Help › Forums

Padding your scoring average

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 3 2009 4:35 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JaimePBPro
    4 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 9:16 AM

It's obvious people pad their scoring averages by quitting ranked games that will hurt their average.  I do it too.  My scoring average is 66.1, so if I'm going to shoot over 33 I'll quit the game.  I'm ok with people doing this because it doesn't really affect anything except for the Top Ranked Players List.  My only thought is maybe we could make the Top Ranked Players List reflected upon tournament play.  That's what really matters anyway is how you play in competition.

I'm not saying the people on the top of that list don't deserve to be there.  They can shoot 30's and 29's and thats great.  But if everyone kept every score there would be more varation in their scores.  Like real golf if your scoring average is 33, you probably shoot anywhere from 30 to 36.  Not 33 every time. 

My suggestion is to do something like a FedEx point standing type of thing where you get points based upon tournaments, and have a end of the year championship with the top 100 or so point getters.

It could stop people from padding their averages because it really wouldn't matter.  Look forward to all WGT improvements.  Love this game!!

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 9:45 AM

I believe people put way too much stock into the scoring average.

It may look nice having a low scoring average, but you get nothing out of it.   Playing the tournaments for prizes and credits is where it's at, IMO.

Though I do like the idea of a FedEx cup type of scoring system with the top scorers being invited to a nice prized based tournament at the end of the year.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 9:47 AM

This is issue keeps coming up in discussion I see. You make some good points Jamie, but I think you should keep track of who is winning the tournaments every month. The current top ten is very representative of who are the better players. About half of them are the ones who are consistantly winning month in and month out. The other half either don't play or are not eligible by country. If there was a total points system, I really think it just be top ten redux.

• JaimePBPro
    4 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 9:54 AM

Like I said, I know that the players on that list are the the top players more or less.  I do notice that they are winning most of the events.  I just think the list should be based upon tournament play.  Now, the list may not change one bit, I don't know.  But it would put them on display for what they've done this year in tournamnets in the same way the PGA tour does.  It may matter more if they extended this list to like the top 100 point getters for an end of the year event.  It could be dramatic for the guy who's like 98 or 99 on the list trying to make that WGT tour championship event.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 10:17 AM

We're still dealing with the limited nature of the game as compared to what it's scheduled to be like.  Most of the issues you are talking about are symptomatic of this.  For instance, we only have 2 tiers out of 5, we are only playing 9 holes, all have been using the exact same clubs.  While there are some obvious score-padders out there (the ones who post 5 scores or less a month, which are all magically great), the majority of the people near the top play the same way, and that is to regularly post good scores, discarding some that aren't as good, but mostly posting enough scores on a regular basis to genuinely reflect their place in the pecking order.  The tournament standings for the last 5 months reflect the consistency of the top players.  

I'm sure that in the future when we have 5 tiers of play, 4 round tournaments over 18 holes, multiple courses,  and Fed-Ex like ranking systems, you'll see just what I mean by the consistent nature of the players I've described above.  Anyone can shoot a low score on occasion for 9 holes, but doing it consistently over time through many conditions and tournaments is what separates the best from the rest.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 1:34 PM

I had started a spreadsheet a few weeks ago that was going to keep track of folks weekly tournament stroke play results along with wins, top 10's, average finish, "season" earnings (where the "season" consisted of the weekly stroke play events), tournament averages and a few other categories that I could pull from only the results.  It quickly became way to much for my limited spreadsheet knowledge unfortunately. 

Here's what it looked like:

It could've been everything you're asking for basically, but I'm noob at spreadsheets and couldn't get past this. :(

If anyone wants to show me how I can do this without creating 2 hours worth of work updating it for each tournament, I'll be glad to try it again.

Here's a link if you want to download what I had.  I quit in the midst of week 6 once I realized how much of a pain it was to update.  I still had not figured out a way to actually rank everyone in a leaderboard format either.  It was basically just a stat page.

http://ecs.exofire.net/WGT/2009Stats.ods

This spreadsheet was created using OpenOffice.  It should open with Microsoft Office too.

• BiRdyKiNg
    30 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 2:26 PM

I am sure everyone who played this game has quit/forfeit many rounds in this game.....each for their own reasons.....when i do..and its not often...is when i do all i can do and get screwed by a bit of randomness to the game or a serious lag spike that costs me dearly.....if i am f'ing it up i don't quit.  I posted a 43 last week...was my doing....

As far as my scoring average...realistically, its right on.....i usually birdy 2-3 holes a round with 1-2 screw ups..how the screw ups are handled dictates what my score ends up.

Bottom line is who cares what your scoring average is.....padding it gets you what may I ask?  Its like kicking the ball out from behind a tree or adjusting your lie every shot on your home course......looks great on paper but how are the tournaments going??  From what i see here, the ppl with the best averages also win the tourney's.  Enough said.  That is one reason I wouldn't put up cash for a tourney--i know i don't have a chance to win.  I could finish top 10-20 with close to my best, but who plays to finish top 20?

Anyway thats my 2 pennies worth,

Birdyking

• Noodon
    56 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 9:51 PM

I think in general the message is the people with the best scores are the ones that play the game all the time. There is nothing wrong with this but unless you play all the time your not going to get the "lucky breaks" meaning the shots that actually do what you want them to do at this point in the game development. I play a fair amount and would say I don't play many full rounds mainly because is too time consuming dealing with all the odds and wierd things the game continues to do.

Don't worry about the guys with the top scores unless you are going to play the game all the time....and I mean all the time....have fun and when the game does the ranking properly....counts all the rounds started vs. scoring for a true average....then you will see a huge difference in the actual rankings.

You can get good at the game now...but you have to play a lot to learn the frequency of luck in this game to be a top ranking player...so don't worry about the pad or anyones justification for it...just play...it's still not the finished version or the real game yet....but it will be soon.....have a nice day

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Mar 1 2009 10:07 PM

The game up to this point has been formulaic, and for those of us who have played alot and learned the systems at work, we've scored scored well consistently in both single player and tournament modes.

Luck is running in the occasional 40+ft putt.

Skill is playing so that you don't have many 40+ft putts in the first place.

Frequency of luck has little to do with how the top players score well.  Knowing the systems and lots of practice are how that is accomplished.  If you don't agree, you don't know how the systems have worked.

I anticipate that many of the previous variables will be altered with the upcoming changes here this week.  We'll all be at square one again for the most part, so this is everyones chance who hasn't figured out the last systems to start anew and try and figure out the new ones.

Good luck/skill to all!

• Noodon
    56 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2009 10:12 AM

Nice justification of spending a ton of time on the game just as I stated....thank you

• PAGES
RSS