Forums

Help › Forums

Playing the lie

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 8 2009 10:10 PM (2 replies)
  • mitchr
    2 Posts
    Thu, Mar 5 2009 5:27 PM

If the ball is in the first or second cut of rough, the dot is very high on the ball.  To play out of rough, do I move the dot down toward the middle of the ball?  I've tried it and got drastically shorter distance.  Any hints on how to play out of the rough?

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2009 4:47 PM

The general rule is if you are in the first cut rough club up to get about the same distance.  So if you would normally hit a 7 iron on the fairway, adjust and hit a 6 iron from the 1st cut rough.  The percent buried will also affect the distance.  If your ball is 40% buried, it will really have a hard time going anywhere.  So if you ball is in 2nd cut rough or 40% buried, you may want to consider using a Wedge to hit the ball out of trouble.

• TrickMilton
    27 Posts
    Sun, Mar 8 2009 10:10 PM

Whether it is true to the game or not, this methodology has helped me hit from the rough. Here's my theory and method:

Let's say you are facing a 100 yard shot 30-40% buried.

First assume the middle ground of 35%.

Then subtract 10% from 35 since on any perfect lie your given 2-10% buried.

This leaves you with a figure of 25%. Now take your 100 yard shot and add 25%.

This gives you roughly a 125 yard shot. You may play it + or - a few yards depending on the pin position and bunker locations.

If I were given a 145 yard shot 40-50% buried. I would take 45%-10% = 35%. 

35% of 145 is roughly 51. Therefore I would play a shot around 196 yards +-.

Hopefully this will get you started. If your not able to do math on the fly, I suggest you get a scratch piece of paper or go with the club up approach. Hope this helps and happy hunting. 

RSS