Forums

Help › Forums

Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:46 PM (8 replies)
  • Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Wed, May 9 2012 9:56 AM

I've read mention of this by some people but have no idea what they mean?

Can anyone enlighten me?

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Wed, May 9 2012 10:37 AM

Watch your avatar the next time you play. Instead of the avatar drawing the club back in one smooth motion, it draws back in a series of jerks or moves. For 3 years, that's been the method  I've used when putting (  1 move= 6ft, 2 moves = 12 feet.. etc ... depending on green speeds and what not).

Knock a few putts around to get a better idea of what your putter rolls for each "move".

With woods & irons, you can do the same thing, except  in reverse..... set full power, then bring it down a move or 2 and note the distance you carry from different lies & winds.

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Wed, May 9 2012 2:05 PM

Thanks Jeff.  Is this the method that most Legends use?  I ask because the meter bar seems more precise somehow.

Or is it just a personal thing?

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Wed, May 9 2012 3:50 PM

Lmorgan007:

Thanks Jeff.  Is this the method that most Legends use?  I ask because the meter bar seems more precise somehow.

Or is it just a personal thing?

I'd say it's the latter - a personal thing. Many of WGT's top layers use the avatar movement method, based on what I've seen in their forum posts over the years. Others use the meter bar, either by estimating % of full-power visually or with the aid of PutterPal. In my case (screw the 'no-aids' purists!) I use a piece of paper taped to my monitor under the meter bar, with the various putter scales drawn on it ruler-style.

Note that the putter meter bar is a bit shorter than that for all the other clubs, and is slightly off-set at the 'zero (right) end'.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 9 2012 4:18 PM

Lmorgan007:
     Is this the method that most Legends use?  I ask because the meter bar seems more precise somehow.

I wouldn't say most Legends use it but there are a few devout users about. It's the only way I have ever putted and I learned it from the Putting Tips in the FAQs. If you're interested, that will give you a really good explanation of how it works. I recommend it.

I have always believed that the movement is exact. Whatever value you assign to it by practicing, it is always the same movement. You have to be very exact in using the moves because as little as the the thickness of the ding line makes a difference, especially when using higher scales for short putts.( I find that actually makes them easier to use because now I have a value for before the move and after the move.)

Using higher scales for shorter putts keeps the backswing really short and slow so the ding is easier, too. You can do that with any putting method but what makes it work for me is the exactness of the moves. It makes it very easy to get exact putts. Aiming is another story.  :(

LOL. I guess you'd say it was a personal thing.  ;-)

• Lmorgan007
    408 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 12:38 AM

Thanks guys.  Sounds a bit like switching from an interlocking to over-lapping grip (or vice-versa).  I suspect that switching to a new method would take a while to reap results.

I'll  maybe give it a go but as I have picked up the habit of using the meter and cutting pulling (most) puts by feel rather than changing aim line I guess it'll take me a while to get used to it and/or get results.

Hmmm

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 2:33 AM

Lmorgan007:

Thanks guys.  Sounds a bit like switching from an interlocking to over-lapping grip (or vice-versa).  I suspect that switching to a new method would take a while to reap results.

I'll  maybe give it a go but as I have picked up the habit of using the meter and cutting pulling (most) puts by feel rather than changing aim line I guess it'll take me a while to get used to it and/or get results.

Hmmm

I use the Rossa Putter and I would only ding the putt if it's straight and only move the Aim if it's a strong left or right roll on the green

I also use the Avatar movements to judge the length of the putt.  eg on the 30ft scale there is 5 movements... each movement is a 6ft putt. On the 60ft scale there is also 5 movements... each movement is 12ft.

This all depends on speed and roll on the greens and does take time to get use to, but highly recommended.

Good Luck

Roger

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2012 5:38 AM

Lmorgan007:
     I suspect that switching to a new method would take a while to reap results.

Not at all. Putt speeds are the absolute key regardless of how you aim. You need to know how far to hit the putt before you even think about aiming. That's all the avatar move method does-let's you nail exact distances every time, once you dial them in. An hour or so on the BPB greens does that.  :-)

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Wed, Mar 15 2017 1:46 PM

Found this and thought it may help those having trouble putting .

RSS