Help › Forums

Re: Hello from Hyderabad, India

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 5 2020 2:50 PM (9 replies)
  • nikhilnayak
    4 Posts
    Wed, Mar 25 2020 4:59 AM

Hello,

With the global lock downs in effect, I see myself spending more time on here.  Would like to introduce myself although I had joined WGT in 2012. 

I am a GHIN 12 Hcp golfer who normally plays about 3 rounds a week.  Have been playing the game since 1996 when I picked up the game while in college at the University of Florida, Gainesville.   I returned to India after graduating to join a family business which is in the Engineering area where we work as Manufacturers Representatives for several companies from Europe and the USA.

Golf has been my release ever since my college days and I look forward to my four ball every week. With this new lock down situation this has now come to a complete stop.  I am hoping to invite my buddies to join on here and maybe start a Club of our own.  

I look forward to exchanging notes with everyone on here.  

Best Regards

Nikhil "Nick" Nayak
    Hyderabad, India

• DufferJohn7
    3,561 Posts
    Thu, Mar 26 2020 1:36 PM

Nick,

Welcome aboard!

If it gets lonely in your new club give us a shout at Jolly Jims Casual Country Club. We're small, very active and have lots of tournaments of every type going. No need to be by yourself.

Have fun and hit em straight,

John

• nikhilnayak
    4 Posts
    Fri, Mar 27 2020 4:21 AM

Hello John,

Thank you very much for the invitation. Much appreciated!

Today is my third day and I am just taking a spin with the game software at the moment.  Just getting a handle on the clubs and the game interface.  Will make sure to stop by Jolly Jims CC once I get a few more practice rounds under my belt.

Regards

Nick

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Sun, Mar 29 2020 6:39 PM

Good for you Nick.

Lots to learn but the best way is to play all the courses and take your time to accumulate knowledge rather than trying to burn your way upwards. Since you're a golfer in real life I can imagine that's just the way you'll approach it too.

Enjoy the game while you have more time to play it, and hopefully you'll still want to play once you are no longer confirmed and can get out on a real course again.

Best of luck to you on WGT, on real courses and in life, especially during this critical time.

Nigel.

• nikhilnayak
    4 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2020 11:26 AM

Nigel,

Thank you very much for the kind words.  

Yes being a golfer helps to some extent.  I have found that this is a really nice way to keep in touch with the game at the moment.  The physics engine is pretty good.  Getting to learn how to play with the WGT clubs as well - terrible out of the rough for me at the moment.  

Thank you again and my best to you as well. Stay safe!

Regards

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Mar 30 2020 1:44 PM

nikhilnayak:
    I look forward to exchanging notes with everyone on here. 

There's a thread I think you should look at as you learn how this game works. Some of your shots are going to make absolutely no sense to you at all but you have to embrace what WGT is doing here-trying to replicate the real thing.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/145845.aspx

You're an experienced golfer so you should be able to appreciate what it takes to play golf. It doesn't change here, you still have to learn your equipment-and that will be changing as you learn- learn all the shots,there's 5 of them- and play smart.

You'll be challenged by a primitive AI engine (search VEM) so just when you think you have it figured out, it changes every time you move up a tier. LOL You'll see. GL.  ;-)

Required reading for short games.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2020 8:48 PM
    Nick, You've already gotten great advice, so let me just say, as a fellow "real life" golfer, we're in the same boat. Not only do I miss the game, but I miss the exercise (the only cart I use is a putt cart). Of course, at age 75, I don't hit the ball nearly as far as I do on WGT. All best, and keep having fun!
  • alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2020 11:18 PM

Welcome in the game!

nikhilnayak:
    Getting to learn how to play with the WGT clubs as well - terrible out of the rough for me at the moment.  

This is partly because of the caddie - he's recommending the wrong clubs most of the time - and partly because of the Starter clubs - they are somehow useable but with limitations.

My two Pfennig for you: From the rough, only full + punch shots - forget pitch+chip!
    Furthermore, no shots below 70% of power with the Starters - below, they are going nowhere! Putter is linear from 1 to 100 % though.

And, mind the green speeds - they change a lot between games!

• nikhilnayak
    4 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2020 6:51 AM

YankeeJim:

You're an experienced golfer so you should be able to appreciate what it takes to play golf. It doesn't change here, you still have to learn your equipment-and that will be changing as you learn- learn all the shots,there's 5 of them- and play smart.

You'll be challenged by a primitive AI engine (search VEM) so just when you think you have it figured out, it changes every time you move up a tier. LOL You'll see. GL.  ;-)

Thanks Jim! 

Appreciate the information shared. Very useful.
    Will have to do a little reading to get a bead on things here.

Regards

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Apr 5 2020 2:50 PM

nikhilnayak:
    Will have to do a little reading to get a bead on things here.

I've been studying this game for almost 11 years and I can tell you it's well worth the investment. Sure, it's a computer game but when you take it to the level of a real golfer's imagination, you can draw parallels in what you experience here to what you experience on an actual course.

I'm a so-so Champion here BUT my performance remarkably follows Tiger Woods and his ilk if you liken me to RL pros. Win some, lose some, look like a hack in others. It all fuels the fantasy.  :-)

RSS