Forums

Help › Forums

I Witnessed Bob Gilder DOUBLE EAGLE - 1982 Manufacturers Hanover Westchester Classic

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:49 AM (0 replies)
  • AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2009 7:49 AM

Hello All...

I thought I would share this personal "Golf Memory" of mine.

I was in attendance AND WITNESSED Bob Gilder's Double Eagle during the Saturday Round of the 1982 Manufacturer's Hanover Westchester classic at the Westchester Country Club in Rye, New York.  (In later years, this tournament was renamed as The Barclay's and I think it has now even moved to a different course.)

I was 15 years old and witnessing this moment was a key moment in my (at the time) developing interest in Golf.

I am including a link to a "Memorable Moments" video that includes this footage.  I am seated somewhere RIGHT UP AGAINST THE ROPE on the left side near the sand trap.  I remember me and my family "camped out early" at the 18th Green after spending earlier parts of the day watching Craig Stadler and Jerry Pate up close and personal on the Front 9.  I remember the "big disappointment" at this tournament was that Tom Watson had failed to make the Friday cut and so I would not get to see him play.  Seeing the Double Eagle made up for it.

Take a looky - this was a great moment to be present to see!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95RYjIW-ywM 

Best Regards,  AtlantaCoaster

RSS