Forums

Help › Forums

TheReluctant Master

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 26 2010 8:21 PM (7 replies)
  • Rowdee
    17 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 3:36 PM

Well, yesterday a had a banner day on Andrews. Posted a -6 and a nice 129 yd. hole approach. It was pretty cool and a lot of fun...BUT... I made Master in doing so and it was like being a total beginner again. The first thing I had to do was say goodbye to my beloved V2 driver and get one that hit longer. Big difference in hitting from the master tees. For me the game was ....hit my drive and then my lob wedge onto the green and ...well... Now, I can barely make a birdie. My driver demands perfect strikes. My approaches are now from 100+ yards so it´s difficult to use that spin to control the ball like I could with my wedges. Well, it is just a game, but I have really enjoyed learning and advancing till now. How about a driving range?????? At least you could get a little used to the faster meter on the advanced clubs. I am 54 and BELIEVE me, I just don´t have those reflexes anymore. 35 years in construction and my hands barely scratch my ass without missing!!! Anyway, just wanted to piss and moan about my SUCCESS.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 5:23 PM

Congratulations on making master..And now sing the WGT blues!

I have had the same problem, but low and behold you will get your game back. It will take you a month or 2 and some master equipment is in order.

I highly recommend you stick with clubs that have the same meter speed and slow it down with Tour GI-SD balls.

Most of the better players are using the r-9 driver and the G10's for everything else.

Also pay attention to your wedges. Drop your hybrid and pick up an extra wedge. The 64 degree jobs will transform your short game. Pick wedges that give you a nice spread of yardage selections..

Stick with it. You will soon be having fun again I promise.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 5:26 PM

Hey Rowdy, I feel for you.  I loved the Raptures as a Pro.  Had the Pro Irons too.  Everything changes drastically when you make the move up tier.  I also can not handle the high-speed meter of the Master clubs and am forced to play with the meter-slowing balls for now.  You think switching Drivers is bad?  Wait until you try the Master Irons.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to scold you for turning Master before you were "truly ready".  Wait for them, they'll be here posting before you know it.

• ThreeSpot
    476 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 6:24 PM

Hang in there Rowdee, your game will come back.

As you have already discovered, you are going to have to relearn the courses. I too loved my Raptures as Pro. But when I made Master, I decided I was just going to have to adjust to higher meter speed clubs and got the G10 Master 3W, hybrid and irons and the R9 driver.

My strategy was to experiment with different balls and play the weekly Unlimited tournament repeatedly. I played it about 30 times a week for the first 4 weeks after I made Master, posting every score. My average did go back up over 70 early on during this period, but I did learn the courses.

Now, two and a half months later, I am still learning better ways to play certain holes, experimenting with different shots in different situations and working very hard on my short game. All that, and I'm still deluding myself with: I'll Be A Great Player If I Can Just Learn To Putt!

Sometimes I miss the slower meter of the old clubs - any ex-smokers here? - but the GI balls help.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Thu, Mar 25 2010 7:37 PM

Also Rowdee, the advice danohi gave is very good.  Pick up a 64 degree wedge.  It helps immensely.  I'm not very good, but I find myself trying to manage the entire course around my 64 wedge.  

• Rowdee
    17 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 4:08 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I did get the G-10 driver and it certainly makes up some distance. And I have been using the tour SD balls almost since I started playing. The meter is so fast compared to my Rapture driver though. I am already using a 60 degree wedge (my fav) but I don´t seem to use it asa much. I still think a driving range would be a good idea. What do you think?

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 7:31 PM

Driving range ? Excellent idea ... until they get one, try shooting the weekly and monthly skill challenges which give you a variety of precision necessary shots to practice your ball striking .... a tip on handling the faster meters .... use any of the balls with a GI prefix ... they slow the meter somewhat ... another tip is to play a practice round using starter balls and then switch back to the GI balls .... the meter will now seem slow are syrup after using the starter balls ...

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 8:21 PM

Hey Rowdee...everything that has taken you to the Master Tier, will take you further into it. All of your hard effort may only be enhanced with more rewards, with the same things that got you to this level. For good or bad, the Master level seems to define those who wish to be known as a Master of our little game. 

RSS