Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Wedge from the carpet

Mon, Dec 4 2023 7:02 AM (2 replies)
  • tnivka
    130 Posts
    Sat, Dec 2 2023 9:02 AM

Played a game where an opponent quit in a huff because another player hit a lofted club off the green. 1) Is it ethical? 2) Is it effective? Greens like St Andy's seem like their best suited for irons. 2a) I'll pitch from fringe in a heartbeat, but what works from green?

• paueett
    41 Posts
    Sun, Dec 3 2023 2:46 PM

Probably a full/punch wedge, if I remember correctly goes around 50% of the full distance. What you mean ethical? Like divots on the green? There's no rule saying you have to use a putt on the green. If you were in a multiplayer alternate shot and their partner got pissed then they have a point, it can be conceived as "not trying" as even the worst putter on the planet should have a higher make percentage with a putter than a wedge, a driver or whatever the guy in your game was doing.

Effective I mean... technically I think there's some very specific positions from which a wedge could leave you closer than rolling through the break if you have practiced it. That said virtually every single case I've seen of players using this, and I've seen quite a few, is something completely different: a scuffed attempt at "flexing" by hitting a driver from 3 feet instead of a putter like a normal person. Then when they miss, they get flamed and they're the ones to quit the game. They're weirdos but as long as they aren't bothering anyone else just let them be cool dawgs or whatever

• tnivka
    130 Posts
    Mon, Dec 4 2023 7:02 AM

Hi. My name is "worst putter on the planet" lol. My shortest wedge, pitch and full backspin, will go 14-yards and roll 6-inches from the fairway to green.  A 42-foot putt would make me weep, and I find myself praying my errant shots roll off the green and into the fringe. The math seems a little different there; but i still find the ball breaks less in the air than on the turf. But from the green, I dunno. And the punch confuses me from Everywhere.

RSS