Help › Forums

When to upgrade?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 25 2020 4:55 AM (6 replies)
  • GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Sat, Apr 4 2020 8:32 AM

Hi All,

I've only been playing this game a week but enjoying it a lot (what else is there to do in a lockdown?). I'm up to Level 38 but starting to struggle on longer holes as I'm still using starter equipment (and level up rentals have dried up). So my question is, at what point do I start looking to upgrade clubs? I don't want to upgrade a lot and am happy to wait til the right level before purchasing, but wasn't sure at what stage I should begin.

Any particular clubs I should be targetting?

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2020 7:28 AM

Gng,Tm driver at lvl 55,ping iron set at lvl59 both will last you a long time. At your rate of leveling up shouldn't take you too long to get there. Gl!

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2020 1:49 PM

@GrindNGamble, you may advance to Master in about 15 strokeplay rounds. There, you'll be moved to the next tee which is quite uncomfortable with the Starter driver.

You may well choose a driver below the Ping. This set is remarkable for the first high trajectory irons in the Pro Shop, and at a reasonable price - not so important with driver.

Have fun!!

• GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2020 8:16 AM

BOZskills:

Gng,Tm driver at lvl 55,ping iron set at lvl59 both will last you a long time. At your rate of leveling up shouldn't take you too long to get there. Gl!

alosso:

@GrindNGamble, you may advance to Master in about 15 strokeplay rounds. There, you'll be moved to the next tee which is quite uncomfortable with the Starter driver.

You may well choose a driver below the Ping. This set is remarkable for the first high trajectory irons in the Pro Shop, and at a reasonable price - not so important with driver.

Have fun!!

Thanks guys. Watching the videos I should have a couple of weeks to save up for the Ping Irons, and I expect it'll take me at least that long to get to level 59.

I can't say I'm looking forward to Master Tier. I'm already encountering 490 yard Par 4's, I can't imagine how much worse it'll be at later levels!

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2020 10:24 AM

I used coin rental club sets until i got to the desired clubs in mid 50 levels..  the yardages are not huge different but the trajectory changes from mid to high which helps.  

Learning to play at least par golf with those kind of clubs on the forward tees will help your course management later in game.  When you pair coin rentals with sponsor apparel, they will play even better.

GrindNGamble:
    can't say I'm looking forward to Master Tier. I'm already encountering 490 yard Par 4's,

this is likely because you are playing higher stakes coin rooms where you lose your forward tee advantage... given another showdown event is going to take place... you will see more higher skilled players seemingly slumming it in the 10k room where they are required to play... that means TC, Champs, and TL with maxed out apparel playing off of forward tee boxes.... they will be driving greens and hitting wedges into most holes...

DO NOT venture into those rooms especially during a showdown as your odds of facing one of them goes up and they can't just forfeit to you because it impacts their score card.  

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Mon, Apr 6 2020 10:58 AM
    I'm glad to see you have 3 wedges and didn't go with a hybrid. If you can learn to flop and punch it's like having 6 more clubs. Play often and have fun !!
  • GrindNGamble
    14 Posts
    Sat, Apr 25 2020 4:55 AM

I now have all the clubs outlined in this thread, and I have to say, they are great. Thanks for all the suggestions!

My question now is -- what's next? I had to chip in for a few credits to afford these clubs but want to start saving now for whatever should come next. I wouldn't mind some new wedges at some point -- the meter on my current ones is a lot faster than my irons and it's definitely putting me off at times. Not sure what I should be aiming for though?

el3n1:

I used coin rental club sets until i got to the desired clubs in mid 50 levels..  the yardages are not huge different but the trajectory changes from mid to high which helps.  

Learning to play at least par golf with those kind of clubs on the forward tees will help your course management later in game.  When you pair coin rentals with sponsor apparel, they will play even better.

GrindNGamble:
    can't say I'm looking forward to Master Tier. I'm already encountering 490 yard Par 4's,

this is likely because you are playing higher stakes coin rooms where you lose your forward tee advantage... given another showdown event is going to take place... you will see more higher skilled players seemingly slumming it in the 10k room where they are required to play... that means TC, Champs, and TL with maxed out apparel playing off of forward tee boxes.... they will be driving greens and hitting wedges into most holes...

DO NOT venture into those rooms especially during a showdown as your odds of facing one of them goes up and they can't just forfeit to you because it impacts their score card.  

It was too much playing the easier courses that I like playing (St Andrews and Wolf Creek) that unfortunately leveled me up a tier. Maybe I should have played Merion more -- would probably still be on the green if I was though!

RSS