Forums

Help › Forums

Re: coins do have value to some at least...

Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:13 PM (7 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Feb 27 2020 2:37 PM

could ruffle WGT (Turkey hat)  feathers... but found it interesting to see visually... some turkey to chew on I guess or food for thought.

It always amazes me to see people in coin rooms playing balls that cost a 1000 credits or more and they do it with nearly maxed out sponsor apparel even off of forward tee boxes.

Yet, people regularly claim coins are worthless... but if someone is using a higher end ball is it the coins or winning they value more?  What are you winning except coins? 

Showdowns have created a new twist (where there are payouts), but with the ongoing issues and glitches that continue to impact each event, you are taking a chance when you participate hoping you are not negatively impacted.  And, WGT forces everyone to play in rooms that offer a lower ROI unless you downgrade your ball.  

I have observed WGT promoting successful coin room players who primarily play cheaper balls... so it isn't necessarily all in the ball you use.  You can't necessarily buy a better game, without putting in the work.  Interestingly enough, it is the jacked up sponsor apparel allows you to play a cheaper ball more competitively.  

As for coins and apparel, you are paying for them in ball hits whether you like them or not if you play coin games... this is what that cost looks like for the 250k rooms and below.  

---

along these same lines the effective cost of chasing something like the L10 sponsor apparel SE driver hat will take thousands of coin room games to acquire - especially when you factor in the apparel is distributed "randomly" even when you have selected a specific sponsor. 

as such, if you apply the cost per game in credits to the amount of coin games required to level up an apparel item - if that is all you seek - players will easily in effect spend tens of thousands of credits to upgrade to an L10 SE hat especially if they are using high end balls.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Thu, Feb 27 2020 4:18 PM

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Thu, Feb 27 2020 6:11 PM

TopShelf2010:

Outstanding work my friend.

It is always easier to look at something as opposed to reading what someone is trying to describe.

Nicely done.

Don

+1,000,000

Me too, I like this of work. He's kinda guy who is great to have around at the office and makes everything so much easier for everyone.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2020 5:00 PM

To me, the value of coins is this: it allows you to evaluate your skills against other players. Winning more coins enable you to play higher stakes games against better players. Plus, everyone who play video games in general always love to compete live against others. Coins act as a kind of “fee” in this case. Now why do us mobile players need to pay this “fee” in order to play live against other players, when you can play for free on Flash, is an entirely different topic. OTOH, mobile can use coins to upgrade apparel and have more variety for their avatars’ wardrobes, while with Flash you need to pay credits. 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2020 5:42 PM

fobby1980:

To me, the value of coins is this: it allows you to evaluate your skills against other players. 

+1 

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Mon, Mar 2 2020 11:55 PM

If you friend higher tiered players you can play them as friends free !

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 10:46 AM

Valid points and input... I only wished to show that even coins some view as worthless still cost people credits in ball use to obtain them.  As such, some are paying more than others by simply using a higher end ball.  Of course win percentage plays a factor as well.

One thing I have considered incorporating with the chart is possibly a formula where you could take your win percentage in a particular coin room and compare it to a likely lower win percentage in a higher coin room in order to compare which room is ideal for your current skill level since moving up in coin rooms generally mean the competition will be tougher and your win rate will go down. 

But it may still be a better move.  It is just hard to know without doing the math or testing it on your own.  When I started out, I would only play one or two matches in a higher room, drop back down, to keep my bankroll from taking too big a hit.

Another option might be... once you achieve a certain win percentage in a lower room say 65 or 70%... you could likely project what win percentage you would need in a higher coin room to maintain that level of progress even if your win rate dropped to 58 -62% for example.   While you may feel you are losing more.. you could possibly still be making more than you would in a lower coin room with a better win rate.   Obviously ball choice plays a role in that. 

• BOZskills
    387 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:13 PM

I think Fobby hits the proverbial nail on the head. However would we not play the coin rooms if there were no coins involved? Also i think that there is confusion between cost and value.imho.

RSS