Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Steam vs. Early PC Access

Mon, Jun 22 2020 5:45 PM (28 replies)
  • Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 2:36 PM

DodgyPutter:
    The first seems easy enough, they wanted more customers. I really can't see what these "other benifts" are.

I was thinking about the anti-cheat system that Steam has that has been talked about here, for one thing. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 3:12 PM

Wutpa:
    I was thinking about the anti-cheat system that Steam has that has been talked about here, for one thing. 

People said that was why wgt were going to steam, now they have and didn't get VAC it's said they may get it in the future.  Why not right away if they were going to?  It's hard to argue against maybe but it seems extremely unlikely to me. 

Vac isn't that common with games on steam, of the 23,000+ games there 595 are VAC enabled, that's about 2.6%.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 3:41 PM

DodgyPutter:

Wutpa:

People said that was why wgt were going to steam, now they have and didn't get VAC it's said they may get it in the future.  Why not right away if they were going to?  It's hard to argue against maybe but it seems extremely unlikely to me. 

Vac isn't that common with games on steam, of the 23,000+ games there 595 are VAC enabled, that's about 2.6%.

I just want to add in, that I have 4 Golf Games on steam. The three other ones have the anti-cheat to them. Thats what they call it on their forums. 

Yes, there plenty of banned players complaining. I don't know how they can possibly cheat, they found a way though and got caught.

• jacktrade51
    10,831 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 5:14 PM

I want to thank everyone for the responses to thread I started.  I will keep watching it.  But taking in what everyone said, I suspect the smart response it to stick to the WGT version.  (Note, I don't play any other games.).

Tom.

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, May 13 2020 9:15 PM

DonCaron:

JDGHOST:
    So again I ask ...It is  known for a "FACT" that eventually the launcher WILL be disabled?...And what is the purpose of WGT doing that?

Unless we hear it from WGT, its not official.

It only make sense to get rid of the launcher to force people use steam.

It is pure conjecture.  WGT has never said this nor even implied it.

Personally, I think it would be stupid for WGT to force people to use Steam.  Steam requires more powerful PCs to run games without issues.  WGT would lose a lot of customers with older PCs if they did that.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 8:33 AM

SamSpayed:
    Personally, I think it would be stupid for WGT to force people to use Steam.  Steam requires more powerful PCs to run games without issues.  WGT would lose a lot of customers with older PCs if they did that.

You brought up an excellent point Sam. I think that's the sticking point.

Remember when the launcher came out, all the problems with people with older PC's. I don't want to see my friends not being able to play anymore either.

• johnniemo
    51 Posts
    Sun, Jun 21 2020 11:28 AM

So after playing PCEA for a few months now, I decided to give WGT a try through the Steam version. The previews show a game with avatars, layouts, and views quite different from what I have gotten used to. But, after downloading the file, getting the updates, creating an account, getting a new player name (my WGT name wasn't available) and muddling through the first few screens I actually started the program. And, lo and behold, I was back in WGT PCEA with my old name and same everything else.... So how do I actually get to start the game in Steam? Anybody else have this experience?

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2020 10:46 AM

PCEA and Steam WGT are, apart from the daily bonus, the same thing.

• Pego1986
    124 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2020 5:45 PM

garyk49:

MarchieB:

I believe WGT's reason for adding the game to Steam was to have access to it's millions of potential new players. That's fine but as long as there is a stand alone PCEA version, I will stay clear of Steam. I do not see any advantage to using it over the standalone.

WRONG.  IMO, tho I don't believe it is working yet.  I believe the main reason for going to steam will be to stop cheating.  Once banned on steam, you won't get back.

you are wrong. Steam doesnt ban steam acount if you cheating at game. You can be ban at game , if game have anticheat (but you can still buy tons different games and play them). 

I dont know why Steam would baning users from platform if they can spend money buying games (Steam is a video game digital distribution service by Valve.)

I know what about i'm talking. I using steam since 2003. 

BTW (Steam was create  cos Valve had problems updating online game Counter Strike and decided to create a platform that would update games automatically and implement stronger anti-piracy measures. 

And as time went on,  steam became to biggest game platform :)

RSS