Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Relevancy of protecting Average

Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:54 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 10:16 PM

Of course, there's always the simple fact that no one on any of the ladder sites has ever bested me in any form of head to head competition in over a year of playing.  In fact, there are very few players on the entire WGT site who have ever done that.  So, to contend that that the Ladder site players are "as good" as myself or some of the other top players here is a contention that has no merit whatsoever and just ends up sounding quite silly.

Also, "top quality" masters play here 18 holes of golf for competitive golf, not novelty 9 hole or 3 hole matches.  If I had the time I would gladly play any and every person on that site in any 18 hole format currently available.  Want to step up to the challenge?  Send a message to my wall and I'll play when I can.  Send along your best, school is in session!

Hurry up, its a limited time offer, as I am unsure as to how much longer I will be around.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 3:14 AM

Tibbets, if you desire contest, you can join Ladder 18 yourself and prove that you're best there. Otherwise this is just empty boasting. We know that AvatarLee is, by many, held to be one of the 2 best players of the game, yet he was defeated by the (then) Ladder no. 1, and that says all. I'm confident that you might get defeated by a handful of Ladder players as well, Tibbets, although you'd certainly be ranked among the top in that company as well.

Also, the idea that only 18-hole matches are relevant, is ludicrous. Of course that the It's a Knockout tourney, where you need to win up to 6 nine-hole rounds in a row, on a single Sunday afternoon/evening, to prove that you're the best – which equals 3 full 18-hole rounds – is a perfectly valid gauge of one's true playing abilities.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 4:09 AM

tibbets:

Of course, there's always the simple fact that no one on any of the ladder sites has ever bested me in any form of head to head competition in over a year of playing.  In fact, there are very few players on the entire WGT site who have ever done that.  So, to contend that that the Ladder site players are "as good" as myself or some of the other top players here is a contention that has no merit whatsoever and just ends up sounding quite silly.

Also, "top quality" masters play here 18 holes of golf for competitive golf, not novelty 9 hole or 3 hole matches.  If I had the time I would gladly play any and every person on that site in any 18 hole format currently available.  Want to step up to the challenge?  Send a message to my wall and I'll play when I can.  Send along your best, school is in session!

Hurry up, its a limited time offer, as I am unsure as to how much longer I will be around.

Please don't turn my thread into a chest thumping contest. Kindly go create your own if you wish to advertise your virtual golf skills.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 7:19 AM

NormH3, you can "kindly" go read the earlier posts in the thread and see that it was not me who brought my name into this thread in regards to boastful chest-thumping.  Last I checked, the thread title isn't about the Ladder site, Ladder league tables, or Knockout competitions either, but they've been referenced 3 times already in this short thread.

Different people play the game for different reasons.  Some are super-competitive and like to go head to head constantly to measure their skills.  Others rarely or never play with other people and play the game as an enjoyable exercise for themselves only.  Other people don't care much about their skills and just play for the social element the game brings.  No way is right or wrong, it's strictly up to the individual.

Once registered, a player has no obligations to play in any particular way.  They don't have to play a certain number of games per month to be ranked, they don't have to play against other people or enter any tournaments...in short, a player is free to play in whatever style suits them.  So, it matters not if someone is out their "protecting their average", as you put it.  If that's the style of play that suits them, then that's fine.  That's one of the great things about this site.  You can choose to play in whatever fashion you like, no penalties, no demotions, just enjoy the game!

I've said this during my entire tenure here and I'll continue to say it:  The more people focus on how other people are playing the game, the less they are focusing in on the reasons why they are here to play the game, thus defeating some of the enjoyment in being here in the first place.  It's a game, and at the end of the day it's supposed to be fun.  If it's not fun for you, then there's no need to look to others for the reasons why that is the case. That responsibility begins, and ends, with you.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Thu, Jan 21 2010 9:29 AM

tibbets:

NormH3, you can "kindly" go read the earlier posts in the thread and see that it was not me who brought my name into this thread in regards to boastful chest-thumping.  Last I checked, the thread title isn't about the Ladder site, Ladder league tables, or Knockout competitions either, but they've been referenced 3 times already in this short thread.

Different people play the game for different reasons.  Some are super-competitive and like to go head to head constantly to measure their skills.  Others rarely or never play with other people and play the game as an enjoyable exercise for themselves only.  Other people don't care much about their skills and just play for the social element the game brings.  No way is right or wrong, it's strictly up to the individual.

Once registered, a player has no obligations to play in any particular way.  They don't have to play a certain number of games per month to be ranked, they don't have to play against other people or enter any tournaments...in short, a player is free to play in whatever style suits them.  So, it matters not if someone is out their "protecting their average", as you put it.  If that's the style of play that suits them, then that's fine.  That's one of the great things about this site.  You can choose to play in whatever fashion you like, no penalties, no demotions, just enjoy the game!

I've said this during my entire tenure here and I'll continue to say it:  The more people focus on how other people are playing the game, the less they are focusing in on the reasons why they are here to play the game, thus defeating some of the enjoyment in being here in the first place.  It's a game, and at the end of the day it's supposed to be fun.  If it's not fun for you, then there's no need to look to others for the reasons why that is the case. That responsibility begins, and ends, with you.

Thank You T.  That was probably the best post I have ever read in my 1 year on the sight.  Nothing else needs to be said.

Sal.

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:54 PM

I agree... very well said. One thing i would like to add is i find it funny those who are protecting a false average. What ultimately happens to them is they are thrusted into a game they have absolutely no chance of competeing in because of that bogus number they have created,  to each his own....

• PAGES
RSS