Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Silloth golf club

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:20 AM (5 replies)
  • plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:36 AM
    An American golfer whose name escapes me once commented after playing Silloth in a regional qualifier for the British Open that he had just played a hidden gem. on the west coast of the county of Cumbria in north west England Silloth golf club is hidden away amongst huge sand dunes. its a true links golf course in every sense of the word and played off the back tees in strong winds it will bring even the best golfers to their knees. a challenge to everyone who plays it. www.sillothgolfclub.co.uk
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 11:58 AM

But the bar at Silloth doesn't have a big screen TV... so that's going to downgrade it a bit.  Though I did notice they had a billiards table...

• TarheelsRule
    5,471 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:24 PM
    During my last trip to Scotland, we played a number of the British Open courses during our 2 weeks there. However when we were on the west couse of Scotland near Turnberry we played 3 courses that had been British Open qualifying courses for the Open which was played a few weeks earlier. These courses were great and in many cases better than the more famous versions. The cost was about 20% of the St. Andrews, Troon, etc. and caddy fees were a bit lower as well. When you showed up to play, we had prior reservations, the club secretary met you and showed you the club, telling you a little about it's history and any famous golfers that came from it. You were assigned a guest locker and given run of the club. The courses were well maintained and the caddies much better than the crew at St. Andrews, we were able to play 36 holes if we desired and the caddies were glad to loop another round for us. I learned that there are many hidden gems in Scotland on this trip and next time I won't miss many of them.
  • plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:25 PM
    but the pub up the road has a great big tv and great beer. anyway you would be on the golf course not watching tv
  • geordieles
    516 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2009 6:52 AM
    We used to play silloth a lot plim we have had many a weeks golf there it is a real test of golf ive shot -4 around there on a good weather day and 104 once when it was blowing a gale and raining.The par 5 along the sea front i think its hole 5 ive hit drive 9 iron to i have also hiy driver 3 wood 4 iron into the wind but you are right its a little gem of a course.As is Western gales a course on the west coast near troon.
  • plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Dec 24 2009 10:20 AM
    i've played glasgow gales just along the coast. some lovely courses around the area and all great to play
RSS