Help › Forums

Re: Reduce prices during corona virus

Tue, Apr 14 2020 2:34 PM (55 replies)
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 9:18 AM

Robert1893:

alosso:
    To me, it's proof of successful business. Their clients are willing to pay that! 

I was thinking the same thing. 

I really don't understand why players complain about how expensive the balls can be. I would understand the complaint if WGT only offered the free starter ball and balls at $10 a sleeve or more. But they don't. That have balls at every price point between those extremes.

So, they offer an expensive option. Either people will buy the balls or they won't. But if there's a less expensive option for me to purchase, why I would even care that there are more expensive versions of it? 

I wouldn't. 

To the initial point, we'll see.   I think when it's just the new and mobile game there will be a different demographic playing, maybe more accounts but also likely less of the older people who had an interest in golf, more money and less other things to spend it on.

Kyle said "With the "Launcher version", they try to attract youngsters, Which "youngster" has the time AND the money to follow them? "  And I think that's a valid point.

As to the ease of ignoring the expensive option, certaily you can and it's even  true you can play with starters for free.  It's also true that some (5..6?) years ago the top balls were 300c and now they cost 1225c thats a 408% increse.

The fact these balls sell may be "proof" of a successful buisness, although I'd suggest that's an interpretation rather than proof as you don't know numers of sales etc. It's also some of "their clients" that are willing to pay it; usually those that can afford them or those that win, otherwise useless, credits. I just realise I pay for them, entering rg's etc :-( 

I'll not interpret cutting weekly and monthly competitions completely and vastly reducing the prizes in those that remain, closing the elite section, replacing the VT with something much cheaper etc etc.

Whatever, even if it is as successful a buisness as the two of you suggest, with the lack of competition to it that there is, could it have been/be more succesful with a different pricing policy?

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 9:38 AM

DodgyPutter:
    As to the ease of ignoring the expensive option, certaily you can and it's even  true you can play with starters for free.  It's also true that some (5..6?) years ago the top balls were 300c and now they cost 1225c thats a 408% increse.

If the previous top balls had the same characteristics as the current top balls, then it's an increase. If they don't have the same characteristics, then the "increase" is more apparent than real. 

The reason is that the current high-end balls are a different product. Or to put it another way: can the balls that were the top ones 5 to 6 years ago still be purchased for the same number of credits one could purchase them for back then? 

It's only an increase if the balls have the same characteristics. 

Yes, it's true that we don't know how much WGT sells. But at the very least, since we can see that people do purchase the high-end balls, we do know that WGT must understand something about the market, yes? 

After all, WGT offered a product and people are buying it. 

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 10:32 AM

A thought of concern with all this craziness going on and what it's effect may be on the economy, is what if advertisers start cutting bait, and what that may do to the financial structure around here?

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 10:38 AM

twinponds169:

A thought of concern with all this craziness going on and what it's effect may be on the economy, is what if advertisers start cutting bait, and what that may do to the financial structure around here?

According to this article, it doesn't currently appear that they need to worry about losing advertisers. Of course, what are they going to say? So, who knows?

TopGolf may not know the long-term impact of its live venue business going dark, but its advertisers have remained supportive throughout the coronavirus pandemic, the company said. Most are also locked into long-term agreements with the sports entertainment brand.  

https://frntofficesport.com/topgolf-wgt-game-marketing/

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 2:20 PM

Robert1893:
    If the previous top balls had the same characteristics as the current top balls, then it's an increase. If they don't have the same characteristics, then the "increase" is more apparent than real. 

I really know nothing about computer programming, it may be that changing three things (distance, spin and meter speed) from one number involves enough to justify a 408% increse in price.

The characteristics of the ball are not the point for me, if I paid the 300c when that was the top price I entered competitions knowing, that before ability become a factor, I was on an equal footing with the best.  Now unless I pay 4 times as much this isn't the case.  All better and better equipment does is lower scores it doesn't make us better players, it doesn't, for me anyway, make the game more fun.  As prices get higher then more and more can't afford the best equipment  meaning those that can are at an ever bigger advantage.

And yes I know it's "the way things are" that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Robert1893:
    Yes, it's true that we don't know how much WGT sells. But at the very least, since we can see that people do purchase the high-end balls,

do we know that WGT must understand something about the market? 

Yes, something although you could point to anything in the pro shop and say the same, even focus boost.

Whatever, even if it is as successful a buisness as the two of you suggest, with the lack of competition to it that there is, could it have been/be more succesful with a different pricing policy?

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 9:20 PM

As we have moved from the original topic theme of "Gimme, Gimme"........  to the financial aspects of cost comparison, balance sheets and corporate greed....  and the "soon to be discussed"  quantum and mechanical physics of golf equipment.......

One thing remains true and constant.....     Mag's can still kick everybody's ass with a 300 credit Cally......       And  you can "bank" on that.........

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2020 12:47 AM

Hi

It will be nice, if WGT gives a discount to those especially who buy with real money. 

At this point of time, I see most people online in WGT n it has never happened.

So that pretty much sums up the story.

Having said that, WGT might be thinking, if they reduce the prize at this point of time, people might stock up for the future which might have an impact on the profit card. 

Well, you can tweak the option a little n make it only for "Card users or other payments"

Tx

- Carl 

• pmm711
    5,514 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2020 4:52 AM

LuckySkreet:
    One thing remains true and constant.....     Mag's can still kick everybody's ass with a 300 credit Cally......       And  you can "bank" on that.........

😂  Plus Mags never complains about game updates causing errant shots, excessive lip outs, etc etc etc.

WGT...golf courses that require zero manicuring, watering, fertilizing, topsanding, etc.  Their Pro Shop sells nothing “real” and in some instances for more than the actual RL product...and people actually buy them...that's pure marketing genius at its finest.  PT Barnum had it right...there's a sucker born every minute.  Then they offer a perfect swing to every player and provide the exact distance and wind/weather conditions for every shot.  You have no cost in getting to the course and play in the comfort of your own home.  No need to tip the waitstaff and bartender when you grab a bite. The only true complaint anyone should have is you can’t get away from your loved one in order to play.  There is nothing worse than lining up a perfect putt and then the spouse enters the kitchen.  POOF...damn lip out..."it was her fault".  If they can figure out a way to sell a virtual spouse silencer sales would skyrocket and they could charge whatever they wanted for that one...and receive no complaints.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2020 6:06 AM

DodgyPutter:
    The characteristics of the ball are not the point for me, if I paid the 300c when that was the top price I entered competitions knowing, that before ability become a factor, I was on an equal footing with the best.  Now unless I pay 4 times as much this isn't the case.  All better and better equipment does is lower scores it doesn't make us better players, it doesn't, for me anyway, make the game more fun.  As prices get higher then more and more can't afford the best equipment  meaning those that can are at an ever bigger advantage.

All of that suggests to me pretty good marketing on their part. ðŸ˜€

As others have already said, players don't need the best balls to be competitive. Additionally, to enjoy the game, the best balls aren't needed either. Personally, I haven't changed the ball I use in 5 years. I've consistently used the Level 81 ball. It does what I need and my enjoyment level remains the same. 

A couple of times, I've tried higher-priced balls. On average, I didn't score better, and I didn't enjoy the game more. So, I've seen no increase in pricing. 

Regardless, sounds to me as if they created the need for the balls by selling them. What is that but successful marketing? And I'm going to get into the gradations of how successful they are or could be. 

• LuckySkreet
    611 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2020 5:46 AM

pmm711:

LuckySkreet:

😂  Plus Mags never complains about game updates causing errant shots, excessive lip outs, etc etc etc.

WGT...golf courses that require zero manicuring, watering, fertilizing, topsanding, etc.  Their Pro Shop sells nothing “real” and in some instances for more than the actual RL product...and people actually buy them...that's pure marketing genius at its finest.  PT Barnum had it right...there's a sucker born every minute.  Then they offer a perfect swing to every player and provide the exact distance and wind/weather conditions for every shot.  You have no cost in getting to the course and play in the comfort of your own home.  No need to tip the waitstaff and bartender when you grab a bite. The only true complaint anyone should have is you can’t get away from your loved one in order to play.  There is nothing worse than lining up a perfect putt and then the spouse enters the kitchen.  POOF...damn lip out..."it was her fault".  If they can figure out a way to sell a virtual spouse silencer sales would skyrocket and they could charge whatever they wanted for that one...and receive no complaints.

Absolutely............

RSS