Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How to you advance tiers?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 23 2010 11:47 PM (6 replies)
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:18 PM

I wonder if someone knows about the 'mechanical' or 'logical' behind this. What is the decisive step that decides what tier you belong from now on. I read the FAQ but found it nowhere. Perhaps WGT wants to keep it secret, after all it's part of the surprise!

I was wondering because I moved from Hacker to Pro within a week without improving my play a single notch! I still play a bogey on every single hole at Bethpage but guess what? I'm a pro now!!

I noticed that it happened the day after I decided to buy a new driver and putter...(Things that make you go hmmm!)

In a nutshell, is it related to your score, your caddy bag or the number of balls you have hit? The first one would make more sense.

Also... is it possible to retrograde?

Thanks all

Rob

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 1:48 PM

no, you cant go backwards in tiers.

its based on your average score, and possibly some accomplishments.  Basically under 66 somewhere is to get to master. 

they keep it secret so people dont sandbag as much.  you will hit pro sooner or later anyway right?  so just keep it going.

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:36 PM

I wish you could go backwards in tiers.  I felt the same way you did, and still do to some extent.  I made Pro at around 75.00 I believe.  Got much worse for a while, kept at it, got a little better, then worse again, now I'm pretty static, and am fine with never making master.  I understand it is worse than the jump from amateur to pro.  If thats the case, I can do without the challenge.

• woodrowwilson
    22 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 7:38 PM

It's definitely score. The sandbagging thing is the only reason I'm aware of. You tend to take a down slide after moving up a tier, so I can understand the reasoning.

Just curious, when did this bump happen? It happened to my friend a week or two ago. Sounds like the same scenario. I think this happened during an update of the game. (which put it down all night - arrrrr) Maybe the cut-off was adjusted? Maybe it's always adjusting for this very purpose?

All I can say, is be happy with pro. I shot -10 as a pro, and hover around par as a master with the best clubs. I only joined a couple months ago, but so far, I'm happy with the way the game is built. I have the usual gripes, including the swing meter, but hey, this is golf!

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 10:13 PM

woodrowwilson:
    Just curious, when did this bump happen? It happened to my friend a week or two ago. Sounds like the same scenario.

In fact yes, it was 2 weeks ago. It may be related to that. I moved 2 spots in tiers real quick (in 3 or 4 games!) and now my scores are worse than ever, AFTER upgrading my putter and driver. I score near par for the front 9 but I seldom score better than bogeys for the back 9 (BP Black).

But you're right, this is golf! And I think it's one of the best simulator. That's why we LOVE it and HATE it so much! ...just like in real golf!

Rob

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 6:13 AM

I hit pro the 2nd day I logged on.  You must have had a few better rounds that bumped your average just enough to move you up.  At least you can buy some pro gear now. 

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Feb 23 2010 11:47 PM

you start out with a 150 average.

Tier is determined by your average score. 

Your Average Score is the weighted average of your ten best out of your last fourteen stroke play scores (Practice rounds are not included). Your most recent scores are weighted more heavily to ensure there is no "sandbagging".

It would take a heroic effort to actually play even a handful of rounds and not get bumped up to amateur from hack.

The specific numbers that delineate the tiers are unknown and often are changed to reflect changes in a majority of players averages. You used to be able to get Master at about 67 or so, WGT lowered that number to prevent a glut of semi-pro's from creeping into that tier, It is now below 65.5

You will hit Pro easily soon enough. From there it takes a bit of determination to get up to Master.

Good Luck!

RSS