Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Hooks and Slices are hard =(

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 21 2020 11:57 AM (6 replies)
  • paueett
    41 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 1:52 AM

UPDATE > locking any future replies to this post as it's essentially a duplicate and the replay feature is gone. If you happen to land on this thread go here for the replays and stuff

Soo hooks and slices.. you may or may not know they exist in this game, but I did some testing after I hit that damn tree in Congressional #4 with left-to-right wind for the 1000th time.

First off it works driving from the tee, the 3W behaves similarly to an extent and I have no idea about hybrids... but some old forum post mentions it working for all clubs and that is incorrect: with irons and wedges it mostly alters your starting path, you don't get anything remotely similar to the curve with the driver.

To get an aggressive curve you have to hit the sweetspot between the last 1/5th or so of the dark blue bar and the line that separates dark blue from black. The problem is there's a ton of variance in that area, every tiny bit closer you get to that line makes the curve substantially sharper and if you manage to hit it right on that line it turns like crazy. Anything less does pretty much nothing, the progressive deviation that you may have experienced when you miss early or late.. and obviously if you make it into the black zone it's a duffed shot into whatever happens to be in front of the tees.

Worth mentioning that I expected a massive drop in overall distance and carry but there was virtually none compared to any other shot that didn't hit the ding. Also the ball stats don't really influence hooks/slices, you'll get a wider curve with long/spinny balls but that's because of the higher+longer trajectory.

So the max curve slice/hook that comes from hitting the line between dark blue and black is a very difficult shot to pull off, with horrible consequences if you miss and potentially useful in very few holes :) That said, if you aim for that last 1/5th or so of dark blue you still get a very decent and functional draw/fade curve and have plenty of room to hit it..similar to a regular shot if you picture the ding and a couple ding-lengths to either side of it.

That said, when you get it right on that line it's a stunningly beautiful shot from the front-side view... so with some practice you could use it to style on someone if you're confident enough. I'm kinda sad they never really developed the "shot-shaping" concept in this game.

--------------------------------------------

EDIT: Thought I'd tidy up the post for anyone who checks it down the line.

Meter: I got the reconnect glitch pop-up after one of the slice attempts so I decided to screenshot the meter, you might need to zoom in and it's dark because of the pop-up but it'll do:

Basically what I'm trying to hit is that "ding" line slightly to the right of where I hit this one, mirrored on the other side for hooks. In this case, you'd get a nice slice curve but still noticeably smaller than the one on the replay... small differences in this area change the outcome of the shot drastically.

Replays:

Slice

Hook

Fade against heavy sidewind

Draw against heavy sidewind

*The sharpness of the curve and the difference between starting path vs landing spot can be best appreciated from camera 1

P.S. If I'm on your team in an Alternate Shot and we are playing a course with anything but straight fairways... you should probably run =^)

Cheers!

• Gogreen99
    9 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2020 6:12 PM

I think the game would be improved if we could easily shape the ball.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 3:11 PM

paueett:
    Saved 1 replay of each from relevant tees if you wanna check them out

Excellent illustrations, paueett.  I have seen a member of my CC demonstrate this idea on BPB #2 but have never seen it done on Olympic #5.  

I am curious, though.  All your replays show shots with the wind blowing in the same direction as your intended curve.  A helping wind, you might say.  Have you ever tried that shot when the wind is blowing the opposite way, i.e. against your intended curve?  If so, what were your results?

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 4:59 PM

Not certain of pauett’s result, but yes, the fade and draw work in all wind conditions at least on the mobile platform. It is just a matter of adjusting your aiming point and occasionally the amount of spin/fade you impart on the ball. I use the shaped shot on 4 holes at Olympic and 1 sometimes 2 holes at Merion and as you noted number 2 at BPB. Occasionally, like pauett suggests, it can be used at CONGO. The long dogleg left par 5 on the back 9 at Olympic sets up perfectly for a draw from the tee and 3 wd draw from the fairway for the second shot (if you aim the appropriate distance to the right). The only caveat I have experienced is tee selection. My shots work best from the champ tees as there is more room to work the ball. From the hard tees, I have to use 90% power in several instances as there is not enough room to turn the ball so as not to land in the rough. One other note, in the mobile game at least, the aimer on OLY 5 as it is positioned when the screen first appears is in perfect position as initially presented for a fade. However if you have a high trajectory driver or there is the slightest left to right wind, you need to adjust more to the left as there is a very strong possibility that your ball, at it ascends, will clip the low hanging branch.

The shot set up with my equipment is relatively simple. The basic draw is accomplished by dinging the first line left of the ding mark and the fade is the first line to the right of the ding mark. Moving left or right of these lines will increase/decrease the amount of fade or draw as you so desire.

• paueett
    41 Posts
    Tue, Mar 17 2020 10:58 PM

--info edited to initial post--

• paueett
    41 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2020 2:51 AM

So I had some decent balls left to test the wind thing... I just went to Pebble and reset until I got terrible winds in #1 and #3, obviously in those holes you can definitely drive it over the trees but curving it looks cooler ;)

I got some pretty decent draws and fades despite of the wind, the sidewinds were in the 20s and looking at the replay from camera 1 the path seems to be altered by around 10? Not sure just eyeballing it, and I did play around with different spins.. but the curve is very much still there

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Sat, Mar 21 2020 11:57 AM

Thanks for the update and additional replay examples, paueett.  So it looks like when you are trying to draw or fade into a heavy wind, you hit the same (off-ding) shot but your aim point is more straight off the tee.  Very cool.

RSS