Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Dinging with your keyboard

Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:23 AM (7 replies)
  • WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 6:38 AM

Some time someone suggested on this forum (I think it was Faterson) that dinging the meter with the keyboard would make a nice feature.

Well, actualy, you don't need to bother the wgt software engineers to implement that - it is possible without that, at least on Linux.

This link describes an example how to map key events to mouse clicks using xmodmap and xkbset. I tried it and it works, however, for the short testing I excercised I couldn't match the precision I usualy achieve with my mouse (I guess it is the difference in the distance my finger needs to travel to make the wires touch). Anyway, maybe someone else will want to try.

• Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:16 PM

I did the same thing with an xbox 360 controller - mouse was better by far!

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:22 PM

If I'm on my laptop sans mouse I remap the mouse buttons to the ALT keys. Works very well. (mouse is better though!)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:20 PM

If you can let me know how to remap this on Windows, I'll appreciate it. (I do have PowerPro installed, which could probably do it?)

However, this probably won't be "the real thing" anyway, because you'll still have to (for example) move your aim around with the mouse, instead of with the ARROW keys, etc.

The great thing about TWO is that you can play the entire game only with your keyboard. And no, there's no lag when controlling the 3-click shot meter with the keyboard, as opposed to the mouse.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 8:41 PM

Try this.

If that doesn't work for you, there are other similar utilities for mapping mouse controls onto the keyboard.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 9:29 PM

Thanks, Tibbets. I actually already use AutoHotkey (for other things), but not being a programmer, have rather struggled for setting it up to do what I'd like it to do. Will take another look at it. PowerPro seems slightly more user-friendly.

If it were somehow possible to map the ARROW keys to the movements of the mouse (up/down/right/left), that would be great. But that's probably not possible, because mouse movements involve no clicks. And, anyway, here in WGT, you first need to locate & click the aim and then drag it, which probably can't be replicated with the keyboard, without additional support from WGT's software.

Another thing that's been bothering me here on WGT (as opposed to TWO), is that there seems to be no way to enter the chat-window, and leave it, without using the mouse. Does anyone know how to do this without the mouse? If mouse is the only way, then AutoHotkey & PowerPro probably won't help here either. In TWO, you simply press the TAB and SHIFT+TAB keys to enter/leave the chat window, but this doesn't work here.

• WojciechMigda
    158 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 2:16 AM

Faterson:
    If it were somehow possible to map the ARROW keys to the movements of the mouse (up/down/right/left), that would be great. But that's probably not possible, because mouse movements involve no clicks.

I can't tell for windows, but anywhere else where X server is in use, both mouse movement and clicks can be easily mapped into keyboard actions - here they are just programatic events received from drivers, be it mouse pointer position or button/key clicks.

However, I know that on Linux mouse control using keyboard is part of the Accessibility support (e.g. this link), so maybe windows has got something similar - you may want to investigate this territory.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:23 AM

WojciechMigda:
    both mouse movement and clicks can be easily mapped into keyboard actions - here they are just programatic events received from drivers, be it mouse pointer position or button/key clicks.

Yeah. It might just get too complicated having to locate, then click, then drag the aim with the keyboard. In TWO, the advantage is that the ARROW keys are automatically connected to your shot aim, so as soon as you hit one of the ARROW keys, your aim moves right/left/forwards/backwards. Here in WGT, you first need to point your mouse at the aim, then click the aim, then drag it. It might get quite cumbersome to replicate each of these actions with the keyboard for every shot.

Hopefully WGT's software developers are reading this thread and will implement mouse-free playing solutions for us with no need of third-party solutions.  

RSS