Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putt Precision vs Forgiveness.

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 11 2020 6:30 AM (7 replies)
  • BigT612
    9 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2020 9:58 AM

If you have one hat that is a 26 in Precision and one is a 30 in Forgiveness which one would you use?  Thanks 

• AlaskanDame
    18,869 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2020 10:48 AM

If I’m an off ding putter, I would choose precision.  If I have trouble hitting the ding  and WANT to hit the ding , I would choose forgiveness.

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2020 11:43 AM

Reality is the numbers aren't high enough to realistically see any difference.

I have played around with it. and the best way to tell is to play H2H "play with a Friend" games on mobile.

So both my forgiveness is high and precision is decent. but i've played with low precision too.

Here is the truth of the matter.

If you play H2Hs  "Play with a Friend"you will see that you can use Putt  Preview on all the putts. These are putts that if you hit the ding and the power you used the ball will go and travel on this path. so you're goal is to duplicate the same power and hit the ding. Putt preview is based on Ding putting.

So let's assume you read the putt perfect you don't need to make any marker adjustments. 

Reality is unless it's a short putt. if you miss the ding you will almost always miss the putt.. If you hit the ding you will almost always make it.

(with the exception of if your initial read hit the lip and went in. because lipouts do a random roll. this is why on preview it will go in and in reality it sometimes lips out. despite hitting the ding) Lipouts on preview need to be slightly adjusted.

So.. my conclusion is that the putting bonuses are probably more in your head than anything. it doesn't seem to me that they actually affect play.

and there is no comparable scale of what +80 forgiveness is in relation ship to a putter that has a forgiveness of 3.5.   What is the 80 equal to? 1/10th? 1? who knows.

• fmagnets
    3,638 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2020 1:40 PM

Mythanatos:

and there is no comparable scale of what +80 forgiveness is in relation ship to a putter that has a forgiveness of 3.5.   What is the 80 equal to? 1/10th? 1? who knows.

+80 is +8%, so your 3.5 becomes 3.78. You'd barely notice the difference once precision is above about 4.5.

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2020 5:31 PM

Personally, I would just go with a balsa wood putter and a strong grip...

• callaghan159
    6,214 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 2:16 AM

Hockey stick always worked for me here in Canada.

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 3:48 AM

I have been known to use my 1 iron to putt. But that was because the idiot that I am left my putter at home, 

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Wed, Mar 11 2020 6:30 AM

fmagnets:
    +80 is +8%, so your 3.5 becomes 3.78. You'd barely notice the difference once precision is above about 4.5.

Yardages on Driver and 3W are 7.2% for an 80 rating. but Have something empirical to look at. How was forgiveness and such arrived at? 

i believe you. im just curious as to the source of the data.

RSS