Help › Forums

Re: How to properly use chip and pitch clubs: A guide V2.0

Thu, Aug 3 2023 5:05 PM (335 replies)
  • siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sun, Aug 24 2014 5:55 PM

Jimbog1964:

MDWa:
    and he club said 19 and I only hit it at 75%.hope you understand. Can you help??

Dump the hybrid.  Then 3 good quality evenly spaced wedges.  Choose one ball, and learn FBS pitching around the rated yardages. Punching do same but rmbr punching you can use down to 55% power easily around the green with say a CG64.  Shovelling the proverbial uphill with teh starter stuff.

MDWa:
    13 yds away from hole. 1 in. uphill

That's just less than 85% power with a HL Cleve CG64 pitched FBS...Gotta map those clubs and go with it.

Also see rest of thread loads of stuff:)

Jim you are a quality player , and all  the tips you give are priceless !!

thx JIm 

• TCorliss
    82 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 6:32 AM

My solution to chipping and pitching was the Punch shot. It totally improved my short game.

• DakotaDog61
    115 Posts
    Fri, Aug 29 2014 6:10 PM

SweetiePie:
    I flop and punch almost everything.

You've made me happy SP!

I had begun to realize, in the last few days, that punch/flop was producing far better results

for my game. Using that method, I was finally able to shoot a -3 on F9 Kiawah. I know, that's no big achievement for many here, but the point is how I was able to do it. Using those shots is a strategic decision, and finding out it is used by top players such as yourself, lets me know that I am indeed on the right path!

• miker06437
    156 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 3:16 PM

I must be stupid,but I cannot get this through my head at all. I've been playing this game two months,every shot under 100 yards is a total guessing game...and I guess right maybe one time in ten. Is there someway to explain for morons like me to understand?

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 8:43 PM
    miker06437:

I must be stupid,but I cannot get this through my head at all. I've been playing this game two months,every shot under 100 yards is a total guessing game...and I guess right maybe one time in ten. Is there someway to explain for morons like me to understand?

Pick a nice flat fairway and green. The 9th at St Andrews is good. Then try different shots with different clubs and write down the results on a piece of paper. From this you should be able to make up a chart with the best options for each distance. In practice mode you can use mulligans too.
  • ROBELLIOT
    234 Posts
    Tue, Sep 9 2014 8:46 PM

@ mdwa & miker06437   The pitch shot imo is one of the most faithful re creations of a golf shot on WGT & is well worth learning...it will save You !  WillsstrsWGT

This was the first ever  WGT video i ever saw ..it will help you visualize the Landing & roll .

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 10:57 AM

ROBELLIOT:

WGT video 

That putt lipped out at the end, no reason at all to edit the drop LOL

But yeah some people like the pitch on Pinehurst though I have no problem using a lot of flops , because until I get the pitch down pat, and the spin just right, I don't risk a miscalculation and have the ball roll off the turtleback green.

• conveyorguy
    767 Posts
    Fri, Dec 5 2014 5:15 PM

Turtleback ?...More like landing on a beach ball lol !...Seriously tho, after 2 years here, now lvl 97 legend w/66.1 avg., i didn't learn to pitch untiil "Pinehurts" came into regular usage. Glad it did, and use it more than the flop now. Flopping all the time almost seems like cheating, in that you rarely see pro's doing it irl (unless Phil Mickelson trying to show all the others how to do it lol). And no, i really not worried about my average at this point. It will go down eventually, but i play ALL the courses, unlike some of those legends (OH NO, NOT ST. GEORGE...MY AVG...WAAAAHHHHH) lmao.

None the less, some gr8 info here...thanx all for keepin it goin !

• xEclecticxKittyx
    1 Posts
    Wed, Apr 29 2015 12:25 PM

Great info -- definitely helpful!! 

• RickRR
    118 Posts
    Wed, Jul 29 2015 7:30 PM

Trust me you are not the worst at this. I have that Title.. I read all of the nice tips and comments then went to play a game, my first pitch shot went like this: I was off the green 7 or 8 feet on the fairway (keeping in mind never chip when you are more than 2 feet off green) and I think the hole was 15 yards from hole. Put backspin on the ball check the wind, elevation and slope. Pull out the Cleveland 60 (set at 17 yards) pulled back to swing meter, let her go and dinged the meter. Ball went 2 yards.. 2 yards.. I don't get it I guess.. Second pitch shot very similar, with the same results - 2 yards.. so see I have the title, and will never pitch again.

RSS