Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • jeepie411
    3,197 Posts
    Fri, Jan 20 2017 7:23 PM

petervcpt:

Sorry, but for me, too many variables with the flop shot. I can get closer than that with a pitch shot.

Perhaps there is a place for the flop shot - but I haven't found it yet.

Just my opinion - I readily acknowledge I'm not that good :-)

Cheers,

Peter

The method I showed takes most of the variables out of the equation. If you are flopping from around the green elevation or slope has less effect than with chips and pitch shots. I never chip or pitch. For distances over 26 yards I will punch. In addition it is much easier to hit the the flop early  than to try and ding a chip or flop. Bot what ever works for you .

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 12:35 AM

YankeeJim:

TopShelf2010:

petervcpt:
    I readily acknowledge I'm not that good :-)

Don't be so hard on yourself Peter. You have come a long way and are improving every day

LOL. Was about to get in his face about the same thing, Don. Ya gotta think positive, Peter. You're making good progress and I agree with you on that flop. Flops are good for getting up and down with an occasional hole out but pitches go in regularly if you play them right.  

p.s., True story. I hit a wall as a TM back in the driver/wedge days and used to flop everything in sight (I carried 4 Satin wedges, no 3W.) I just couldn't get over the hump to Legend and was getting really aggravated. That's the point that I mentioned above-went and learned the pitch and chip and never looked back.  :-)

Didn't think anyone took notice of my playing :-)

Thanks Jim, your encouragement means a huge amount to me.

Personally I use the pitch and chip exclusively around the green. If it's less than 7 yards I go for the chip but I do have an issue with stopping the damn ball with that shot :-)

Off to a practice game now, I'm determined to get better :-)

Cheers

Peter

• Yasch
    310 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 11:20 AM

petervcpt:
    Personally I use the pitch and chip exclusively around the green. If it's less than 7 yards I go for the chip but I do have an issue with stopping the damn ball with that shot :-)

Perhaps, after watching this video from Jo, you might realize why the chip shot is not the most reliable option for such short shots.

This post, also from Jo, is an invaluable source of information, especially for those who carry the CG 64 W.

With this punch chart, my short game has improved dramatically.

David

• HittyHard
    775 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 12:06 PM

Yasch:
    Perhaps, after watching this video from Jo, you might realize why the chip shot is not the most reliable option for such short shots.

Great post and video. Pitch all the way.....

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 1:31 PM

The flop is required when the flag is a long way above you or when the landing area is a severe down slope.

Reasons being the pitch comes out a little low on the uphill shots. It hits to early and comes up short, the same shot hit a little harder can land up to far and skid past a ways. The lower trajectory lessens the spin.

The flop has a much higher trajectory and will stop much quicker on a down slope. Can be handy on holes like the 2 par 5's at Chambers. If your 2nd goes a tad long you are faced with a shortish shot straight onto a severe down slope. On 13 greens the flop will stop it pretty dead with balls that have a spin rate of 2.5 or higher.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 1:34 PM

petervcpt:
    If it's less than 7 yards I go for the chip but I do have an issue with stopping the damn ball with that shot :-)

Full back spin to start and don't expect it to stop, this just slows down the roll. You treat it like a putt for the 2nd half of the travel and use the spin to control the length of the roll.

A couple of places it's useful-CBay #4 from the fringe past the pin. Chip it to the right and it rolls to the hole, usually about a 50% swing. The spin controls the rollout.

CCC#11, back pin when you roll long into the fringe. Same kid of chip.  :-)

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2017 8:05 PM

If you religiously follow for x yds, hit y% approach, pretty likely you'll hate chipping. If you like to use the ground u will like it. As such the top wedges with good balls have so much spin u can fly and stop everything , so negates using different trajectory shots.

Lutjanid:
    he flop has a much higher trajectory and will stop much quicker on a down slope. Can be handy on holes like the 2 par 5's at Chambers. If your 2nd goes a tad long you are faced with a shortish shot straight onto a severe down slope. On 13 greens the flop will stop it pretty dead with balls that have a spin rate of 2.5 or higher.

If you mean #4, then pitch gets u stone dead there as well from the back hump.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 22 2017 9:59 AM

Vaibhav5viv:
    If you mean #4, then pitch gets u stone dead there as well from the back hump.

3 different ways to play that shot-chip, pitch, flop. This is what makes for a good golfer, having those kind of options and knowing how to use them all and when to use them.  :-)

• BigCloud
    12 Posts
    Sat, May 13 2017 10:50 AM

As I am doing absolutely horribly, I really appreciate ANY tips.  I would buy better clubs but they all seem the same.  Thanks again for any help.

• WaltMiller77
    2 Posts
    Tue, May 30 2017 10:24 AM

This is VERY, OVERWHELMINGLY, ABSOLUTELY useful for newer players like me who have been struggling with their short game! I feel I have gotten much better at putting and fairway hit pct, or precision, but the short game....arg!!!...its atrocious and can easily be disastrous! thank you for this!

RSS