Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Monthly dues/green fees

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:05 AM (4 replies)
  • Booze
    4 Posts
    Sun, Feb 8 2009 6:13 PM

Why would such a quality game, perhaps one of the best online experiences out there, not charge monthly dues on green fees?  I know of many WGT fans that would be happy to shell out a few bucks if it would help build the quality and variety of courses.  WGT, this is too good, we do not expect a free ride!

Stanford, CA  D.Booze/ Engineering Dept

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Feb 8 2009 10:43 PM

Indeed a curious comment from someone who's been a member for 18 months and has yet to record a score. :)

With so many other video golf options out there, both free and pay-to-play, I think charging a members fee would be suicide.  Look at the pay tournament participation.  Cumulatively, the Amateur and Hack tiers average about 20-30 entries per tournament.  Most of those players, such as myself, play all of the tournaments. 30 people is hardly a drop in the bucket when compared to the total membership of the WGT.

Sure, I'd be willing to throw down a few dollars in donations here and there but, a monthly fee?  No, you can't do that.  This game isn't up to the level of WoW or any of those other $10/mo games out there and won't be for a while.  In this economy, I'd think the average person (the WGT target audience, not gamers like the WoW fanbase) would have a hard time justifying the monthly expense for a luxury such as this.

Micro-transactions are definitely the future here because it allows people to spend money when they can and still leaves the door open for user donations.  Overall I think that system would outperform a subscription based service.  I think you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who will donate AND pay a monthly fee.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

• mwb5010
    33 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 3:41 AM

I agree, I think you would lose a lot of your players.

• Booze
    4 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 8:46 AM

We are also definitely not asking that the site stop being free.  We want the right to pay for certain WGT members to be able to form their own tourneys/clubs and private tiers.  We support your right to be a leach.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:05 AM

Freak lol, I'll take that as a compliment. :D

Ok, I think I see what you are saying now.  I misinterpreted your original post.  You're basically already doing this amongst yourselves, you just want to be able to pay a small fee to not have to do the whole set-up yourself and to have a prize that only club members could win. I'd assume that prizes would be furnished by your group membership fees that are paid to the WGT?

That seems like it would work.

RSS