Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Golf clubs we love...in real life

Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:24 AM (5 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Dec 12 2009 2:33 PM

When I started playing at age 7, I was given a Tommy Armour, 1950 black and white insert, eye-o-matic, oil hardened 4 wood, cut down, along with an old reuter jr bullseye putter, cut down and a MacGreagor VIP 5 iron. With a Dad club collector and three older brothers, I always received the hand-me-downs. Some things stay. I still play with the persimmon 4 wood with a dynamic S-100 shaft. Can't hit it an inch over 190 yrds or an inch under 180 yrds, but always arrow straight. Still use the bullseye, lengthened, but original shaft. And my irons are m-31 Mizunos, because my older eye still sees the clean line of the VIP. I wonder who else holds on to the past. 

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Dec 12 2009 2:55 PM

Nice post S.P.!

I started to play around 13. The first set my dad bought me  was a Patty Berg set...before you laugh at that, they fit me at that age far better than the Jr clubs at the time..I liked them so well I played with them well into my early 20's...by then i realized the shafts were way to soft for my club head speed and I then bought some titelist clubs and game on from there.

My favorite club was a 4 $ putter i got from a kmart cheapy bin..ive never putted with anythinbg better. Unfortunatly  my son broke the head off of it. (pot metal) and ive never putted as well since...ah nostalgia.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Sat, Dec 12 2009 5:15 PM

Ah .... i picked up golf a little later in life than you two and most of my clubs are modern equipment ... EXCEPT .... my putter is an ancient Tommy Armour Silver Scot PGA tour emblazoned logo blade putter with a 29 1/2 " shaft (very short) ... at my height ( 5' 11" tall ) , it puts my eyes directly over the putting line which helps lining up putts immensely ... and the very heavy head requires only a gentle rocking of the shoulders to have the ball rolling firmly down the line  ( think of a very slow moving grandfather clock pendulum ) ... very good for putting on any speed greens .... i think i would suffer incurable depression if i ever lost that putter ... nothing even comes close ( for me ) ...

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 8:22 AM

I picked up the game around the age of 6. Learned a lot since then and have held on to a ton of memories.

One item that i have is a divot tool made my PIng. Nothing more than your everyday ordinary divot tool, but this tool was made special in 1999 at the U.S. Open in PInehurst NC. I was 9 at the time and was a huge fan of "Payne in the ass" Payne Stewart. My father had a few tickets to the 2nd round of the open and fortunately enough he took me.

I was ecstatic upon arrival and immediatley knew who i wished to follow. We stood around 1 tee box until finally Payne tee'd off. We followed him all around the course. The gallery size was not that big, much of the attention was being placed on MIckelson.

As he stepped off the 18th green and began his walk to the scoring tent  The divot tool i had just bought i hold out to him and say please. He generously takes the tool and signs it. That was over 10yrs ago and the signature is still embedded in the metal as if it was yesterday. I use the tool every time i play golf and forever hold that memory every time i use it.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Dec 15 2009 8:36 PM

Wow ... nice keepsake rob ... it's potential value monetarily doesn't match the personal value ...

• acca
    78 Posts
    Wed, Dec 16 2009 3:24 AM

i love my wilson deep red driver , ..

RSS