Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Help with bpb hole 15

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jan 21 2010 5:38 AM (3 replies)
  • Comarco1
    3 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 11:46 PM

I've got a couple hundred rounds under my belt but bpb hole #15 still kills me!  How the crap do you get on in regulation without ending up at the back of the green........ which, as I'm sure we all know, is next to impossible to up and down from there?

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 2:14 AM

I know what you mean.  To me, the hole is really a par 5 and if I walk away with par I'm happy.  I did make birdie there a few days ago, and it felt like an eagle.  I think the wind was in my face for the second shot and I just got it over the mound (luckily) and ended up 12 or 15 feet left of the pin...I had that crazy left to right putt that you need to hit at, or what seems like, 45 degrees up the side of a mountain, the ball almost makes a 'U' turn then went in the hole at about 90 degrees from where I hit it.  I'm sure all of us that have been here a while have seen that putt but I finally made one.

Joey

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 5:29 AM

With the pin forward if you want to get on in regulation you need to play a bump and run shot from the left side between the bunkers. AvatarLee laid it out a while back, complete with replay. It's a high risk shot that if you don't execute properly will land you in rough or sand (short) or on the top level of the green.

With the pin on the top shelf you can reach it with a long iron after a good drive but controlling the landing and roll is another problem.

Playing for par is a great strategy, especially if you have a decent score working. Lay up to the end of the fairway, hit the green over the pin and the ball will trickle back to the hole for a makeable par putt (this is when the pin is in the forward location.)

This will help you get off the top shelf.........

http://wgt.com/forums/p/5419/32734.aspx#32734

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 5:38 AM

I've accepted that it's highly unlikely that this hole will yield birdies, so I instead go for par at best.

Something I've been trying (with some success) is this: I've stopped trying to hit the green in two. Instead, I try to lay-up short of it in the rough left of the hole. If close enough to the green, a short pitch/chip aimed well left of the flag rolls up past the level of the cup, and back down towards it, leaving a manageable par putt. A couple times, this has even resulted in a bird from off the green.

I've also been experimenting with the flop from there when I'm farther down the hill and need a more elevated shot to get the ball above the level of the cup w/o it running past it. Remember that with the flop it's necessary to aim alot farther left  of the flag because of this shot's natural tendency to fly right.

Good Luck.

edit: should've mentioned that this is for when the hole is in the lower part of the green.

RSS