Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I Can't See the Trees

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 12 2020 3:42 AM (8 replies)
  • GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Sat, May 9 2020 8:46 AM

I've noticed in some head to heads people are seemingly able to just hit the ball magically through a tree. I can't see a ball in the pro shop that goes through trees so no idea how this makes any sense. 

Regardless, I went into practice mode and started trying it for myself. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. But the thing is, I can't even see the top of the damn trees on mobile. How am I supposed to find a way to aim through the trees if I can't see them?

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 9:37 AM

I think you need to realise there are different trajectory clubs , and sometimes the best clubs allow you to go much higher , whether you can see the trees or not , and it isn’t to do with the ball , it’s the equipment . 
    if you practice enough with your own clubs you will learn where you can or cannot get away with it .  

• Dave33200
    2,932 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 9:56 AM

It comes from experience. Knowing which holes, it works on, and which holes it doesn’t. Also, like Bossbird said, clubs, and balls make a difference also.

I used to always avoid trying to go through the trees, till I played with others who showed me how to do it.

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 9:58 AM

+1 to above answer.

It is different for different holes, meaning that some holes you can "magically" go through or over trees and others will knock your ball right down.  Best way to figure out which ones you can aim more aggressively is to play alt shot with others or ask other experienced players in your CC.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 10:11 AM

GrindNGamble:
    I've noticed in some head to heads people are seemingly able to just hit the ball magically through a tree

It's not that they go through them, they're going around them such as you would with a draw or fade. You won't see it from the front view but if you watch the reverse view it becomes clear. The game doesn't render the ball flight so you don't see the curve but that's what the ball is doing.  :-)

A perfect example is BPB2 from the back tees. Aiming in the fairway and missing the ding to the first line before perfect (like you were hooking the shot)  will look like it's going through the tree but that tree is close to the tee and the ball looks like it went right through. Watch the reverse view and you'll see.  :-)

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 1:59 AM

On top of this, there are "invisible branches", free areas where the balls are stopped and drop in mid flight. OLY comes to mind for these mysterious obstacles, though they may have been "cleaned".

• GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 3:42 AM

YankeeJim:

GrindNGamble:
    I've noticed in some head to heads people are seemingly able to just hit the ball magically through a tree

It's not that they go through them, they're going around them such as you would with a draw or fade. You won't see it from the front view but if you watch the reverse view it becomes clear. The game doesn't render the ball flight so you don't see the curve but that's what the ball is doing.  :-)

A perfect example is BPB2 from the back tees. Aiming in the fairway and missing the ding to the first line before perfect (like you were hooking the shot)  will look like it's going through the tree but that tree is close to the tee and the ball looks like it went right through. Watch the reverse view and you'll see.  :-)

As best as I can tell, you can't see an opponent's reverse angle when they play a shot in H2H. This would make sense as most of the time I can't even see a reverse angle of the trees when I'm trying to line up my own shot. 

Not sure if the view is different on desktop, but I know on mobile there's a number of things you can't do (I.e. move the aim point using the mini map). Makes it very hard when you need to aim somewhere unorthodox, like the left side of the fairway on St Andrews 14 when you can't carry the fescue on your 2nd shot.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 5:21 AM

"they may have been "cleaned"."

Like the Eisenhower tree?

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, May 12 2020 10:10 AM

YankeeJim:

GrindNGamble:

no we are going right through them. 7 pinehurst is an example from master tees or strong tail from back tees.

2 i think it is  on Bethpage is another.

Some holes on Olympic.

there are others.

Some you can get through with FBS some you get through with flatter angles. Some are very site specific. It's really just experience and trying different things. 

RSS