Forums

Help › Forums

Re: How good/bad is the starter putter

Wed, Jun 3 2020 8:56 PM (7 replies)
  • papapotato
    120 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 6:02 AM

Greetings, I have been playing the game for a couple of months and moving up and upgrading clubs along the way. Am I limited with the starter putter versus what's available or is it good enough to use at the higher tiers? Just curious if I could be sinking many more putts with an upgrade.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 10:08 PM

IMHO, the Starter putter is the best club in that set. The only flaw that I remember is on the "balance" side: It strays quite a lot on long putts. I've used mine as long as I was comfortable with it, about L55.

Before buying a custom putter, you should know which is favourable for you as a "ding" or "off ding" putter.

You might want to wait for the next free rental days...

• papapotato
    120 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 6:06 AM

Thanks. I'm a "ding" putter, although I don't understand why some models would favor ding or off ding strategies. 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 8:43 AM

Good for you!

Concerning your question: Better putters have higher forgiveness which compensates deviations from the ding. This goes against off ding putting which is better with low forgiveness where the putter shows a stronger reaction on voluntarily missing the ding.

• 1irony
    415 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 10:04 AM

Since you are at L67 at the time writing, I would strongly recommend waiting until L70 and buy the Scotty Cameron at that level. It is by leaps and bounds the best bang for the buck putter-wise as it is 95% as good as the top putters and 50% of the price. You could definitely get away with using it forever.

Cheers,

Darren

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 11:07 AM

1irony:

Since you are at L67 at the time writing, I would strongly recommend waiting until L70 and buy the Scotty Cameron at that level. It is by leaps and bounds the best bang for the buck putter-wise as it is 95% as good as the top putters and 50% of the price. You could definitely get away with using it forever.

Cheers,

Darren

+1

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 5:49 PM

Something about the bow and the archer comes to mind...

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, Jun 3 2020 8:56 PM

You might also consider joining a CC that is at least Level 4 to get the free Shot Pal and Putter Pal.  That way you won't have to purchase those, as you have been doing, and the credits you save could be put to use by adding a 64° wedge to your bag.  The Titleist Vokey SM7 64° Wedge (L31+) would fit well with your other wedges.

RSS