center of the hole  (mine has lines on it every 1/8"). The triangular putting arrow can also be used. The distance from the bottom point of the triangle to either point left or right = 1 as well. Before making the stroke you can go back to the forward view if you"d like to adjust how it looks before you putt depending on your preference or putting style. 

Best of luck!

• PAGES
RSS