Forums

Help › Forums

Replace individual clubs in iron sets

Fri, Dec 11 2020 2:32 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SHutcheson
    51 Posts
    Sat, May 23 2020 7:46 PM

I would sure like to buy the Callaway L94+ 52% wedge, but it only makes sense if I could replace the PW in my regular iron set. I have also had similar feedback from others who would like to replace their 3iron with 3hybrid.  It seems like a feature that could have noticeable positive impact on both player satisfaction AND revenue - how often do you suggestions that would do that?

• BagwnSriRajnesh
    11 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 12:33 PM

Second! My 3W is so long with the SE Shirt it’s a huge gap from my 3I. Would gladly swap that for a 227 (or longer if they had it) hybrid. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 3:54 PM

BagwnSriRajnesh:
    My 3W is so long with the SE Shirt it’s a huge gap from my 3I.

Change the shirt... simple as that.

That way you will no longer have that gap. Besides, how often would you really need the 3W anyway?

Don

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 7:02 PM

SHutcheson:

I would sure like to buy the Callaway L94+ 52% wedge, but it only makes sense if I could replace the PW in my regular iron set. I have also had similar feedback from others who would like to replace their 3iron with 3hybrid.  It seems like a feature that could have noticeable positive impact on both player satisfaction AND revenue - how often do you suggestions that would do that?

Players have been asking for this for years. I would love to carry my 52 degree wedge instead of pw. I found something almost as good though. I found that if I play my pw with about 20% bs it drastically improves my accuracy / distance control with it.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2020 1:51 AM

SHutcheson:
    I would sure like to buy the Callaway L94+ 52% wedge, but it only makes sense if I could replace the PW in my regular iron set.
    There's no way to break up any iron set!

The obvious way to go is

- either to look for a PW (and iron set) that fits above said wedge,

- or to select a wedge that fits below the PW.

Alternatively, use the wedge instead of the PW, effectively losing one club.

IMHO, a 115 yd wedge is of no particular use. Common wisdom is to have three wedges spread evenly somewhere between 50 and 105 yds, like 50-75-100 or 60-80-100 yds or 60-90-105. Sadly, there are a lot of wedges and wedge sets that don't fit in too well.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2020 7:36 AM

TopShelf2010:

BagwnSriRajnesh:
    My 3W is so long with the SE Shirt it’s a huge gap from my 3I.

Change the shirt... simple as that.

That way you will no longer have that gap. Besides, how often would you really need the 3W anyway?

Don

quite a bit actually. there are very few par 5s that can't be reached with a driver that averages 325 and a 3W that averages 268 off fairway. 

plus there are some  par 4s that it's better to drop in the 3W than the driver. 

adding distance to 3W is a better choice than adding distance to the irons. (imo)

But I use the MAX shirt for that not the SE shirt. the SE shirt adds iron spin and it changes the yardages of my irons. I like my irons to play the same between apparel rounds and non.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2020 9:09 AM

Mythanatos:
    quite a bit actually

You are correct. I should have worded that differently.

What I was referring too was the boosted 3W distance. While it is nice to have it on the Par 5's, as well as some Par 4's you mentioned, the OP did not like the gap it was causing.

I was simply suggesting go with a lesser boost to the 3W.

Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.

Don

• wedge0837
    862 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2020 9:50 AM

Or, 

You could play a regular game of golf, just like you used to be able to do, without the Apparel added extras to make your Driver 309+ Yards, 3W come in at 265Yards, etc etc etc. 

This is a fantasy golf game now folks. No longer Realistic to the core, 1 Hole games,

GG Man, Really GG...

and lets spoil any amount of realistic golf available on a cel phone these days. 

I can see why this game is NOW based on mobile players and 1 hole games.

Incredible money maker you guys have now created. 

Too bad EA Sports wasnt running TigerWoods Golf. I'd still be there. 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2020 10:00 AM

wedge0837:

You could play a regular game of golf, just like you used to be able to do, without the Apparel added extras to make your Driver 309+ Yards, 3W come in at 265Yards, etc etc etc. 

This is a fantasy golf game now folks. No longer Realistic to the core, 1 Hole games,

Solution: Don't wear apparel. Don't play coin games. and keep playing just like before... 

• BagwnSriRajnesh
    11 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2020 1:00 PM

Yup that is of course true, I could ditch the shirt.

In general this is not a big deal- I'm trading off rare events.

How often do I use the full ~260 3W? Not often- but it's nice to have it when the situation calls for it.

Same on the 3I vs HY swap-out. I will not have many circumstances where I need 225-240ish exactly. But would be nice to have it in those times. I think it would be handy to have as a rescue club, too.

Basically if I could swap 3I for Hybrid I could have my cake, and eat it too.

• PAGES
RSS