Forums

Help › Forums

New clubs....why ?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 23 2009 7:50 PM (30 replies)
  • Lysti
    323 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 5:47 AM

Well if we're going to go there I'll need some guys to serve me margaritas and to come help me putt.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 2:20 PM

I was thinking about buying a driver...but it sounds like a waste cr's now. Is the accuracy really that bad? I noticed they only add 10 yards which seem a little ridiculous, does the bad out-weigh the good here?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 2:27 PM

The accuracy is only bad if you can't hit the mark on the swing meter.  That's not a problem for me so I regularly hit drives 240+ now. 

It makes a big difference on #2 and #9.  It'll leave you 1-2 clubs shorter  on your approaches.  That usually helps.

For me, it's worth it.

• drifter65
    5 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 3:28 PM

oh i disagree there, ive hit quite a few times perfect on the meter and balls vary quite a bit aimed at the same spot

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 5:09 PM

Maybe I'll just get better at the approach and putting, 10 -15 yards just doesn't seem worth it to me. I hope they add new clubs soon, a longer fairway wood would be nice.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 1:27 AM

That's not the club drifter.  That's the game.  The starter clubs do the same thing to an even greater degree.  The higher precision in the premium drivers somewhat regulates the 'drift' the game creates in what would be otherwise be straight shots.  The result is higher accuracy on perfect hits.  Trust me.

• jbowles824
    67 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 11:40 AM

Even if I am listed as a "hack" I decided to invest in the TaylorMade Burner driver. I only have one 3 wood in the bag, so could carry two drivers. There are some holes that I use the old driver on (the ones with hazards running thru the fairway from left to right).

I love the new club. The one par 5 on the Kiawah Island course I flew the sand trap on the right side and hit a 245 yard drive. That left me a three wood into the green. I have never been able to get on in 2 shots before. I always came up short and had a 55-65 yard shot into the green, this time I was going out of my mind with joy.

Yes the bar does move faster on the new driver. But like anything else, practice will make the difference. The only trouble it has caused me is that I am having to hit into the green using different yardages than before, less yardage. But with practice that will be OK also.

I believe the money spent is worth it. But what do I know, I am still a "hack" and am happy to stay that way. I don't want to hit from the longer tees anyway.

SIDENOTE: I played my first group game yesterday, and my co-player was DaveBond007. I felt sorry that he had moved up to ama. and was playing off the back tees for the first time. I had an advantage hitting from the tees I was on. We went into the final hole tied and he beat me on the last hole. It was a great time and he was a great guy to play with. If I had had this driver yesterday, it could have made a difference in the outcome of the game, who knows?

From what I have seen today, I wish I had purchased it sooner. Thanks WGT for the new equipment. I look forward to more in the future.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 4:38 PM

This isn't about driving so much. My approach shots are spraying all over the place, I hit perfect or slight fade/draw with or against wind and it does whatever it wants to, I might as well aim 50 yards left and hit a draw, maybe it would go right? What's up with this??

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 5:46 PM

Hi,

I note with interest your comments. Yeh for me and I think for most people, I dont think its the driving thats the major issue. Not sure why your approaches are spraying all over the place.

Looking at your stats you only have 6 ranked rounds - not a lot of experience there. Theres only one thing for it I'm afraid - PRACTICE !! Everyone has the same clubs in their bags. Its about familiarising yourself with each and every hole. Takes notes on yardage, clubs used, best fairway position, wind etc. Oh - yeh - you cant to my knowledge draw or fade shots - so take those out of your game. If you hit the ball right or left of centre on the swing meter, it will keep going (the wind will have some effect mind you in ranked rounds). I would get on the practice rounds and just hit the shots as straight as you can - no wind in practice, and just get use to the holes. Just practice hitting the sweet spot on that swing meter thats the key, and the difficult thing to do. Then when you feel you are starting to master it,  try a ranked round.The wind doesnt make as much difference as you might think. Not in my experience anyway. I have moved through to amateur level reasonably quickly and have had about 80 ranked rounds and lots and lots of practice rounds. I am a long long way from the best believe me, but I can play to my ranking regularly. The top players in this game have over 500 ranked rounds - OK :-)

Oh yeh - and the putting - lots of practice needed there to. Thats where you post your good scores. Just like in the real thing.

Frustrating for sure. So - patience and practice, and believe me you'll get there.

Cheers

Doug

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2009 10:23 AM

Thanks for the advice doug. I forgot to ask. Does the lie effect the shot like in real life? Below your feet it goes right, above it goes left..Does that come into play? Maybe I'm just spoiled on Tiger Woods Tour 07 on my Xbox, I've wasted much of my life on that game! I guess this game really doesn't allow fade/draw I noticed, it just comes out dead left or right. My only problem with this game is the swing, I wish it were more free motion like in TW Tour so you could shape shots...I mean who waits for 2 seconds at the top of their swing, aside from Charles Barkley =) Other wise, very cool game..I like it.

RSS