Forums

Help › Forums

Re: LOL

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 9 2024 11:43 AM (9 replies)
  • JZoll2
    23 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 1:45 PM

Just shot a 60 at PGA in that Bear Trap thing and was feeling pretty good about it. Saw the standings after that... 48, 49... LOL!! C'mon now! I mean, how is that even possible? All I can say is any semblance of realism is out the window with this game.
    Please please someone post a screenshot of one of those scorecards... it would be amusing to see :-)

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Mon, Mar 4 2024 8:12 PM

JZoll2:

Just shot a 60 at PGA in that Bear Trap thing and was feeling pretty good about it. Saw the standings after that... 48, 49... LOL!! C'mon now! I mean, how is that even possible? All I can say is any semblance of realism is out the window with this game.
    Please please someone post a screenshot of one of those scorecards... it would be amusing to see :-)

I happened to wake up early that morning and shot a 58.  I also felt decent about my effort.  Then 2 hours later I was dropping off the 3rd page of the leaderboard.  I commented on Discord (not bitching, but praising WGT for the new pins), and HOF JSmithers called that it would take a 51 to make the cut and even then some of the 51s might not make it - he was spot on.  It's crazy to me some of these guys can shoot those scores, but it does happen.

PGA is one of the easiest courses to go low, and the new pins are mostly shorter and more away from the water, so not hard to see these guys who are really good birdieing every Par 4 and eagling every Par 5 and a few Par 4s that are "reachable".

• MasterHacker74
    87 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2024 8:32 AM

This is probably the easiest unlimited qualifier ever.  Easier pins on an already easy course with the tees up… you are guaranteed 4 eagle chances (1, 3, 6, 10) with only 18 difficult to eagle in a headwind.  49 is a perfect score, going lower requires luck (I had a lucky hole-out on 11 for my 48).

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2024 8:54 AM

I agree with you.  The realism is non-existent.   I now avoid any match that involves money as it bring out the vampires.  One thing that may help level the playing field is to get rid of all the apparel bonuses.  I have yet to see a piece of clothing that has ever enhanced my golf game. Also need to add a shot timer to ALL matches.  This limits time for some of these guys to go through all their spreadsheets and compute all the factors.  I have noticed that when playing these higher level players in head-to-head matches with a timer, they don't shoot as well.

• Stlkcdc3
    278 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2024 1:43 PM

Squatch031:

Also need to add a shot timer to ALL matches.  This limits time for some of these guys to go through all their spreadsheets and compute all the factors.  I have noticed that when playing these higher-level players in head-to-head matches with a timer, they don't shoot as well.

Exactly. I don't think I have ever played a Hi-level player (meaning one of the top 50) but RGs, Brackets, Free weekly all should have a shot timer. 60 seconds or 75 if you like. I rarely take more than 15-20 seconds on approach. Trying to slow down my putting, but even that another 15-20 seconds. Not that I am any good. Letting folks have enough time to call MIT and have a team run their data into a super-computer before every shot seems a little off. 

• AnaNikolaj
    634 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2024 2:04 PM

Squatch031:

I agree with you.  The realism is non-existent.   I now avoid any match that involves money as it bring out the vampires.  One thing that may help level the playing field is to get rid of all the apparel bonuses.  I have yet to see a piece of clothing that has ever enhanced my golf game. Also need to add a shot timer to ALL matches.  This limits time for some of these guys to go through all their spreadsheets and compute all the factors.  I have noticed that when playing these higher level players in head-to-head matches with a timer, they don't shoot as well.

Tournament play is without apparel bonuses. And what you call vampires, are actually better skilled players 😉

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Mar 5 2024 2:52 PM

AnaNikolaj:
    And what you call vampires, are actually better skilled players 😉

Exactly.

Additionally, as an aside, players don't achieve 1-putt percents of +70% because of apparel or spreadsheets. The same could be said of similar numbers they put up. The players are simply that good. 

Besides, no spreadsheet actually executes a shot. Still, need the player. 

But there's nothing new here. It's fairly common for people to explain others' success by external factors (in this case, use of spreadsheets) while explaining their own success by internal characteristics (for example, one's own ability). 

• Rotoscout
    2 Posts
    Sun, Apr 7 2024 10:55 PM

Well said about the skills vs excuses comment (hopefully I’m not guilty of making the same excuses here) but to be fair…for the shot-calculator/spreadsheet player, when you say you “still have to ‘execute’ the shot”, all that’s really left to do is click a mouse at that point. Referring to it as “executing” is perhaps a bit of a stretch. Not that it’s much different for the touch/feel mobile player, the kind that never aims with the pointer. But at least they have a little more riding on each of those clicks. 

As for the shot timer, I wish there was an even shorter one in coin rooms. 30 sec max would be fine with me. Or how about as an extreme case, a tournament with a 20 second timer? That would be interesting. You’d have to be allowed around 5 timeouts tho. I wonder what that would do to scores across the tiers? Would the calculator types still shoot in the 50s or would they struggle to break 65-70 like us mere mortals?

• BlackBogey
    276 Posts
    Mon, Apr 8 2024 3:28 PM

Rotoscout:

Well said about the skills vs excuses comment (hopefully I’m not guilty of making the same excuses here) but to be fair…for the shot-calculator/spreadsheet player, when you say you “still have to ‘execute’ the shot”, all that’s really left to do is click a mouse at that point. Referring to it as “executing” is perhaps a bit of a stretch. Not that it’s much different for the touch/feel mobile player, the kind that never aims with the pointer. But at least they have a little more riding on each of those clicks. 

As for the shot timer, I wish there was an even shorter one in coin rooms. 30 sec max would be fine with me. Or how about as an extreme case, a tournament with a 20 second timer? That would be interesting. You’d have to be allowed around 5 timeouts tho. I wonder what that would do to scores across the tiers? Would the calculator types still shoot in the 50s or would they struggle to break 65-70 like us mere mortals?

This is just my opinion, but I think all the best players today have used a spreadsheet or calculator at one point.  Then, after plenty of reps, and playing the same holes over and over again, that's when they develop the "feel" we all talk about and they don't need to rely on the exact calculations as much. 

I can't find it now, but there's a YouTube of Young46 shooting a perfect round at Pinehurst and he never took over 30 seconds per shot (probably would've been even less but he was trying to explain his thinking on different shots throughout the round).  Same with most of the other top tier players, they can play just about as well with a 20 second shot clock as with a 75.  Now did they at one point take their sweet old time while playing practice rounds and using calculators?  Sure they did, but after doing it so much it's just ingrained now.

• BOZskills
    392 Posts
    Tue, Apr 9 2024 11:43 AM

Squatch,while i agree with you that alot of the apparel bonuses are bs. I do feel the need to say that personally i think a glove and golf shoes definetly help one play better irl. At least thats been my experience. I do think you make alot of valid points.

RSS