Forums

Help › Forums

VEM

Sat, Dec 4 2021 2:21 PM (21 replies)
  • JakeDrollinger
    36 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2020 12:58 PM

May seem incredible to some, but I just learned about this aspect of WGT. It totally makes sense now and in fact is sort of a relief; makes me know that I am not crazy. I have been hitting beautiful approach shots into greens just about everywhere I play, but I can't make is putt over 6 feet to save my life. I have spent hours on the practice green and for the most part I hole everything inside 10 feet, but once I get out on the course,, it's a different story. The VEM pushes my putts off line at the last second, flashing away from the scene for a an instant to make me think that I have mishit it. Not enough to make me stop playing the game; I am still improving, but it seems a little screwy.

• Alpick1
    69 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2021 5:15 AM

Yep VEM does exist and it can screw your game if you are competing for leading Tournament for example. Lets face it like this : the leader is at -8 on a 9 hole tourney round and you are -7 after the 8th hole. Then you hit a perfect Tee shot on the 9th letting you facing an easy approach shot of 123 Yds low wind, you know your distance calculation, you hit a perfect shot, but you just missed the ding by a hair…normally no problem at that distance it should let you an easy 2 footer putt….but noooooo….the VEM switch went suddenly on on the shot and trow your ball 6yds pass the hole….you scratching your head and you are sooooo pissed off right ? That’s the VEM <equalizer> in action…YOU NOT have screwed your shot at all…. THE GAME DOES at your place !! Is it realistic golf ? I don’t think so….and its certainly not realistic gaming as well !!

I have read some people comfortable with the VEM in this forum….most of them (Like Yankee Jim) are coin roomers only players….so VEM is not bother them much, but facing it when you play and battle for a leaderboard is a complete other story, its no fun when that happen.

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Sun, Nov 14 2021 9:13 AM

What if ya got it backwards....

How do you know if your beautiful shots are the result of VEM and the Bad shots are actually all on you?

• WGTweb
    27 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 1:32 PM

What if random variables... vary randomly?  Nah, definitely sentient AI from 2008.

• HamdenPro
    2,402 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 2:54 PM

VEM exist....

Somewhere there is a thread which talks a little about it. Basically, as I barely understand it, there are algorithms that attempt to simulate human error. Sometimes a crap shot, or a total ding miss, actually is dead on and we think, lucky as crap...other times you do everything right and everything goes wrong...

On a different note about VEM, there is a video on youtube where a member explains how to "confuse" the VEM and make perfect putts everytime...yep....!!! So, I  tested it out, it involves before putting, spinning your player around clockwise, 360 and then counterclockwise. You then line up your putt, if little to no break, ignore break, and if break, adjust for same, and "hit the ding"...perfect putt, every time. He drops 50 and 60 footers to prove the point..so...

I went to Wolf Creek front 9 to test this theory. On #1, I was on in 2 with a 28' putt. I did as in the video and boom....dropped for E.  Then on to #2, big tailwind slightly right to left and I drove the green 38' from cup.  I do as in the video and BOOM, ....dropped for an E...OMG< I think, this works....The next few holes I made birds but they were short putts and then the wheels fell off.......no more "confusing the VEM"  lol....

So...VEM is crap but it does exist!!!! IMHO 

• twinponds169
    3,004 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 3:18 PM

Alpick1:
    most of them (Like Yankee Jim) are coin roomers only players

Really?

SMH

• PureGro1
    1,654 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 5:42 PM

HamdenPro:
    I went to Wolf Creek front 9 to test this theory. On #1, I was on in 2 with a 28' putt. I did as in the video and boom....dropped for E.  Then on to #2, big tailwind slightly right to left and I drove the green 38' from cup.  I do as in the video and BOOM, ....dropped for an E...OMG< I think, this works....The next few holes I made birds but they were short putts and then the wheels fell off.......no more "confusing the VEM"  lol....

Correlation and causation here IMO...

Is your contention that w/o the spinning you would not have made those putts?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Nov 30 2021 8:47 PM

Time for some moments of silence for YJ!

Condolences

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 2:13 AM

Alpick1:
    I have read some people comfortable with the VEM in this forum….most of them (Like Yankee Jim) are coin roomers only players….so VEM is not bother them much, but facing it when you play and battle for a leaderboard is a complete other story, its no fun when that happen.

Personally I think most of your post is nonsense, you seem to say when things go right it's down to you but when things go wrong it's the game.  That's just my opinion and if you want to start the last hole thinking "vem's going to get me here" you do that.

I did look to see what tournament you were talking about but didn't find it, I think you won all the one's I looked at.  On that, did you win them as the person/people behind were hit by vem?  Maybe vem is especially harsh on red tee tournaments?.

What is completely wrong though is the quoted paragraph.  Yankee Jim is no longer with us so can't answer himself but to use him as an example of a "coin room only player" is ridiculous and perhaps also an an indication of how much you check what you're saying.

Someone with 19 alt shot games and 1,182 rr's saying that a person with over 10,000 alt shot games and over 5,500 ranked rounds  is a "coin room only player"!.  I don't know if he ever played in a coin room but if he did I'd bet it was less than 1% of his play.

• Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Wed, Dec 1 2021 2:24 AM

HamdenPro:

VEM exist....

Somewhere there is a thread which talks a little about it. Basically, as I barely understand it, there are algorithms that attempt to simulate human error. Sometimes a crap shot, or a total ding miss, actually is dead on and we think, lucky as crap...other times you do everything right and everything goes wrong...

On a different note about VEM, there is a video on youtube where a member explains how to "confuse" the VEM and make perfect putts everytime...yep....!!! So, I  tested it out, it involves before putting, spinning your player around clockwise, 360 and then counterclockwise. You then line up your putt, if little to no break, ignore break, and if break, adjust for same, and "hit the ding"...perfect putt, every time. He drops 50 and 60 footers to prove the point..so...

So...VEM is crap but it does exist!!!! IMHO 

Are you talking about this video?

If so, Jay would be laughing so much!!! And we as well!!!

Cheers.

:)

RSS