Help › Forums

Re: getting to amateur status

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 11 2009 6:23 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Morgeo
    52 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 7:39 PM

I have been working to get Amateur status and have just shot an even par round.

My hack rating was 69.54 and it has gone up to 69.61.  Is this right ?

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 7:49 PM

Yes, since par is 72, shooting par would raise your average.

• TTIIMM62
    37 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2009 8:21 PM

short time amateur, average went up and starting to go back down. if you want to advance your game, go amateur at 69.17.  have a good game......

• Morgeo
    52 Posts
    Fri, Apr 10 2009 7:56 PM

Well I am baffled as to what you have to do to get a lower rating let alone get to Amateur status. My last 3 games were -2, -3, -1 and my rating went from 70.07 to 70.15, then to 69.8 and now it is 69.93 ?

Give me a clue ?

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Sat, Apr 11 2009 1:09 AM

Hi,

Heres my two bobs worth. I am not sure though exactly how this works, but a couple of points from my experience.

Firstly you're getting very close. Shooting -1 or -2 though, wont necessarily drop your rating. I am amatuer and found that I have to shoot -3 to have any real effect on ratings. I think the calculation is based on your last 10 rounds, so if you keep shooting minus figures you'll get there. Correct me people if this is wrong !!

Once you get to amateur level then you really have to start all over again. Tees go back to the Pro tees adding 20+ yards or so to the hole length. Then the wind has more effect on the ball flight. Also you start to land the ball in unusual places on the fairway - so you have to practice a fair bit. It is very easy for your rating to start to slip up - oh yeh - and theres no going back either. Once you get their thats it, and thats fair enough to.

So - get on that practice fairway, and good luck.

Cheers

Doug

• Morgeo
    52 Posts
    Sat, Apr 11 2009 6:23 PM

Thankyou dorkfeatures for that. I would have thought that there would be some info telling us all of these details but as yet I have not found it. It does seem odd that you have to find out by trial and error - asking  others etc.

• PAGES
RSS